View Diary: VIDEO: Spine Flu Epidemic Hitting Democrats HARD! (285 comments)

•  This is why I kind of want Spector to win. (3+ / 0-)

We know he's such an abject coward as long as we threaten him he will do whatever we want.

Sestak I think is more likely to blow off the netroots.

There's something attractive about invincible ignorance... for the first 5 seconds.

by MNPundit on Mon Oct 19, 2009 at 02:07:18 PM PDT

•  I can see your point there. (4+ / 0-)

Sestak also called out the Baucus bill as the worst bill to go with, and has supported the House bill instead over it.

I work full-time with the FDL team on health reform thanks to your donations.

by slinkerwink on Mon Oct 19, 2009 at 02:08:07 PM PDT

•  But he is a loud single payer supporter. (3+ / 0-)

The guy is no slouch. He'd be much better than Sen. Specter.

No more money for non-progressive Democrats from me, ever.

by iconoclastic cat on Mon Oct 19, 2009 at 02:11:03 PM PDT

•  Sorry, but he is not (0+ / 0-)

..... at all.  Sestak talked a wonderful story in 2006 about the need for health care reform, but until 2008 didn't mention it hardly, until he made noises he was running for Senate.  So his old congressional campaign account got real pumped up with dough (4.2 million) before he officially filed for the Senate run.  Meanwhile he would not commit to voting with the Progressive caucus on making sure the final bill has a Public Option in it.
          He had somebody posting several diaries here where he was asked directly about his support for a bill with the Public Option in it and not only was the question ignored, the responses were "just go look at this link" which went to his.... campaign website or his congress site.  I read thru all that crap, found nothing that indicated he supported the Public Option other than he signed off on his congressional committee's House version of it.  NOTHING that said Sestak says Bill Must Contain Public Option, on the contrary, at that time, it was sounding like Sestak would have been quite happy with co opts.

Only since Arlen Specter has come out verbally with a commitment to getting the Public Option in the final bill has Sestak "gotten with the program."

This has rather surprised me but when I also looked at his campaign donations spiking like that with defense and pharma and investment money when he (Sestak) was not really committed to the P/O, I got a bit more cynical about the whole thing.

Repeat. 4.2 million warchest in congressional campaign account that he cannot legally use to run for the Senate, so it is going to be interesting to see how the money gets re donated to pacs and other candidates several times.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.  Arlen has a chance to go out as Senator that helped get the country towards universal health care.  Sestak has a chance to put another hawk in the Senate.

And I would not call Arlen a coward. He's a tough old guy who's survived cancer twice.  Neither of them are.

"Toads of Glory, slugs of joy... as he trotted down the path before a dragon ate him"-Alex Hall/ Stop McClintock

by AmericanRiverCanyon on Mon Oct 19, 2009 at 05:55:15 PM PDT

•  These attacks on Sestak (1+ / 0-)
            Cedwyn

are getting old, ARC.

Have you ever heard the man speak?  Have you ever spoken with him or met him?  Do you know him?

You really slam him all the time and I can't understand why.  I do know him and have spoken with him a number of times.  I've talked to a few of his family members at campaign events and they've told us about him.  I've heard a former navy man who served under Joe tell stories several times. I have attended many of his events and have followed all his issues and votes.  I'm not saying he's perfect but he's a lot better than you give him credit for.

Health care has been a priority for him from the first day he began running for Congress.  You'll hear him speak of it in almost every speech, town hall, etc.  TriCare is a single payer system that Sestak praises every time he talks about health care.  It's the health care system that saved his daughter's life.  His primary goal when he began running for office was to get health care like he had in TriCare for all Americans.

His views on how to implement good health care for all has evolved over time.  Joe is a details guy, which you would know if you ever attended a question and answer session with him, small or large.  At first he was saying that he just didn't see how Medicare for all program would be fiscally feasible.  In March/April, he came out for a strong public option.  As he has traveled through Pennsylvania and met more and more people, and studied the issue more, he has become an even more strong supporter for a true public option.  He talks about it in his speeches all the time.  He goes on TV defending it.  What more do you want?

•  Yes, I have heard him speak and have met him (0+ / 0-)

.... and I have spent part of my young life in his current congressional district, where I still have relatives.

I have zero patience for people who campaign on one thing or another prominently as a topic, and then don't follow through on it.

Tri care does not cover civilians. The civilians in his current congressional district are still waiting for .... something.

