View Diary: Are you a 99214 with 250.02, 401.1, and 272.2? (33 comments)

•  you're kidding, right? (1+ / 0-)
    dditt

we really don't know.  if we opt out of medicare and blue cross, etc, we can simply publish a price list and call it a day.  if we accept insurance, forget it.  My contract with your insurance company doesn't allow an answer.

In fact, if you have a 20 dollar copay and i decide to let you off the hook cuz youre having a bad month, your insurance company can come after me for defrauding them...i gave you a 100 percent discount on your portion, so they should have the same for theirs.

PalMD http://scienceblogs.com/whitecoatunderground

by PalMD on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 08:26:31 PM PDT

•  Doc please listen to me (1+ / 0-)
      dditt

I have no insurance. I'm an American. There are many like me. I pay money. It comes from savings.

"Don't fall or we both go" Derek Hersey

by ban nock on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 08:27:52 PM PDT

•  no one cares.. (2+ / 0-)
        dditt, Azazello

..if you get care or not.  That's our system.  If you are uninsured, a lot of people won't want to see you, and if you go to an office and ask how much a visit will be, chances are no one will know.

One time, a patient of mine who needed stitches out came in.  he'd lost his insurance.  i took them out and asked him to name me a fair price.  i agreed to it, and told him to pay when he could.

but i can't run a business like that.

PalMD http://scienceblogs.com/whitecoatunderground

by PalMD on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 08:31:28 PM PDT

•  I understand you can't work for free (0+ / 0-)

I can't either, and I'm very willing to pay, I have money, I live a very frugal life. My savings is probably big enough to cover quite a bit.

Why can't I ask a doctor a simple question regarding cost, get a price, get service, and pay? That's how it works in most of the world outside Europe and Japan.

Just thought I'd ask seeing as this was a thread about billing.

Seems like the medical professions are interested in maintaining the status quo so they can keep on billing people outrageous amounts.

I realize no one cares. Realizing that was an epiphany. Doctors are part of the problem.

"Don't fall or we both go" Derek Hersey

by ban nock on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 08:40:04 PM PDT

•  whoa there, cowboy... (1+ / 0-)
            dditt

...we'd all love to be able to transact business with a handshake agreement, but if we accept insurance, it's a non-starter.

PalMD http://scienceblogs.com/whitecoatunderground

by PalMD on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 08:49:37 PM PDT

•  Maybe if you travel to some other country you can (0+ / 0-)

get decent care. Stay for a month or so.

more and more people are doing exactly that. It pays for itself in time saved. Years.

Because the insurance comanies
              just lead you around in circles.
              You never get better.

Not unlike the Democrats.

If people "got better", where's the profit in that, right?

Birds of a feather, flock together.

1 trillion dollars/10 yrs/320million people=$312.50/year-per-American! compare that to $4500 per capita for wars

by Andiamo on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 09:25:26 PM PDT

•  I did (0+ / 0-)

Last winter I went to Bungrungrad and back. All told it cost less than in the US even with a plane ticket. The doctor was unhuried except the day of the operation when I was the first of eight getting the same thing. Before and after the doctor had plenty of time. It was night and day compared to America. I suspect that the quality was better because the doc wasn't rushed. People were going from all over the world.

"Don't fall or we both go" Derek Hersey

by ban nock on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 09:35:16 PM PDT

•  Whoa there yourself cowboy (1+ / 0-)
              Azazello

Who said anything about a handshake. I'm paying money.

America has many fine doctors, others are no better than insurance companies or corprate hospitals.

"no one cares if you get care or not, it's our system"

That's your system, not mine. Frankly I have little time for medical "professionals" who look upon the health of me and my family that way. I and many others are looking to change the system. Medicaire + 5% ought to be good enough by far.

I feel a fresh wind out of the East, change in the weather soon maybe.

"Don't fall or we both go" Derek Hersey

by ban nock on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 09:31:01 PM PDT

•  Good luck! (0+ / 0-)

Ignore the warnings at your own peril. We get what we pay for and we've been lazy and have let the insurance industry take over this country and pervert medicine into a tool of some very ugly social and financial goals.

Along the way, curative care disappeared.

by Andiamo on Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 09:52:01 PM PDT