View Diary: Gallup: Record support for legalizing marijuana (334 comments)

•  Hope I'm wrong... (5+ / 0-)

but this is going to be a long, slow slog of attrition.  Fought state by state, court case by court case, police department by police department.  The propaganda was too atavistic and there are too many people and interests making too much money to be anything different, in my opinion.

"We're all working for the Pharaoh" - Richard Thompson

by mayan on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 06:05:40 AM PDT

•  You're probably right (3+ / 0-)
      high uintas, mayan, cybersaur

but the inprobable event that Federal law is overturned might kickstart the states.

I don't want a goldfish! I don't want a goldfish! -4.48, -4.56

by pseudopod on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 07:06:46 AM PDT

•  I think it already has been. (6+ / 0-)

However, I also think that the tide is starting to turn in sanity's favor.  It's only a matter of time now.

An agnostic not because I don't know if there's a God, but because I don't care.

by filmgeek83 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 07:10:54 AM PDT

•  Oh I agree... (3+ / 0-)

this has already come further than I ever though possible.  Of course, I didn't foresee black men being elected president and governor of Massachusetts in my lifetime either.

Still, I don't see politicians having the political gonads to step forward and deliver a knock-out blow on this issue - not with so much else going on.  So, I imagine it's gonna be step by step...inch by inch...ganja martyr by ganja martyr...until the dam finally breaks.

"We're all working for the Pharaoh" - Richard Thompson

by mayan on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 08:00:40 AM PDT

•  Direct democracy (2+ / 0-)
          cotterperson, blackjackal

The first full-blown legalization will happen out West via the referendum process - get the right measure on the ballot here in Oregon, run the right campaign, and you can clear 50%.  Needs to get done during the Obama years though - the window is short.

You couldn't load a pistol with dormitive virtue and shoot it into a breakfast-roll - CS Pierce

by Mr Raymond Luxury Yacht on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 08:52:15 AM PDT

•  Turning tide will begin with the die off (2+ / 0-)
        Angie in WA State, blackjackal

of those fools of my generation who can't see facts when they hit them in the face.

"Take it back, take it back. Oh no you can't say that. All of my friends are not dead or in jail." John Prine

by high uintas on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 09:16:31 AM PDT

•  And then you will get the fools.............. (1+ / 0-)
          high uintas

When the fools of this generation die off then you will have the fools of the next generation. This is not so much a generational thing as Ideology. Go to a fundamentalist church and check out the next generations fools and who we will be fighting on this matter.

•  There are fools in every generation but (0+ / 0-)

progress is just that, progress. It never moves at the speed we want, but like a small brook it erodes the rocks in it's way.

When I look back at the changes that have happened in my life time, I was 14 when Loving vs Virginia was decided. I was in DC in '68. I have seen women go from being an accessory to Speaker of the House and two Secretaries of State.

Even the youth in conservative churches are more foreward facing than their parents, I see it in young Mormons on the subject of LGBT issues. We move to the horizon, then we move the horizon.

BTW, I love your user name even if it creates an earworm every time I read it.

by high uintas on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 03:24:18 PM PDT

•  most likely! (5+ / 0-)

which is why we've got to push like hell for it now, while states and governors are desperate for money.  not be gauche and make light of the terrible economy, but this is a golden opportunity.  didn't someone once say "never let a good crisis go to waste?

The fights that matter have never been waged based on probability of success.
      Single payer now!

by Cedwyn on Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 07:49:23 AM PDT

•  This fight is only going to last another 20 yrs (1+ / 0-)
      blackjackal

at best.

The antiquated notions about marijuana are going to pass away, along with the last of the generation who (mainly) oppose it's use and who make such egregiously false claims about it's properties and use.

I've watched the marijuana debate my entire adult life.

Starting from the initial Marijuana Prohibition Era (1930s), the timeline for marijuana goes something like this:

1930s - Refer Madness and the Killer Weed that causes (name of disease or mental illness here).

1940s - Drug of choice of the evil Mexican Invasion of the southwest.  Watch out for those raping, murdering evildoers stoned into insanity on the Marijuana!

1950s - The evil Weed is going to corrupt our nation's youth!

1960s - Those dirty Hippies and their Pot will ruin this country!

1970s - This (cast iron pan slamming onto eggs) is Your Brain on Drugs (Pot)!  Pot will melt your brain, cause you to have mutant children and turn you into a murderous lunatic!  Don't believe those dirty Hippies, Pot is way, way worse than they say it is.

1980s - Just Say No!

1990s - Marijuana can help fight glaucoma?  Seriously?  We thought it was Teh Killer Weed....  wait a minute, it also helps fight a bunch of other medical conditions?  It helps cancer patients?  Maybe it should be  ok for medical patients to use it then... Maybe?

2000s - 13 States have some form of legal medical marijuana laws on the books. Another dozen or so states have laws moving on the issue.

2010s - ?

I say, 10 to 20 years for total legalization for recreational use by adults and full use of medical marijuana for a plethora of conditions.

I also firmly believe that only Federal legislation will truly bring about the Marijuana Reform that this country needs.

Every other issue that was informed by the consent of The People over the years has needed a federal imprimatur to succeed, from Suffrage (the Vote) to Employment Discrimination.  State by State actions only bring the issue to light and make the noise loud enough for a national debate.

Federal legislation is what ultimately brings a solution to the problem.

The 13th Amendment ends Slavery
      The 15th Amendment the Vote for black men
      The 19th Amendment the Vote for women
      The 21st Amendment abolishes alcohol Prohibition
      The ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act

All Federal legislation that increased the rights and abilities of Americans to more fully enjoy the rights enshrined in the US Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.