View Diary: Food Stamp Usage Hits New Record (311 comments)

•  The other thing to remember in this (21+ / 0-)

is that food stamps don't really cover the cost of food, particularly when you're talking many of the areas that recipients live.

I think that I have had enough of you telling me how things will be. Today I choose a new way to go ... and it goes through you!

by Norbrook on Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 04:34:05 PM PST

•  In any area, really. (18+ / 0-)

Surely you can find enough calories to stay alive on food stamps -- but you are destined to eat foods that exacerbate degenerative diseases. You can't get the balance and nutrients you need to stay healthy.

And we really do have people on food stamps for years, eating starch, sugars, hydrogenated vegetable fats -- all of the things that give them heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Absolutely essential point you're making, Norbrook.

Elephant: (noun) A mouse designed by committee.

by rb137 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 04:40:09 PM PST

•  That's something I find very worrisome. (11+ / 0-)

I can find all kinds of really cheap, really non-nutritious foods, but in order to be healthy I need to fork out some cash.  What do people do when they are trying to eat as cheaply as possible?  They eat crap.

Sure, you can grow some healthy vegetables, but it's difficult to do when you don't have a yard.

"Life is short. Drink the good wine!" - OQ

by OtterQueen on Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 04:59:23 PM PST

•  Exactly the problem (4+ / 0-)

As much as everyone stresses eating healthy - lots of vegetables, fruits, healthy fats, and so on, the problem is that feeding yourself on those - let alone your family - on those when you're on food stamps is, if not actually, almost impossible.  They cost money.  I can buy a large can of Crisco for what a small bottle of olive oil costs.  I can buy a few boxes of generic macaroni & cheese dinners and a pack of hot dogs for the cost of a lean chicken breast or a fillet of fish would cost. Those are just a few examples off the top of my head - but they're pretty common choices.  Cheap, filling, and once in a while aren't bad, but as a regular diet are bad.  When you have to make a very limited amount of money stretch for a month, and it's a choice between going hungry or eating poorly - you'll always go for the eat poorly option.

by Norbrook on Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 05:27:59 PM PST

•  You Can Eat Cheaply (2+ / 0-)

If you have 1) time, 2) a kitchen with the right equipment and 3) the life skills required to do it.

If you are a working single mother with two kids temporarily camped out at your dead-beat ex-husband's parents place, it's a lot easier just to take the kids out and get hamburgers and fries five nights a week, though.

Dried rice, beans and pasta are all around $1.50 a pound here.  Frozen green vegetables are between $1.50-$2.00 a pound.  Canned tuna and chicken legs are also inexpensive.

I won't tell anyone that Reagan was a turd.

by bink on Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 06:33:43 PM PST

•  asdf (3+ / 0-)
              bink, mamamedusa, Norbrook

I tell you, I have time. I have a kitchen with the right equipment. I've read recipes, blogs, and even seen people do it the right way. And every single stinking time, my beans and rice stick to the pot.

Nowadays once the pot's mostly empty, I'm adding a tall glass of water to the bottom, scraping up the stuck part, tossing in some tomatoes and calling it chili for leftovers.

•  Pressure Cooker for the Beans (2+ / 0-)
                jennifree2bme, pfeffermuse

Electric rice cooker for the rice.  Cook separately and mix.  I use plenty of salt and lard with the beans.  Lard gives a sort of meaty-ness to it, without the meat.

I won't tell anyone that Reagan was a turd.

by bink on Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 07:13:52 PM PST

•  The trick I've had is (3+ / 0-)
                bink, jennifree2bme, Alexandra Lynch
                1. Use a very, very light coating of oil on the pan before you start - I just take maybe a teaspoon full of oil and wipe the pan bottom and near bottom sides.  Spray oil works.
                1. Keep an eye on it, and when you still have some liquid remaining, remove from heat.  The rice and beans will absorb the rest, while the pan bottom cools.

by Norbrook on Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 07:19:00 PM PST

•  Not only that but you can't buy toilet tissue or (2+ / 0-)
      Angie in WA State, mamamedusa

soap or napkins or foil or wax paper or detergent . . .

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. Psalm 27:14

by 99 Percent Pure on Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 07:36:29 PM PST

• Education (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site