View Diary: Mixed Decision on Detainee Prosecutions (177 comments)

•  But it IS a kangaroo court (4+ / 0-)
    GN1927, NearlyNormal, NonnyO, Paladine

if the whole process is rigged so the government can't lose.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Fri Nov 13, 2009 at 11:07:36 AM PST

•  I definitely take and share your (1+ / 0-)
      Jyrinx

skepticism, but I do think that this is a move away from Bush's kangaroo court system.  Perhaps an incomplete one, but it is a move.

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress.--Nobel Peace Prize Recipient President Obama

by GN1927 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 at 12:03:16 PM PST

•  My contention, though, (2+ / 0-)
        Detlef, GN1927

is that it does no good to move away from Bush's kangaroo courts to a new two-tiered system that's just as fixed and unconstitutional.

The one good thing is that maybe we'll see that trials for terrorists are completely reasonable and non-scary. Cutting against the climate of irrational fear would be a good thing. But it's still not justice.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Fri Nov 13, 2009 at 12:29:17 PM PST

•  This is precisely what they're doing (1+ / 0-)
          Jyrinx

And they're going to showcase a successful prosecution of KSM.  I know you don't agree, but I actually suspect that they're getting the country ready for the fact that some Gitmo detainees are going to be let free.  But they're going to prosecute and win a conviction of a major defendant first.  The Obama administration does everything in increments IMO.

by GN1927 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 at 12:32:37 PM PST

•  That's my hope. (1+ / 0-)
            GN1927

But I don't give credit for things I hope they might do. Also, it'd still be the case that we need to push for real justice, so it doesn't really change what advocates should do.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Fri Nov 13, 2009 at 12:35:55 PM PST

•  I don't disagree (1+ / 0-)
              Jyrinx

just floating around my little conspiracy theory. :-)

by GN1927 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 at 12:36:44 PM PST

•  !!! Oh, that's evil :-D (1+ / 0-)
                GN1927

Next time someone's insisting that Obama is pursuing some manner of 11-dimensional chess strategy, I'll have to call it a CT and see how they react >:-D

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman