View Diary: Morning Feature: Corrective Measures? (Ask Ms. Crissie) (182 comments)

•  Top of the Morning (:: yawn ::) (14+ / 0-)

(TotM is a featurette of Morning Feature – a meta recap of the previous day’s blogging and a stopping off point for catching your first breath. Feel free to join in or hang out.)

Coffee Spew Award™

Good job, everyone. We now have a Bounty™ of Coffee Spew Awards (ar ar).

From LaFeminista in yesterday’s MF about progressives.

Not one voice.
    I've seen more unity at a G20 riot

This discussion in Friday’s MF, started with a revelation by KVoimakas, a quick disclaimer and then a suggestion by khereva that the disclaimer was not going to work.

KVoimakas: I did the swing thing in college for a bit.
    KVoimakas: SWING DANCING. I just wanted to clarify that before I received too many looks.
    khereva: If that's your story, sir, you stick to it!

---

BPI History Vignette

Psst! Here is what you need to know about Tijuana.

---

TotM Top Comment Digest
    h/t Top Comments team.

From rossl:
    Judge Moonbox's comment about reforming the political system
    is very wise, in LaFeminista’s Flame Me diary.

Our own LaFeminista has been  dominating the rec list these days. For more LaFeminista go here.

---
    Blogistan Polytechnic Institute Roll Call – Last Day
    Post a little (or a lot) about yourselves. Lurker, non-lurker, where you are from, what brought you to Morning Feature, your BPI resident faculty title (if applicable). On one of the next Meta Mondays, I will pull them all together under one comment. Participation (and correct spelling, punctuation and grammar) is optional.  Please put Blog Roll in your comment subject line. Or not.

Here is our current Blog Roll List:
    MsWings
    Dichro Gal
    EdgedInBlue
    Mofembot

Much of life is knowing what to Google

by JanF on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 04:19:24 AM PST

•  And this Blog Roll from mofembot (15+ / 0-)

Ms Crissie is not the only one to get email! This addition to the MF Blog Roll came into my email:

I, mofembot, currently do not have a BPI title, though I'm willing to be awarded the Utahna Pinckley Hacker Hotseat of Mormonolology if need be, with a minor in Things French.

I found Morning Feature in the Kula days. I appreciate Crissie's taking it on (along with guest faculty) after Kula went to a mysterious place whence she has yet to return.

I never have enough time to wri

I am not sure if there was a glitch in her email or if that is snark at the end. If it is snark, it is delightful. If it is an email glitch, please send more.

Much of life is knowing what to Google

by JanF on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 04:21:50 AM PST

•  Thank you as always, JanF! (11+ / 0-)

The resident faculty, staff, and student body are thrilled to see that you escaped the clutches of your worknappers and were able to post TotM today. We all missed you yesterday, and that plain black bag full of unmarked hugs just wasn't the same....

Good morning! ::hugggggs::

•  for Jan and FarWestGirl... (16+ / 0-)

I really appreciate this feature Jan -- I rarely get back to read all the comments and I miss some of the humorous and the insightful comments. Several days ago you highlighted a comment from FarWestGirl that I otherwise would have missed and her words fit so completely into a discussion I was having with K1. I love collecting quotes and I pair those quotes with my photos, making books for the girls. It's hard to read all the words, but FarWestGirl, you made it into K1's inspirational quotes book...
      ideals aren't goals

Thanks! Good morning and huggggggs Jan, FarWestGirl, Crissie and the rest of the Krew...

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action ~ Goethe

by theKgirls on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 04:34:17 AM PST

•  Blog roll (12+ / 0-)

I'm an early riser (in Maine obviously) and the first thing I do in the morning, once my coffee is made, is to check dKos.  Usually I found posts from the night before, but then along came Kula, who was up when I was.  What a treat Morning Feature was!  I later learned Kula was up as early as me only because she hadn't gone to bed yet.

I was so glad when Crissie picked up the daily diary when Kula left, although since she is writing in the morning, not at night before going to bed, she doesn't post as early, so I often miss Morning Feature on work days...bummer!  But, when I can, I love to check in and the weekends are the best!

"...the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -Ted Kennedy

by EJP in Maine on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 05:09:58 AM PST

•  Thanks. I was hoping that last call would (7+ / 0-)

get everyone moving to submit a blog roll.

Morning Feature is definitely better at 6:00 a.m. for those who need to work. If it was at 7:00, it would be harder for me.

