View Diary: Breaking: BLS, Fed, BEA, et al "Overstate Strength of Economy" (289 comments)

•  How about challenging his data? n/t (0+ / 0-)

Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I will tell you what you believe.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 12:05:24 PM PST

•  why? (0+ / 0-)

Bondad did that and got crushed by this community.  Bob doesn't want facts that are counterpoint to his worldview, he just wants to be right.

•  Bonddad was endorsed by all but ... (1+ / 0-)
        bobswern

...a tiny portion of this community. He chose, as was his right, not to post here any longer. But he still posts at HuffPo, where the commenters who manage to get clear of the censors there take on his point of view in a far higher ratio than was the case here.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 04:44:13 PM PST

•  I read this and I think of PeeWee Herman saying... (0+ / 0-)
        ..."I know you are but what am I?" (Over and over again.)

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 05:17:48 PM PST

•  What data? Swern copies and pastes opinions, (0+ / 0-)

he doesn't present data.  Data is anathema to him.

Look at today:

the so-called "improved productivity" gap within our labor force, as manufacturing and services output dramatically (and supposedly) "increases" while overall available (jobs) employment declines at a record clip.

Swern quoted just about everything from the NY Times article -- except the sentence that reads:

The statistical distortions can be significant. At worst, the gross domestic product would have risen at only a 3.3 percent annual rate in the third quarter instead of the 3.5 percent actually reported

So, the entire breathless BREAKING NEWS that makes economic data trash, is that GDP might have been 3.3% instead of 3.5%

Where did your fair haired child tell his readership that?

You want the community to think that you are a neutral referee when in fact your are one of the leading blockers on the Doomer team.

And I intend to hold your feet to the fire about people who consistently make wrong calls having no credibility.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get 'too big to fail'."

by New Deal democrat on Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 03:58:13 PM PST

•  Including presumably the... (1+ / 0-)
        bobswern

...next time you give us a "print positive" prediction for the jobs report?

by Meteor Blades on Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 04:42:51 PM PST

•  You know, you really don't want to go there... (1+ / 0-)
        Mnemosyne

...your incessant, baseless, ad hominem attacks against/regarding my knowledge of the economy are...exactly that.

The truth is, I've been addressing economic issues--publicly--on behalf of national, statewide and municipal Democratic candidates, professionally, for 30 years, from the White House on down.  (And, I'm "only" 51 as I write this.) My client roster over this time includes some of the most prominent Democratic politicians around, even now.

My credibility, which I do NOT wear on my sleeve around here, and for which I have no hidden agendas, is something of which I'm quite proud. (Yeah, it's damn impressive, and no...I won't be divulging the substantive aspects of it in this arena, since it's unnecessary, gratuitous and inappropriate.) I will also say, however, that I have worked --professionally-- with a list of firms directly mentioned in most stories about our economy, today, too.

It's downright pathetic that you'd accuse me of "cutting and pasting opinions," when the lion's share of your "team's" commentary comes from the reprinting of government-produced data and charts--documents whose very credibility are fully refuted by the very commentary in this very diary!

You--in particular--provide little more than ad hominem attacks devoid of any semblance of substance. And, when your source material is discredited--not by me but by the very authors of it as noted in this diary--you get nasty.

The facts speak for themselves--up to and including the totally false memes you spread about people being "driven" off of this blog--when absolutely nothing could be farther from the truth of your revisionist history.

It's really not worth me even wasting my time here addressing this, frankly.

You make reference to your totally uneducated (from a formal standpoint) points of view as if they maintain some sort of academic accreditation, or professional endorsement, when it's really all about a bunch of armchair bloggers, like yourself, pretending that they know what they're talking about!

(Truthfully, it's all really quite humorous.)

I really do get a perverse kick out of seeing folks' heads explode when facts are presented to them that run counter to the very raison d'etre (and/or, their primary source material).

Have a nice day!

by bobswern on Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 04:48:00 PM PST

•  You are very happy to cite government stats (0+ / 0-)

when they are bearish.

As for what you've done in this diary, well, it's part of your record.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get 'too big to fail'."

by New Deal democrat on Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 06:33:22 PM PST