View Diary: Conservatives stand with Taliban against the President (399 comments)

•  I'm sorry but, how is a diary like this (5+ / 0-)
    Jim J, Wamsutta, willibro, evanaj, Jon Says

any different to the kind of crap that Republicans used to spew about Democrats being supportive of Al Qaeda because we were against the Iraq War?

I thought we were better than them. Obviously not. The hypicrisy is astounding, but I am sure you'll spin it another wsy.

•  Agreed (3+ / 0-)
      Jim J, willibro, Jon Says

Republicans are wrong, but they are not "standing with the Taliban" - that's just fucking stupid, GOP style.

They aren't terrorists, they are whiny 13 year olds.

Get it right.

The Democrats just never learn: Americans don't really care which side of an issue you're on as long as you don't act like pussies - Bill Maher

by Wamsutta on Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 11:01:54 AM PDT

•  So all their talk (1+ / 0-)
        goObama

of secession, civil war and revolution is just boys being boys?

I cannot fathom why so many here fall into this bizarre false equivalence. We treat them differently than us because Code Pink never took assault rifles to townhalls.

"Karl Rove giving Dems advice is the DEFINITION of 'Concern Troll'" - punkdavid

by Darkmoth on Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 11:27:37 AM PDT

•  Nice subject change (1+ / 0-)
          Mysteron

This isn't about assault rifles and seditious talk. This is about calling your opponents "terrorists" because they disapprove of the same things as terrorists. That's what they used to yell at us. Now we're yelling it at them. It is stupid bullshit no matter who is yelling it.

Some of our political opponents may or may not be terrorists. But they sure as hell won't be terrorists simply because they and the Taliban both happen to hate Obama getting a Nobel Peace Prize.

This is the space age. Time to look beyond this rundown, radioactive, cop-rotten planet. - Bill Burroughs

by willibro on Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 12:03:32 PM PDT

•  Yes, it's stupid bullshit (0+ / 0-)

We can agree on that. Where we differ is me wondering why it's so important we don't do stupid political bullshit when they're packing assault rifles.

It wasn't a subject change, I am highlighting the fact that there are fundamental differences between us that go far beyond political gamesmanship. It seems silly to me to criticize our side for (again admitted) political BS given the fight we are in.

"Karl Rove giving Dems advice is the DEFINITION of 'Concern Troll'" - punkdavid

by Darkmoth on Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 12:22:54 PM PDT

•  Because it doesn't help (0+ / 0-)

Stunts are stunts. Some really help to frame messages and get the word out. But most are stupid, and a few are really ugly into the bargain (like this GOP-terrorists linkage). Any that don't help are not needed and should be called out for what they are, so we stop doing them.

It's like Code Pink. I mostly love them  as political theatre -- but only  because I'm to the left of, say, Emma Goldman. I happen to know for a fact that they often anger my more moderate/independent  friends, because they sometimes demo for peace by verbally assaulting individual soldiers, and also deal in so much bullshit PC rhetoric. They also don't take criticism well, and as an organization don't seem to learn from their mistakes. So I don't give money to them and won't ever support them with my volunteer time.

I also know for a fact that bringing assault rifles to town halls helped convince a lot of those same moderates and independents that people opposing HCR were really fucking nuts, and that maybe they ought to pay more attention to the arguments on the other side.

So it works both ways. Bullshit is bullshit, whether it is intended to help our side or theirs. I don't actually care about the intent. I happen to think facts and reality have a liberal bias. So I try to support facts and reality in politics wherever I can, and call out bullshit whenever I see it. I figure that's the best way to help progressive causes.

by willibro on Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 01:09:09 PM PDT

•  Fair enough (0+ / 0-)

We could certainly have a good debate on whether it was effective or not. In fact, I'd probably side more with the "not" -  it was rather predictable and juvenile.

I think what gets me sometimes is the feeling that we're not allowed to be partisan, or hypocritical, or juvenile, or human basically. Yes - Dick Cheney could do the exact same thing Nancy Pelosi does and I'd trust Cheney less. I absolutely have a double standard there, as I suspect most of us do. I just don't see why Progressives beat each other up over such things.

"Karl Rove giving Dems advice is the DEFINITION of 'Concern Troll'" - punkdavid

by Darkmoth on Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 01:28:26 PM PDT

•  Totally different! (0+ / 0-)

The GOP made Al Qaeda comparisons about those who had policy differences with them. What's the policy behind tearing down a US President who wins the Peace Price. It's just pure evil....aka Al Qaeda.

•  And spun as I expected (0+ / 0-)

Policy or not is irrelevant. At the end of the day do you really think those nuances are at the backs of people's minds when trash like this appears? Some people will use any excuse to justify their hypocrisy. Policy or not, it makes us no better than the right wingers.