View Diary: Jon Stewart Explains FOX "News" (324 comments)

•  In the end, (4+ / 0-)

I don't think it's up to the media to change. It would be nice if they did, but it's up to us to demand better from them.

"A violent argument erupts over whose day was more pleasant." --- Tom Servo

by droogie6655321 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:12:43 AM PDT

•  When you think about it, not very many people (5+ / 0-)

are actually watching cable news, period.

Free advice: Never argue with a Right Winger, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

by Muzikal203 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:13:52 AM PDT

•  Maybe (5+ / 0-)

But I think their influence extends beyond their immediate viewership.

"A violent argument erupts over whose day was more pleasant." --- Tom Servo

by droogie6655321 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 09:14:49 AM PDT

•  Fox News averages... (4+ / 0-)
          zett, Terminus, James Kresnik, Muzikal203

...a little less than 3 million viewers a day. That's about 1% of the population.

Fox's highest rated program (O'Reilly) has about half the viewers of broadcast news' lowest rated program (CBS/Couric).

Despite Fox's ratings, they have little impact on the electorate. They were the highest rated cable news network in 2006 and 2008 when Dems won big victories in the House, Senate and White House. And I would rather win at the ballot box than the idiot box.

The biggest problem with Fox is not their ratings or their bias. It is that other news enterprises regard them as credible (even though Fox bashes them constantly). The press really need to start treating Fox as the partisan supermarket tabloid that they are. It is absolutely unconscionable that other media defend Fox as they have during this "war" with the White House.

And by the way, Fox's mission is NOT to sway viewers to the right. It is to destroy the credibility of ALL media so that citizens will choose to remain ignorant rather than endure the swamp that Fox has made of media.

• Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly FREAK SHOW Stickers •••

by KingOneEye on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:30:40 AM PDT

•  But Fox also has their regular broadcast stations (1+ / 0-)
        James Kresnik

that have local news.  When visiting my inlaws in Charlotte, they watched the evening news on the broadcast Fox station.  Not as over-the-top slanted but definitely lifted from Fox News.

•  and NBC has their regular broadcast (1+ / 0-)
          James Kresnik

which probably gets seen more than FAUX (at least where I am) since FAUX's news comes on at 10

by Muzikal203 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 10:11:26 AM PDT

•  Seeing my inlaws watching the local Fox news (0+ / 0-)

the light dawned on a conversation that I'd had with my brother-in-law last January.  My BIL is a conservative independent, college educated voter whose job has taken him around the world.  He voted for Kerry after living abroad in Thailand and seeing how Bush was damaging US credibility with the rest of the world. I enjoy conversing with him because I do like intelligent conservative argument.  I find that he can present a POV that I have to think about.  He's in no way a wingnut.

However last January he asked me if Obama was going to use a Koran during the inauguration.  I replied that since Obama says he's a Christian, I assume he'll use a bible.  My BIL was stunned.  He truly believed (and didn't have a problem with the idea) that Obama is a muslim.

So my take on their local Fox evening news is that it fostered the same falsehoods as the national Fox News -- just not in the same over-the-top style.

•  Bullshit, droogie. (0+ / 0-)

The public has been demanding better for years and voting with their dollars.

They tortured people