View Diary: WA Gov -- to the weekend (17/39 counted) (52 comments)

•  Ross v Bush (none)

Rossi is infinitely more appealing than Bush ...

but, of course, that's starting from the very nadir of human existence.

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sat Dec 11, 2004 at 03:52:18 PM PST

•  No, no (none)
      Rossi gives me the creeps - - even if he was a democrat I would not vote for him.

There is something very devious about him - even his snarky responses to this whole election bit has not endeared me to him - on the contrary.

So I am truly hoping that this count will get rid of him.

I don't think I can handle Bush and Rossi at the same time without going insade -- and wondering if the whole United States have not lost its collected mind.

...Release the Hounds

by sara seattle on Sat Dec 11, 2004 at 04:11:27 PM PST

•  I don't like Rossi (none)
         -- but Gregoire is no peach.  She is lucky tho.  If she lived in the Chicago area someone by now would have given her a little talking to.

I see it as two bad choices with one being marginally better (Gregoire). She is likely to behave like her predecesor (soft and warm on the outside (democrat) while hard core on the inside (republican). We have got a mess out here in far northwest Whatcom County related to a totally unnecessary gas pipeline that her office missed deadlines on and has underperformed basic expectations (Georgia Straigth Crossing project).  You have to understand - the pipeline delivers gas from Canada to Canada PASSING THROUGH our county in a very pristine shoreline area.  No jobs, relatively little taxes - no pay off at all. We believe that Locke supported it and that her office messed up the appeals.  The Dept of Ecology missed critical deadlines.

Glad she is a Democrat....would hate to see how a REAL Republican would act.  That is the ONLY reason that I support her at all - Rossi would be worse.  But don't kid yourselves - she leaves much to be desired...If elected she will probably feel she has to become EVEN MORE Republican, while Rossi will behave as though it is a mandate for a bunch of right wing policies.  We are screwed either way.  Too bad someone didnt make her sign a pledge on how she would behave in office.

Outsiders think WA state is liberal..It IS - but outside of Seattle it is filled with complacent BO BOs (Borgeois Bohemians) who havent had to fight much for anything in a long, long time. I hate to hear the "New Age" speak that passes for discussion up here - pure bull.  Trying to get real work for change is much much harder. My husband and I came here from the East and haven't been too impressed with the get up and go in terms of progressive chuzpah...people like to "just get along".  As we have seen, though, that CAN be a recipe for disaster.

I hope she (loses or wins).  Don't know -truly. Maybe I will put together a diary of my and my husband's experiences in the last two years.  The more I see, the more I believe that many if not most current Democrats are not really progressive at all.  That is troubling and a major wake up call - those of you in blue states like mine that think you can relax - well, in my humble opinion - you can't and may be in the most danger.  Don't take the label "Democrat" for granted.  Right now there is no gurarantee of what that label means and the quality inside.

Sorry - don't want to mess up your great discussion.  Its just been inside and I am feeling more and more strongly that the truth must come out. I generally support Gregoire - but I don't trust her at all.

•  Whatcom County (none)
          I lived there for 13 years, before I became really political.  Bellingham is certainly the city of subdued excitement, with the real radicals centered at WWU/Fairhaven.  But right before we left, we noticed that the people we knew were getting more wrapped up in an alternative keeping-up-with-the-Jonses attitude.  I hope this wasn't a trend there.  The radicals did show up to make Ann Coulter's appearance there quite memorable, I was glad for that.

The area outside Bellingham is as conservative as it can get, with the Evangelical Republican epicenter being Lynden.

I didn't know Gregoire had anything to do with that gas pipeline.  The potential for damage to the herring spawning grounds off Cherry Point is quite high if the project is still going in the water there.

Don Rumsfeld: the new Marie Antoinette

by lapin on Sat Dec 11, 2004 at 07:04:21 PM PST

•  No direct fingerprints (none)
            ..just following the faint blood drips.  The GSX proposal was first submitted somwhere in 2001 under her very good buddy Gov Locke.  At least 2 key deadlines were missed by the Dept of Ecology and there were a lot of weird communications with Williams where Williams maintains that they were told that they didnt need to apply for certain essential local permits.  Over the ensuing years, as Whatcom County and the State dialed in to the fact that there wasnt much in it for the state and as public awareness and resistance grew, things started to go harder for Williams.  With FERC on their side, however,and two missed deadlines by the State they believed that they could proceed.  The state took them to court and there is currently a lawsuit against FERC  asserting that the two missed deadlines were not indeed relevant and asserting the states clean water regulations be enforced no matter what. (WOW! - that should stop 'em) The Attorney General's office under Gregoire withdrew the part of the lawsuit challenging FERC's right to require a deadline and is now just going with trying to get the Feds to allow the State to assert the clean water standards.

