View Diary: Jon Stewart Explains FOX "News" (324 comments)

•  my bad....next time I'll get it right!! (3+ / 0-)
    Mother Mags, droogie6655321, Matt Z
    •  No worries (10+ / 0-)

Also, I think it's worth noting that Jon doesn't want to be the most trusted man in news.

He wants the real news media (not the fake news media) to do their jobs and actually practice journalism.

This is why he devotes so much time on his show to pointing out the shortcomings of the media -- and in his interviews and debates, he shows what a good debate show should be like.

"A violent argument erupts over whose day was more pleasant." --- Tom Servo

by droogie6655321 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 08:48:36 AM PDT

•  He points out the shortcomngs, but the media (5+ / 0-)

doesn't get it at all.

Free advice: Never argue with a Right Winger, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

by Muzikal203 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:10:24 AM PDT

•  In the end, (4+ / 0-)

I don't think it's up to the media to change. It would be nice if they did, but it's up to us to demand better from them.

"A violent argument erupts over whose day was more pleasant." --- Tom Servo

by droogie6655321 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:12:43 AM PDT

•  When you think about it, not very many people (5+ / 0-)

are actually watching cable news, period.

by Muzikal203 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:13:52 AM PDT

•  Maybe (5+ / 0-)

But I think their influence extends beyond their immediate viewership.

"A violent argument erupts over whose day was more pleasant." --- Tom Servo

by droogie6655321 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:14:49 AM PDT

•  Fox News averages... (4+ / 0-)
                zett, Terminus, James Kresnik, Muzikal203

...a little less than 3 million viewers a day. That's about 1% of the population.

Fox's highest rated program (O'Reilly) has about half the viewers of broadcast news' lowest rated program (CBS/Couric).

Despite Fox's ratings, they have little impact on the electorate. They were the highest rated cable news network in 2006 and 2008 when Dems won big victories in the House, Senate and White House. And I would rather win at the ballot box than the idiot box.

The biggest problem with Fox is not their ratings or their bias. It is that other news enterprises regard them as credible (even though Fox bashes them constantly). The press really need to start treating Fox as the partisan supermarket tabloid that they are. It is absolutely unconscionable that other media defend Fox as they have during this "war" with the White House.

And by the way, Fox's mission is NOT to sway viewers to the right. It is to destroy the credibility of ALL media so that citizens will choose to remain ignorant rather than endure the swamp that Fox has made of media.

• Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly FREAK SHOW Stickers •••

by KingOneEye on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:30:40 AM PDT

•  But Fox also has their regular broadcast stations (1+ / 0-)
              James Kresnik

that have local news.  When visiting my inlaws in Charlotte, they watched the evening news on the broadcast Fox station.  Not as over-the-top slanted but definitely lifted from Fox News.

•  and NBC has their regular broadcast (1+ / 0-)
                James Kresnik

which probably gets seen more than FAUX (at least where I am) since FAUX's news comes on at 10

by Muzikal203 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:11:26 AM PDT

•  Seeing my inlaws watching the local Fox news (0+ / 0-)

the light dawned on a conversation that I'd had with my brother-in-law last January.  My BIL is a conservative independent, college educated voter whose job has taken him around the world.  He voted for Kerry after living abroad in Thailand and seeing how Bush was damaging US credibility with the rest of the world. I enjoy conversing with him because I do like intelligent conservative argument.  I find that he can present a POV that I have to think about.  He's in no way a wingnut.

However last January he asked me if Obama was going to use a Koran during the inauguration.  I replied that since Obama says he's a Christian, I assume he'll use a bible.  My BIL was stunned.  He truly believed (and didn't have a problem with the idea) that Obama is a muslim.

So my take on their local Fox evening news is that it fostered the same falsehoods as the national Fox News -- just not in the same over-the-top style.

•  Bullshit, droogie. (0+ / 0-)

The public has been demanding better for years and voting with their dollars.

They tortured people
            To get false confessions
            To fraudulently justify
            Invasion of Iraq!
            -Seneca Doane

by James Kresnik on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 05:45:38 PM PDT

•  I agree with all of that... (0+ / 0-)

but..we've allowed the system to get so currupted to undo it all is going to take a superhuman effort. I'm curious as to how we demand better? I think there was a lot of push back re: Glen Beck and he has only gotten crazier.  Media is all corporate owned now. They own the airways and can shape a debate. That is why they all came to the defense of Fox News as the WH pointed out the obvious.

•  But the irony - what Jon Stewart has shown (2+ / 0-)
        forester, dwayne

is that the Daily Show can actually be a better source of news & information because they are completely up-front and transparent about their biases.  Much like the Economist (but with a considerably different sense of humor) on a different part of the political spectrum - if you're up front about how you're approaching and filtering the news (a generally socially liberal, and something I'll call 'optimistically cynical', approach on the part of The Daily Show; a classically economic liberal approach from the Economist), if you know HOW your commentator is thinking, you can more effectively triangulate from your perception and your commentator's perception into something resembling the truth.

The real danger, as always, is to beware of anything that calls itself "Fair and Balanced."  Like David Byrne said:

Facts all come with points of view
        Facts don't do what I want them to

You couldn't load a pistol with dormitive virtue and shoot it into a breakfast-roll - CS Pierce

by Mr Raymond Luxury Yacht on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:54:58 AM PDT

•  I think it was the Diane Rehm show (2+ / 0-)
          TrueBlueMajority, James Kresnik

a year or two ago, when the Traditional Media Person bemoaned the fact that so many young people get their news from Colbert and Stewart. I dialed like crazy to respond with a comment that people who get their news on Comedy Central statistically have a more accurate understanding of the facts than those who get their news elsewhere, so she's bemoaning the wrong thing.

Didn't get through though. Sigh.

•  facts just twist the truth around (0+ / 0-)

"Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D."
          --Tom Harkin

by TrueBlueMajority on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 08:08:20 PM PDT

•  He's the most trusted in news by default, not (2+ / 0-)
        TrueBlueMajority, COwoman

because he set out to be a newsman.  Even Leno, Letterman, and Fallon have become better sources of news than the news programs.