View Diary: Scozzafava resigns GOP leadership post (92 comments)

•  I dont know (11+ / 0-)

She is pro-choice, and pro-same sex marriage, and apparently, she supported the stimulus. Not sure of her stances on other issues, though.

•  This may be news to you (0+ / 0-)

but people are Republican in the first place because they lack empathy, or are plain racist.  Just because they mirror your or my opinion on an issue or two doesn't change this fact.  Not for Snowe, not for Specter.

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:36:47 AM PST

•  Then we can close down this site. (14+ / 0-)

At least 40% of the country, if not more, are either Republicans or Republican-leaning independents. If all of them are racists, we can move to Canada.

If you truly think that even liberal and moderate Republicans all lack empathy and are racist (ie: evil), then good night.

•  Good night then. (0+ / 0-)

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:43:43 AM PST

•  Because you used (0+ / 0-)

'moderate' and 'liberal' to describe republicans.  Where are those?  Where have they been in the last 30 years?

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:49:03 AM PST

•  There are lots of them... (1+ / 0-)
              greengemini

here in the Northeast.

"I was so easy to defeat, I was so easy to control, I didn't even know there was a war." -9.75, -8.41

by RonV on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:54:49 AM PST

•  I have never met (0+ / 0-)

a republican who wasn't a racist or lacked empathy.  It's the whole reason for being republican.  You know, I got mine, fuck you?  The only difference between a moderate republican and a wackjob like Bachmann is Bachmann is honest.

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:00:08 AM PST

•  You really: (2+ / 0-)
                  luckylizard, Norbrook

"...never met a republican who wasn't a racist or lacked empathy."

?

Well, I guess anything's possible. After all, John Boehner  "never met anyone who was in favor of the public option."

But I'm sure that's because he doesn't want to. It would destroy his rather limited view of the world.

by RonV on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:07:02 AM PST

•  How long (1+ / 0-)
                    SarahLee

have you been a republican?  Because I was raised by them.  I was forced to work on campaigns since I was about five.  And they were the "liberal" kind of Republican candidates, as were my parents.  But at its heart, conservatism is about keeping what "ours" so the "wrong" people aren't advantaged in any way that takes away anything from "us".  What is your argument with that statement?

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:14:05 AM PST

•  You personal experience... (2+ / 0-)
                      luckylizard, Norbrook

is simply that. Yours.

My experience is different. I am blessed to live in a community where political labels are not indicative of every aspect of one's inner self.

Many folks are republicans because that's what their parents and grandparents were (It was the same with Democrats when I lived in NC in the 1960's). Not because, as you said "...people are Republican in the first place because they lack empathy, or are plain racist."

Knowing people who happen to be registered as republicans, but who don't give a crap about who you marry, your reproductive and health choices, etc. Who would give you the proverbial shirt off their backs if you wanted it, regardless of your race, religion or political persuasion. Knowing republicans like that doesn't make me a republican. It makes me blessed.

by RonV on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:38:16 AM PST

•  Exactly right (2+ / 0-)
                        RonV, StuffOfInterest

Geez, I haven't seen that sort of stereotyping since I last went over to RedState.  It's sad to see it here.  If I were to paint that broad a brush, I'd have no friends in my community, and a good part of my family.  Somehow, they seem to have plenty of empathy and aren't racist.   I wish they were Democrats, but political registration is just a small part of the person.

I think that I have had enough of you telling me how things will be. Today I choose a new way to go ... and it goes through you!

by Norbrook on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:58:58 AM PST

•  yep (0+ / 0-)

it's stereotyping to say that Glenn Beck and Michele Bachmann and Tom Tancredo represent the Republicans.  Its' some other, unnamed Republicans who aren't elected that represent the mainstream.  Becuase after all, they're not popular and don't hold racist or authoritarian unempathetic views and would WANT people to knwo about it.  I say it's the media's fault for not finding all these people I've never seen.

I'm the one who is like redstate.  You caught me.  Where do I go to register?

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 12:18:35 PM PST

•  That's not what you said (1+ / 0-)
                            RonV

What you said was:

That's stereotyping you're doing right there, worthy of anything I've seen on RedState or Free Republic.    Just substitute "Democrat" and "Kennedy" for Republican and Bachmann.

But, do continue to beat that strawman while you're at it.

by Norbrook on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 01:14:32 PM PST

•  they sound like democrats to me (0+ / 0-)

Are you sure about these pod people?  I mean, they don't fit into the Repub demo.  Only 20% of the public self identifies as republican anymore, and what's left is the rear of the beer, so to speak.

I don't doubt that 40 years ago, you could find people like you describe.  But now?

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 12:14:57 PM PST

•  It's not "news". (5+ / 0-)

It's also not true. I know lots and lots of republicans who neither lack empathy nor are they racist.

by RonV on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:51:58 AM PST

•  Name one (0+ / 0-)

besides yourself of course.

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:01:21 AM PST

•  Crap. I've been found out! (2+ / 0-)
            luckylizard, Norbrook

Registered and voted as a Democrat since 1976. Currently a member of my county's Democratic Committee. Just re-elected (as a Democrat) to my local town council.