I don't see how perpetually running foreign wars to preserve our access to petroleum products when we don't tax the people making the gross profits off of said wars to pay for said wars, and let them run the entire nation into ruinous debt,  is fiscally feasible to infinity, either.

by AmericanRiverCanyon on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 02:16:24 AM PDT

•  Oops. When I copied the site (1+ / 0-)
                AmericanRiverCanyon

it didn't "take".  Here is the real one.  My very bad.

Jim Clyburn: "My father used to say, `Son, always remember that silence gives consent.'"

by alliedoc on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 03:29:03 AM PDT

•  "Perpetually running foreign wars" (0+ / 0-)

Sestak has been in favor of ending the Iraq war from the time he began running for Congress.

He has also been on TV numerous times to speak about the Afghanistan war.  When asked about sending the 40K troops McChrystal is asking for, Sestak strongly advised Pres. Obama to stop and reconsider this, and to define the goals of this war, and to provide an exit strategy before escalating.

He also was up against the military-industrial complex in his previous assignments in the Navy when he was tasked with redefining our Navy for a new post-cold war era.  This didn't sit well with the big military contractors who like very expensive, very long contracts for very big ships, et al.

More recently, he was opposed to a contract for a large number of fighter jets and engaged in debates about why we needed fewer.

This doesn't sound like a warmonger to me.  You are painting a false picture of this man, continually, and he doesn't deserve it.  I cannot understand why you constantly rail against him.  Are you an Arlen Specter supporter?  If so, just be honest and say so and defend your candidate instead of unfairly tearing down his opponent.

•  Well, Nate Silver had an interesting article (0+ / 0-)

a while ago suggesting that progressives might want to look again.  Titled, "Is Sestak the right choice for the left?".  Located here at 538.  It was written back in May but is worth thinking about.  I was interested in the fact that Progressive Punch ranks Sestak as the 158th most progressive out of 221 (non freshman democrats).

I agree that Sestak is  fooling people and think that Specter has been a closet Democrat all along.  I want to see what he is doing for us continue.  He has no reason to pretend anymore.

by alliedoc on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 03:24:54 AM PDT

•  Ack. I am going back to bed. (0+ / 0-)

I posted the wrong site (my copy  didn't work) and then posted it to the wrong message.

The Nate Silver article is actually here:  http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/...

by alliedoc on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 03:29:57 AM PDT

•  Hell you say! (4+ / 0-)

Have you heard the man speak? He'll fight like hell for progressives.

No more money for non-progressive Democrats from me, ever.

by iconoclastic cat on Mon Oct 19, 2009 at 02:09:28 PM PDT

•  Sestak I agree (1+ / 0-)
      AmericanRiverCanyon

the people's house of representatives has been just a stop over for the Admiral... I think he will blow-off the netroots/the grassroots/thepublic on his way to Senate Foreign Relations Committee and miltary affairs committee or geeze intelligence committees;

If you economize don't buy long-range jets that sort of thing you can get by on a billion or two. - Ted Turner

by anyname on Mon Oct 19, 2009 at 04:16:25 PM PDT

•  Just today (0+ / 0-)

Sestak spoke in Philadelphia at Independence Hall.  Ned Lamont came to Phila. to endorse Joe.

During his speech he said emphatically that he promises every person in Pennsylvania that he will always serve the people and not the special interests.

He is the kind of guy who tends to keep his promises.

•  Yeah, but what does that mean? Pennsylvania (0+ / 0-)

is a pretty conservative state at the core.

by alliedoc on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 03:27:06 AM PDT

•  he announced on dkos diary (0+ / 0-)

that he was running for Senator ( it was clear by then he was ) and stated his positions ( look up diaries cause I am doing this from memory )

immediately after that diary he came out for the public option but before that action alert calls to him got mushy answers about his support for PO....

he knows what will make him popular to get the vote so what does that mean in real terms....

a big freaking gamble .... he wants a position on the world stage as a Senator ..... Admiral to Senator

I'd like a real through going over from detailed biography of his pre-political era days... his statements his positions

Know what you are dealing with: successful politicians are masters at insincerity; and military top flag officers are trained masters of deception

by anyname on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 10:51:11 AM PDT

•  I have no clue why I don't trust him. I'm in (1+ / 0-)
              anyname

PA, by the way.  But, I don't.  I honestly always thought Specter was a closet democrat.  People paint him as a dyed in the wool Republican but I just don't think he is.  I don't know.  I tend to have good people instinct.  I could be wrong.

by alliedoc on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 03:26:48 PM PDT

•  Well, I have a friend in PA who would disagree (1+ / 0-)
      joanneleon

She thinks Sestak is a more reliable Democrat.  Also, don't forget that polls show Specter in trouble for the primary AND the general.