View Diary: Scozzafava resigns GOP leadership post (92 comments)

•  Good night then. (0+ / 0-)

"They hope WE fail." - Ministry of Truth

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:43:43 AM PST

•  Because you used (0+ / 0-)

'moderate' and 'liberal' to describe republicans.  Where are those?  Where have they been in the last 30 years?

"They hope WE fail." - Ministry of Truth

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:49:03 AM PST

•  There are lots of them... (1+ / 0-)
        greengemini

here in the Northeast.

"I was so easy to defeat, I was so easy to control, I didn't even know there was a war." -9.75, -8.41

by RonV on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:54:49 AM PST

•  I have never met (0+ / 0-)

a republican who wasn't a racist or lacked empathy.  It's the whole reason for being republican.  You know, I got mine, fuck you?  The only difference between a moderate republican and a wackjob like Bachmann is Bachmann is honest.

"They hope WE fail." - Ministry of Truth

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:00:08 AM PST

•  You really: (2+ / 0-)
            luckylizard, Norbrook

"...never met a republican who wasn't a racist or lacked empathy."

?

Well, I guess anything's possible. After all, John Boehner  "never met anyone who was in favor of the public option."

But I'm sure that's because he doesn't want to. It would destroy his rather limited view of the world.

by RonV on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:07:02 AM PST

•  How long (1+ / 0-)
              SarahLee

have you been a republican?  Because I was raised by them.  I was forced to work on campaigns since I was about five.  And they were the "liberal" kind of Republican candidates, as were my parents.  But at its heart, conservatism is about keeping what "ours" so the "wrong" people aren't advantaged in any way that takes away anything from "us".  What is your argument with that statement?

"They hope WE fail." - Ministry of Truth

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:14:05 AM PST

•  You personal experience... (2+ / 0-)
                luckylizard, Norbrook

is simply that. Yours.

My experience is different. I am blessed to live in a community where political labels are not indicative of every aspect of one's inner self.

Many folks are republicans because that's what their parents and grandparents were (It was the same with Democrats when I lived in NC in the 1960's). Not because, as you said "...people are Republican in the first place because they lack empathy, or are plain racist."

Knowing people who happen to be registered as republicans, but who don't give a crap about who you marry, your reproductive and health choices, etc. Who would give you the proverbial shirt off their backs if you wanted it, regardless of your race, religion or political persuasion. Knowing republicans like that doesn't make me a republican. It makes me blessed.

by RonV on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:38:16 AM PST

•  Exactly right (2+ / 0-)
                  RonV, StuffOfInterest

Geez, I haven't seen that sort of stereotyping since I last went over to RedState.  It's sad to see it here.  If I were to paint that broad a brush, I'd have no friends in my community, and a good part of my family.  Somehow, they seem to have plenty of empathy and aren't racist.   I wish they were Democrats, but political registration is just a small part of the person.

I think that I have had enough of you telling me how things will be. Today I choose a new way to go ... and it goes through you!

by Norbrook on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:58:58 AM PST

•  yep (0+ / 0-)

it's stereotyping to say that Glenn Beck and Michele Bachmann and Tom Tancredo represent the Republicans.  Its' some other, unnamed Republicans who aren't elected that represent the mainstream.  Becuase after all, they're not popular and don't hold racist or authoritarian unempathetic views and would WANT people to knwo about it.  I say it's the media's fault for not finding all these people I've never seen.

I'm the one who is like redstate.  You caught me.  Where do I go to register?

"They hope WE fail." - Ministry of Truth

by Nada Lemming on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 12:18:35 PM PST

•  That's not what you said (1+ / 0-)
                      RonV

What you said was:

That's stereotyping you're doing right there, worthy of anything I've seen on RedState or Free Republic.    Just substitute "Democrat" and "Kennedy" for Republican and Bachmann.

But, do continue to beat that strawman while you're at it.

by Norbrook on Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 01:14:32 PM PST

•  they sound like democrats to me (0+ / 0-)

Are you sure about these pod people?  I mean, they don't fit into the Repub demo.  Only 20% of the public self identifies as republican anymore, and what's left is the rear of the beer, so to speak.

I don't doubt that 40 years ago, you could find people like you describe.  But now?

"They hope WE fail." - Ministry of Truth