And here I thought I had fooled everyone.

And then you came along and spoiled it! Now why don't you and the rest of those meddling kids take your damned dog, get back in your mystery machine, and hit the road?

Seriously, calling me a republican is just silly.

by RonV on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:13:23 AM PST

•  Seriously (0+ / 0-)

defending republicans as 'liberal' and not at all racist or lacking in empathy?  That's not silly at all.  Nope.  Move along, people, nothing to see here!

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:15:33 AM PST

•  No, seriously. (4+ / 0-)
                RonV, luckylizard, Norbrook, Nada Lemming

I know Republicans who are not racists nor apathetic to social needs, but driven by other aspects of the platform.

In fact, I was married to one for nearly 30 years... and widowed.  He eventually did change party affiliations, but only after the Neocons came into power.

Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.

by EdgedInBlue on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:24:39 AM PST

•  What "other" aspects of the platform? (0+ / 0-)

Are you going to say abortion?  Then I amend my statement to: racists, those who lack empathy, and authoritarian followers.  Did I leave anybody out?

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:30:35 AM PST

•  No. (2+ / 0-)
                    RonV, Norbrook

He was pro-choice.  But he was a strong states-rights advocate as well as pro-gun and pro-death penalty...and a deputy sheriff.  So I guess you've got him pegged with "authoritarian".

Congrats!

by EdgedInBlue on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 12:06:14 PM PST

•  Vic Atiyeh, former governor of Oregon (2+ / 0-)
            Norbrook, Nada Lemming

A thoroughly decent man.

He's 80-something years old now, and he couldn't win a Republican primary for dogcatcher in today's Oregon Republican party, but there he is.

This is where you get to say "exception proves the rule" if you want.

•  exception proves the rule (0+ / 0-)

if that's the best you can come up with.  And thanks for at least humoring me on my point.  I would have said Dave Durenberger because he's the last "liberal" republican from my neck of the woods.

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 03:53:19 PM PST

•  my mother was a republican (1+ / 0-)
            RonV

you wanna tell me she lacked empathy

or that she was a racist ???

step up, asshole

you are about to make a big fuckin mistake, and I suggest that you apologize ...

•  Well (0+ / 0-)

calling me an asshole will always bring out the best in the conversation.  Yes, republicans are one or more of the following:

authoritarian followers
              racists
              lack empathy for the less fortunate

Now if your mom was a republican before 1964, it' s possible she was NONE of those.  Since the democrats were the party that harbored open racists.  But nearly everyone who joined since then is one or more of those.

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 01:00:54 PM PST

•  I didn't call you an asshole (0+ / 0-)

I pointed out that you are an asshole

and you are totally fucking wrong about my mother

in addition, you are totally fucking wrong about republicans

to sum up, you are an idiot

such stupidity is unbecoming of this site

if you can't admit that some of your opponents are decent people, you are a pretty sorry excuse for a human being

you are what is wrong with the Democratic Party, if you really are a Democrat

we have the same problem the repuglitards got, we just ain't got it as bad

assholes like you are what is wrong with America

I tried to reason with you, in an impolite way, it didn't work

I can see that further rational discussion is a waste of time

thank you for letting us know you are an automato asshole

I can now ignore your posts in comfort

•  Me thinks (0+ / 0-)

thou doth protest WAAAAY too much.

There's this:

I didn't call you an asshole (0+ / 0-)

I pointed out that you are an asshole

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

and you are totally fucking wrong about my mother

I said nothing about your mother.  You brought her up while you threatened me.  this isn't about your mother anyway.  But OK.

I tried to reason with you, in an impolite way, it didn't work

Reasoning with someone while threatening them and calling them assholes usually doesn't work.  Have you ever tried another approach?

assholes like you are what is wrong with America

Hmmm.  Yep, I agree, it's people like ME that are what's wrong with America.  Not teabaggers, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh or G Gordon Liddy.

I can see that further rational discussion is a waste of time

thank you for letting us know you are an automato asshole

I can now ignore your posts in comfort

Since you ignored all of what I said except the part where you took it personally where no names or identities were mentioned by me, that would be consistent.  I'm all for consistency.

If you wanted to have a discussion, I would have asked you what about the party energizes her - and then i could have tried to break it down to one of those three issues.  Had I not been able to, you might have had a chance to show me where I'm wrong.  But the fact that I may be right is what's got you animated right now, not anything I said.

Consider that before you go off on someone else.

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 03:38:21 PM PST

•  Maybe that's why she left, then? (0+ / 0-)

As evidenced by... nearly every headline covering her campaign?  No?

Hello, America's skullfucked, pulverized corpse. Welcome to the end times. -Tycho Brahe No, not that Tycho Brahe.

by Tm3 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 02:49:15 PM PST

•  Don't we have enough problems with the Dems (2+ / 0-)
      SarahLee, Nada Lemming

elected that are going against the party and the people?

"Don't knock football...it's just like chess but without the dice" - john07801