View Diary: The Media: Israel and Nuclear Weapons (236 comments)

•  Most people don't (1+ / 0-)
    capelza

know that days run from sundown to sundown.

Silly diary, but not likely that it was intended to exploit the holiday.

Incremental measures won't suffice anymore. Sen. Kennedy - July 18, 2009

by JesseCW on Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 03:07:49 PM PDT

•  The more I look at the diary (3+ / 0-)

I disagree. I mean look at the poll question.....

Why doesn't the diarist just come out and tell us about the "Jewish controlled media". Who is asking Journalists not to ask questions - eh???

How do we end Practice? We end practice with a Team Fight! ---- My five year old at the end of his soccer practice.

by volleyboy1 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 03:58:02 PM PDT

•  Surely you know that lots of journalists (4+ / 0-)

get lots of pressure not to ask lots of people lots of questions about lots of things.  And lots of journalists impose that same guidance on themselves.

•  Oh come on.... is this the "Jewish controlled (1+ / 0-)
          aggregatescience

media" again.....

American MSM journalists are not warned off Israel it is just that the Israeli gov't doesn't talk about it's nukes so there is not much of a story.

You as a Jew should know better than this. I understand you want to see the good in people but, not everyone is good. The President of Iran is a raving Anti-Semite. Having nuclear weapons makes Israel nervous.

But... they are not attacking and they won't. Despite all the little crying of "TEH JOOZ ARE COMING" they are not. Simply put they are not going to do it.

by volleyboy1 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 04:13:40 PM PDT

•  What does the president of Iran (5+ / 0-)

have to do with journalists talking or not talking about Israeli nukes?  Seriously, I'm completely confused by your comment here, especially since you've read comments of mine where I've specifically said that Iran is not a good actor, to put it mildly.

I think you're conflating multiple issues here, so it's hard for me to know how to respond.

•  Clearly You Don't Know Any Journalists (7+ / 0-)

US journalists working on Middle East issues are routinely, if informally, warned off questioning the dominant narrative regarding Israel by the simple expedient of having the story pitch refused in the first place, having the budget pulled in the second place, having the story spiked in the third place, by being reassigned to another beat in the fourth place, or by simply being left in place and never given any airtime or ink in the fifth place.

This is not a pattern unique to coverage of Israel, this is a pattern common to most dominant geopolitical narratives.

If you doubt this, you've probably never heard of Ray Bonner, Gary Webb, or Lucia Newman, and you've can't have read enough Gramsci to understand what hegemony is really about or how it works.

•  I wouldn't be so sure of (0+ / 0-)

that, Volley.

I think it's quite possible that sometime in the coming months we'll see Israel hit Iranian nuke facilities.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly. - Mr. Carlson

by Karmafish on Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 05:02:55 PM PDT

•  Volley? Even if the diarist masturabtes to (2+ / 0-)

pictures of Eichmann, that hasn't got a lot to do with my point.

I'll bet you dimes to donuts that not more than one in four Americans can even tell you what Yom Kippur is in a general sense, and one in ten might have known it was Yesterday.

Odds are, folks who believe in a "Jewish Controlled Media" aren't the most informed about such things.

Incremental measures won't suffice anymore. Sen. Kennedy - July 18, 2009

by JesseCW on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 07:04:52 AM PDT

•  Right..... (0+ / 0-)

I agree with that - I guess I am not sure with the context here. I think that the diarists points of a controlled media regarding Israel is wrong.

How does that fit in with your point? Not being snarky... I just don't get it.

by volleyboy1 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 09:23:35 AM PDT

•  Oh, I'm saying just that I doubt that the Diarist (1+ / 0-)
            volleyboy1

was trying to exploit the day yesterday.

The diarists premise is false (which I address below), but I just don't think that means this tool knew it was Yom Kippur :)

Incremental measures won't suffice anymore. Sen. Kennedy - July 18, 2009

by JesseCW on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:23:30 AM PDT

•  Ahhh ok - I will give you that - (0+ / 0-)

you could be right.... Nice phraseology though Rec.'d for that and that I think you are a good guy.

by volleyboy1 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:49:57 AM PDT

•  nope, this was part of the international plot (1+ / 0-)
      jon the antizionist jew

against Israel and the diarist has probably been paid by Iran and gets double on holidays

(snark)