Woven through all this is the sense that the ball was purposely dropped by the Dept of Ecology and the Attorney General's office early on.  Those of us fighting this project have been running to catch up ever since.

Now, do I know emphatically that she is responsible personally. No. Do I feel that there was some kind of green light given to Williams by the Locke administration.  Yes.  Do I believe that the Attorney General's Office under Gregoire has been less than assertive and that the Dept of Ecology screwed up big time.  Yes.

It aint over yet. BC HYDRO - the purchaser for this gas may yet chose another alternative than GSX because as this thing has undergone these delays, the dollar signs have been going up...Still, it has refused to die before so we aren't taking anything for granted.

Yes - as you say, if implemented, it will go through pristine marine habitat and fisheries.  The pipeline can also be theoretically reversed to delivery liquified natural gas (LNG) a much more explosive substance from Vancouver Island to Cherry Point and across Whatcom County.

People here are against it but as you know, the proponents of these projects wear people down over the years and years that it takes to stop them.  We are very concerned that if implemented, GSX will not only needlessly endanger our marine habitat, but be a foothold for putting even MORE heavy industry there.

We fight on.  That said, I don't like what I learned about her and have grave concerns about her leadership though as I said, Dino is probably much worse.

•  In June (?) 1999 (none)
              I was walking out the back door of my office, which was basically at the intersection of James and Iowa.  In the distance I saw a large black cloud, then flame shooting down Whatcom Creek.  The flames were at least 100 feet high.  The subsided before the reached I-5, but the forest surrounding the creek up by Whatcom Falls was blazing.  I knew the dad of one of the kids who died that day.  I will never forget seeing that or visiting the creek a few days later and the charred remnants that were there.

I couldn't believe the bullshit carelessness that Olympic Pipeline exhibited.  Olympic was the worst though.  Under-resourcing that operation was intentional and the penalties they received should have been much stiffer.

About two years earlier, we witnessed a flaming break on a north-south gas line that lit up the entire Nooksack Valley.  I read in the paper soon after that those flames rose 300 ft into the sky.

Something about Whatcom County and pipelines.  Thanks for the update on the status of that law suit.  Do you have source links for documentation? Case name?  I'd like to read more about it.  Sounds like a test of states rights, even with involvement of Gregoire and her actions.

Don Rumsfeld: the new Marie Antoinette

by lapin on Sun Dec 12, 2004 at 08:17:57 PM PST

•  I owe you that (none)
                ..will be putting together a diary hopefully soon that will contain all the links.  Need to sit down and document the sequence of decisions and info for myself first.  It is a compelling insight not into just Whatcom County's politics but also the increasing power of multinational corporations.

Funny, when my husband and I moved here, we thought we were pretty aware people.  However, out here at the edge of the United States land mass, we see some dynamics that the rest of the US mainland is pretty sheltered from.  We SEE and experience the triangulation of power among the energy and energy affiliated corporations as well as the land developers in their fairly naked splendor.  Our local populace are pretty laid back about it but we are appalled.

More in our diary to come...lots and lots is happening and changing with many implications for us in this country.

•  Hope you do a diary (none)

be sure to let us know, will you?  (It's easy to miss diaries here.)

I used to wonder about the politics in Clallam County until we started going to Dean Meetups.  I met the greatest bunch of people ever.  Smart, savvy, involved.  In other words, it took a while since the move from Seattle in 2000 to get to know people here.

(Worrisome what you say about Gregoire's office.)

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sat Dec 11, 2004 at 07:14:17 PM PST

•  Damn liberals (none)
          ...outside of Seattle it is filled with complacent BO BOs (Borgeois Bohemians) who havent had to fight much for anything in a long, long time. I hate to hear the "New Age" speak that passes for discussion up here - pure bull.  Trying to get real work for change is much much harder. My husband and I came here from the East and haven't been too impressed with the get up and go in terms of progressive chuzpah (emphasis switzer's)

OUTSIDE Seattle?  That pretty much describes the situation IN Seattle.  We've gotten fat 'n' sassy in Seattle, and the chickens have come home to roost with this race for Governor.  The old maxim, "all the votes you need to win can be seen from the space needle" still holds true, but you have to put in your work.

I agree with SusanHu, btw - give us a diary on the pipeline situation.

I put things where they don't belong at Switzerblog.

by switzerblog on Sat Dec 11, 2004 at 09:19:04 PM PST

•  Will do (none)
            --its a long and complex story, still unfolding. There are some real key questions and issues that I think mark the beginning of a type of transition to a future where even nation states are not the ruling entities, but rather multinational companies. In this case, the electrical generation and pipeline companies are the big players across both US and Canadian governments.  There are similar stories all along the west coast in CA and up across Wyoming and Montana too.

Will do my best to lay it out in a way that everyone can understand and see the implications of.