View Diary: Hitler. Was. Not. Vegetarian. (154 comments)

•  Not bacon, but krill and zooplankton (2+ / 0-)
    snakelass, Thassa

and I've been yelled at by some vegans for pointing that out. I don't understand it, I'm actually pretty understanding of the good science behind eating less meat, and with some modern tricks like B12 enriched yeast it can be possible to get all your nutrients from non-animal sources. But don't go into the anti-science, dogmatic world or I'll slap you silly. Metaphorically speaking. Personally I'm hoping someone cracks the secret of cornucopic vats. Then I'll have the meat I want with no moral and no health problems. Happy days!

I'm a Puntheist. If your religion doesn't make you laugh out loud at least once a week you may have picked the wrong one.

by ontheleftcoast on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:43:27 PM PDT

•  Some brands of (0+ / 0-)

bacon bits, like Tone's, are made from soy.

•  Soylent Green, maybe. (1+ / 0-)
        doinaheckuvanutjob

"i find the resemblace of DemocraticLuntz and Arken to Disney style yapping jackals to be astoundingly accurate"

by DemocraticLuntz on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:57:25 PM PDT

•  Texture plant protien just doesn't (2+ / 0-)
        snakelass, GreenHills

"cut" it for me. The flavor has gotten better over the years, and there are some amazing veggie burgers out there. But I'm not happy enough with them to give up all meat. Still, I eat way less than I used to because I can't do all the calories. And I've reducing my consumption even more for the water foot print and other impacts to the environment as well. Like I said, the science is compelling. The taste, the texture, and the rhetoric, not so much.

by ontheleftcoast on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 09:05:12 PM PDT

•  I've eaten some good meatless corn dogs. (0+ / 0-)

And I don't like meatless hot dogs. The texture is all wrong. But the meatless corn dogs are pretty good, form some reason.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:13:05 PM PDT

•  Maybe just because "real" corn dogs are so bad? (0+ / 0-)

Speaking from decades old memory, anyway. I hated corn dogs, even while I liked most every other kind of meat dish.

My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.
            --Carl Schurz, remarks in the Senate, February 29, 1872

by leftist vegetarian patriot on Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 03:04:00 PM PDT

•  Corn dogs are nature's most perfect food. (1+ / 0-)
              leftist vegetarian patriot

A fresh corn dog, still hot from the grease is an excellent thing. Frozen corn dogs, not so much. But the vegetarian frozen corn dogs are pretty good. I think that a stand at a fair that sold freshly made vegetarian corn dogs would make some pretty good money - the vegetarians would have fair food they could eat.

Of course, if you don't like corn dogs, you might noy agree.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 09:39:32 PM PDT

•  Not textured plant protein.... (0+ / 0-)

...real cloned meat, grown from a few hundred cells taken out of a live animal.

Of course, that opens up interesting possibilities. You could theoretically take the cells from yourself rather than a cow.

"What's for dinner tonight, dear?"
          "You are!"

On the less facetious side, we'll be able to recreate all the exotic feasts of antiquity without knocking a further hole in the biosphere. Peacock livers at Mark Antony's at five p.m.....

On s'engage, et puis, on voit. (Napoleon)

by sagesource on Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:14:40 PM PDT

•  Plastics are made from soy beans too (3+ / 0-)
        sagesource, sam storm, Pris from LA

You'd be eating plastic.

Hirohito and Tojo ate tofu.

Je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho