View Diary: Truth is, the Nobel committees don't give a s--t. (224 comments)

•  Please use full names in tags. One (possible) (12+ / 0-)

exception to this:

If, as sometimes happens, someone claims to have been 'nominated for a Nobel prize', they're BS-ing you. The nominating process is done in absolute secrecy to guard this integrity.

IIRC, last year, Cindy Sheehan said she'd been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Fox picked up on this and tried to turn it into the usual smear. To that end, they booked Stephanie Miller on one of their babble-shows. They had picked the wrong woman, though, Stephanie called the Associated Press, the AP confirmed that they had called Cindy Sheehan to make sure she'd be available in the middle of the night in case she'd won, the AP wanted the story.

I haven't heard anything since Stephanie Miller's Fox interview where she said, "It's called reporting, you guys should try it sometime". Certainly, if Steph had gotten it wrong, the AP would have denied the story, and we'd still be hearing about it to this day.

All evil needs to succeed is for good people to say "the votes aren't there in the Senate."

by Jacques on Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 06:57:59 PM PDT

•  Am I correct in saying previous Nobel Peace (3+ / 0-)
      snakelass, raster44, dwayne

Prize winners each get to nominate someone for the prize each year?

The reason I ask this is that I am a Quaker and it is my understanding that the American Friends Service Committee gets a nomination. In the past I have heard whom they nominated.

Public option or corporate option...pick one.

by Jane Lew on Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 09:03:26 PM PDT

•  Info: (3+ / 0-)
        snakelass, raster44, dwayne

There's a list of people who can nominate Peace Prize winners on this web site that describes the process.

They're asking for another four years -- in a just world, they'd get 10 to 20. ~~ Dennis Kucinich

by NonnyO on Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 09:58:11 PM PDT

•  Yes (5+ / 0-)

Former recipients are allowed to nominate to the prize they won, for all the prizes.

My point there was mostly to debunk the widespread idea that being 'nominated for a Nobel Prize' is some kind of honor, given how some people go around boasting the claim. Obviously due to the secrecy, you have no way of knowing if they really were, and whether they were seriously considered if true.

So the nominating party claiming to have nominated someone might not be "BS", but the person bragging they're a "nominee" almost certainly is "BS-ing" in some form.

•  The Nobel committee is not the only source of (6+ / 0-)

information about the Nobel Peace Prize nominees.

Among Quakers, whom the American Friends Service Committee nominates is no secret. Secrecy is absolutely against the way we do things. I could probably find out tomorrow the name of every person nominated by the American Friend's Service Committee since 1947.

Quakers consider it a great honor to be able to make a nomination and take the process seriously. Whom we nominate is product of discussion and consensus in the American Friends Service Committee.

IMHO is an extreme honor to be nominated by the American Friends Service Committee.

People who win the Nobel Peace Prize are serious people. They take the nomination process seriously. While some may choose not to say whom they nominate, many do.

If a Nobel Prize winner states whom they have nominated, I have no reason to disbelieve them. If on the other had a person claims to have been nominated without verification I would probably take that claim with a large grain of salt.

Public option or corporate option...pick one.

by Jane Lew on Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 11:41:33 PM PDT

•  Certainly (6+ / 0-)

I'd consider it an honor to be nominated by the AFSC too - But the honor in that is from the AFSC's good reputation more than that of the prizes.

People who win the Nobel are serious. But not everyone qualified to nominate is equally serious. For instance, for the Peace Prize, every member of the Norwegian parliament (and some other parliaments). Would it be an honor to be nominated by someone like Michelle Bachmann? Obviously there will be some nominations hardly worth the paper they're written on.

(Even Hitler got a nomination once! Which was retracted though)

•  I think one might differentiate (2+ / 0-)
              raster44, Nowhere Man

candidates by the classification of the person nominating them.

It would be an honor to be nominated by an actual winner of the Peace Prize.

I think sometimes nominees are not actually specific. The story is told that the year the AFSC and the British service committee won, it was said that the Nobel committee wanted to give the Prize to someone who had done relief work during WWII. They evidently  had decided upon the Quakers, but did not know whom the most appropriate recipient would be.

It is a story I read a long time ago and my details may be a little fuzzy. I hope it is not apocryphal.

I do think it is best to have a wide variety of nominees otherwise we might not get the unexpected brilliant out of left field nominee who occasionally wins.

As Linus Pauling said in order to have good ideas you have to have lots of ideas.

I think the same thing can be said for Nobel nominees

Public option or corporate option...pick one.

by Jane Lew on Sun Oct 11, 2009 at 02:12:22 AM PDT

•  I found a history of how the AFSC came to be (0+ / 0-)

nominated and win the Nobel Peace Prize. It is long,  detailed, footnoted  and  extremely fascinating...at least to me :^)

This is from the American Friends Service Committee site.

Public option or corporate option...pick one.

by Jane Lew on Sun Oct 11, 2009 at 12:27:06 PM PDT

•  Why would anyone *make* that claim? (0+ / 0-)

A person who wins the Nobel Peace Prize may be truly concerned more with the goal of their work than with their own egos. (I think it's safe to guess that King and Jane Addams, for two, were in this category.) Such a person probably wouldn't feel it's worth mentioning that they've been nominated.

And then there are those who do good work in spite of, or even because of, world-class egos; probably most elected officials are in this group. These folks wouldn't want to mention that they'd been nominated, because then not winning would be humiliating for them.

I'm sure there are folks who aren't well described as being in either group, but I'm still left to wonder: what would motivate a person to mention that they'd been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, other than a desperate attempt to inflate their own ego?

Even though our dream is not yet completed... we are not quitters... and we are not through. Ty'Sheoma Bethea

by Nowhere Man on Sun Oct 11, 2009 at 10:46:30 AM PDT

•  The Nobel committee goes out of its way (1+ / 0-)
              Nowhere Man

to try to avoid giving the prize to folks who campaign for the honor. Some are disqualified because of "personality problems" even though they have done excellent work. The Nobel committee does not want to reward people who will damage the reputation of the prize.

Over the years mistakes have been made, but it has not been for the lack of trying.

I wouldn't judge too harshly people who have been nominated. If a friend of mine were nominated, I would consider it odd if he/she did not talk about it. I have known families of two Nobel prize winners in the sciences; the families are with reason exceedingly proud.

Public option or corporate option...pick one.

by Jane Lew on Sun Oct 11, 2009 at 12:38:13 PM PDT

•  OK (0+ / 0-)

I guess you're talking about people who mention the nomination in confidence, then? I'd thought you were referring to those who make public pronouncements about it. The only ones I can think of in that category are indeed of dubious quality.

by Nowhere Man on Sun Oct 11, 2009 at 05:15:39 PM PDT