View Diary: Jon Stewart Explains FOX "News" (324 comments)

•  JS lost me at about 10:30 into the video (6+ / 0-)

He was soooooo good and soooo funny up to that point, but then the Valerie Jarrett part came up with the incredibly annoying Campbell Brown-- not so funny from there on.

Stewart's "equal opportunity" potshots usually miss.  MSNBC isn't biased in favor of Obama and the whole point-- which he made at the beginning-- is there isn't any "war" going on between the White House and Fox Noise.  The "war" is just something for Campbell Brown to nasalize about in an effort to make CNN relevant and to give Fox Noise a chance to play the victim until their next Republican President can get back to bullying the real news media.

•  Well, I do think Valarie fudged that answer (13+ / 0-)

so we should expect Jon to go after that. But I do agree that MSNBC is nowhere near FAUX's level when it comes to partisan

Free advice: Never argue with a Right Winger, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

by Muzikal203 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:09:32 AM PDT

•  Valarie wouldn't have had any problem if she (1+ / 0-)
        James Kresnik

hadn't said that the Obama administration was "speaking truth to power". Somehow I just don't see Rahm, Summers or Geitner speaking truth on a regular basis much less to power. But then again that's just my opinion.

"You can't reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned into." -- Jonathan Swift

by Wes Opinion on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:57:31 AM PDT

•  I disagree (8+ / 0-)

I think Jon quantified the whole MSNBC bias thing by mentioning they have a conservative in their morning show. He was basically saying they have a bias, but it is no where as ridiculous as Fox's.

•  The segment was about Fox's bias (5+ / 0-)

not about attacking flimsy doublespeak in answers from White House advisors that are meant to tamp down potential controversy.

Instead it became "Look at me I mock everyone!  The White House isn't at war with MSNBC because it agrees with MSNBC!"  BS.

The false pairing Stewart creates is that Valerie Jarrett's insignificant answer somehow goes with Fox's unrelenting, disgusting flow of propaganda.  It made my skin crawl watching those few examples for just a few seconds.  Her answer was anticlimactic in its understandable blandness.

Fox is evil.  Jarrett was just flummoxed.  And it's merely my opinion that Stewart screwed up the segment right at the point I was hoping he'd finish with a satiric wallop.

•  He does that all the time on this subject (2+ / 0-)
          Muzikal203, samantha in oregon

He can't help a bit of his own 'fair and balanced' mushiness in these instances.  He hammers Fox but he pushes the false belief that it's one side of a thing that actually has another side.  This segment did less of that than usual for him but he still blundered into it.

"An open mind means searching for facts, not ignoring them in the interest of fairness."

by Sun dog on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:46:38 AM PDT

•  I think Stephen Colbert is much better about it. (1+ / 0-)
            Sun dog

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias."
            But Colbert gets away with it because his show is straight satire.

•  Straight satire (2+ / 0-)
              TrueBlueMajority, noe44

That's an interesting phrase.  Seemingly ironic but perfectly descriptive.  Satire should be fearless and unapologetic.  Cut to the truth.  Stewart falls short of that a lot of the time even though he hits it some of the time.   Colbert is on another level.   He still gets me to hold my breath sometimes because you almost can't believe he can tell the jokes he does but he pulls it off.  Colbert is the modern day Mark Twain.  I think he's on that level of timelessness.  He's very good.

by Sun dog on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 01:03:43 PM PDT

•  The difference between MSNBC and Fox is easy (7+ / 0-)

One is a gigantic, blatant, shameless, unrepentant, slanderous, lying sack of shit.  The other is MSNBC.

I'm at a loss to explain why the Administration and even Keith and Rachel don't simply list the many examples of this.  What on MSNBC remotely compares with this, in which Fox showed a clip of the Joe Biden campaign quote from September 2008 mocking McCain's statement that "the fundamentals of the economy are strong," and dishonestly stated that it took place in March 2009 to mock Biden for saying that the economy was strong at that time.

What could be more dishonest and corrupt than lying about when a quote was made to mock the VP?

Here's a list of the top ten Fox lies, starting with slander that Kevin Jennings "knew about statutory rape."

They lie in "news" and they lie in "opinion."

Why is it so hard for Jarrett or anyone else just to say this and give examles.

The GOP: "You can always go to the Emergency Room."

by Upper West on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:46:25 AM PDT

•  I kinda liked that. (5+ / 0-)

I dislike the mindless cheerleading you generally see on cable news, and I think pointing out when we are making mistakes is very important.  It might just be purism on my part, but I see it as a preference not to keep my head in the sand regarding the politicians and decisions and stupid accidental things they say.

Hello, America's skullfucked, pulverized corpse. Welcome to the end times. -Tycho Brahe No, not that Tycho Brahe.

by Tm3 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:40:04 AM PDT

•  To me it's just petty (3+ / 0-)
        ORDem, elwior, COwoman

Jarrett said of course Fox is biased.  Then backtracked a little.  Big deal.

For ten minutes the piece was about how all of Fox is biased.  Stick with that.  The two don't go together.

•  Ah yeah then. (0+ / 0-)

I can see that- thematic disagreement.  So it would have worked better if he'd done some MSNBC bashing after the commercial or on another day?  That would be excellent, I think, but I gravely doubt that he'd be able to produce anything near the level of comic asshattery that he can get out of Fox.

by Tm3 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:18:55 AM PDT

•  I love Jon Stewart (2+ / 0-)
            ORDem, conlakappa

Otherwise I wouldn't have watched-- I actually bookmarked it as soon as I saw the video and couldn't wait to watch it.

Unfortunately, Stewart has a bad habit of not choosing his satirical targets all that well from time to time.  I think he gets into wind-up funny-man mode.  It's tough to be funny about everything week after week.  But the ACORN piece was crap.  And about 2 to 3 nights every week, having waited impatiently for his show to start I end up being disappointed.

Look how he starts freaking out-- or fake-freaking out-- at about 10:28 to 1O:50.  After watching how mind-blowing-ly disgusting Fox is for the first ten minutes, this doesn't seem freakout-worthy.  You could take just about any Democrat giving a ho-hum interview and have the same level of mockery as Jarrett deserves.

Fox said Obama is indoctrinating little children and not fighting terrorism.  Not quite the same level!

•  I agree the.. (5+ / 0-)

...MSNBC false equivalence at the end was gratuitous & misleading (how many times does Keith have to read his list of things he disagrees with Obama about?)...

...but the overall video was so right on, it would destroy Fixed News forever if the traditional media was willing to show this video on their various traditional media outlets (which they aren't).

•  Well then you missed the part where she said (2+ / 0-)
      James Kresnik, COwoman

"We're going to speak truth to power", and Stewart got a kick out of it. "You're the white house, you are power".

"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent."

by Futuristic Dreamer on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:30:47 AM PDT