Although I guess that any earlier would cut into Ms. Crissie's sleep. And we would not want her CRANKY ;-)

Much of life is knowing what to Google

by JanF on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 05:22:51 AM PST

•  And my understanding is she is up earlier than I (6+ / 0-)

writing her post, which obvious takes time, they are so well written.  So I could never ask her to stay up all night to have it posted early.  And, I'm guessing she wouldn't move to Korea just to post for us east coast early birds... ;-)

by EJP in Maine on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 06:11:16 AM PST

•  No, but the staff could move to France ... (2+ / 0-)
            JanF, winterbanyan

... or Germany, and may after Springoff the Fifth graduates. This is even more likely if we don't get meaningful health care reform by May - when Springoff the Fourth graduates. Needs must, as the British say. Were that to happen, Morning Feature could post earlier as it posts at 1pm in Western Europe, except when our clock changes haven't synchronized....

And thank you for the kind words! ::hugggggs::

•  blog roll (10+ / 0-)

Have I ever mentioned I have kids? I wasn't sure if it had ever come up in conversation ;)

I am the Professor of Mediamaternity. I lurked on DKos for a few months before becoming a member, then lurked for another few months before making a comment.  I found compatible idealogy at Dkos; I found a home at Morning Feature.

I lived in six different places by my sixth birthday which is probably why I don't consider anyplace "home".  We lived in New York (twice) Oklahoma (twice) and California (twice). Since then I've lived in Houston and Austin, Boston, Chicago, Tokyo, and various Boston suburbs. We'll probably be here until the girls graduate to give them the permanence that I didn't have -- although I'm still feeling a lot of wonderlust. Sigh...

I have an undergrad in English because I love reading and writing and detest math. For the next decade, I worked as a Budget Analyst. I then got a master in Human Resources, concentrating in Training and Development. I taught New Associates at a mutual fund company, which prepared me well for motherhood. Yikes.

The big confession: I'm not a "K" girl... That refers to my daughters.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action ~ Goethe

by theKgirls on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 05:45:46 AM PST

•  A fellow gypsy! (7+ / 0-)

I should have been born with a caravan attached. ;)

And now you've posed us a problem:  If you're not a Kgirl, what the heck do we call you now?

More hugggs, dear lady. :)

"No man is my enemy, my own hands imprison me, love rescue me." -- Love Rescue Me/U2

by winterbanyan on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 05:48:32 AM PST

•  it's madness around here this morning and (7+ / 0-)

I haven't had a chance to say good morning to you winter!

MrKgirls is in Asia and he stayed at the same hotel as Geitner and the rest of the US delegation in Singapore. He was feeling pretty important when he got upgraded to a suite on the top floor. Take that, dignitaries! He had to go through two metal detectors(but no frisking like a few people he saw) to get to his room. MrKgirls left a few hours before Pres Obama's arrival, where the security was sure to be more intense... But now he's in Shanghai and Pres Obama is due to arrive shortly. He's being stalked!

So between the phone calls and cooking and the general kid craziness, I'm in and out so much I can't follow a thread. But good morning and loads of huggggggs winter!

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action ~ Goethe

by theKgirls on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 06:06:05 AM PST

•  I know you have your hands (more than) full (6+ / 0-)

You have a very busy life.  Unlike some of us who live at the computer because we work at the computer and can take a few minute here and there to pop in :)

And imagine Obama stalking Mr. Kgirls.  I wouldn't have thought that of him.  I shall have to re-evaluate... but not for the reason so many on this site are doing so. ;)

Loads and loads of hugggs to you and the girls.

by winterbanyan on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 06:16:27 AM PST

•  Thanks. Maybe we should tap you for one (5+ / 0-)

of the in-services.

Human Resources, concentrating in Training and Development

Much of life is knowing what to Google

by JanF on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 05:48:59 AM PST

•  I went to 19 different schools (7+ / 0-)

to complete my k-12 education.  Some of the places were California, Florida, Texas, Minnesota.  I still have wanderlust.  But these days, it's satisfied with frequent travel rather than moving everything.

•  wow... I'll be you'd be a great politician (7+ / 0-)

You must be fabulous at meeting people! I was a very shy kid and being new worked to my advantage. The common wisdom is to move over the summer so kids can start the new school year, but I found it so much better to come in mid-year -- the teacher introduced me to the class and my classmates tripped over themselves to get the privlege of showing the new girl around.

I have to admit that the idea of packing up the house makes me happy to stay here for a while longer...  Packing ::shudder::

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action ~ Goethe

by theKgirls on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 06:13:47 AM PST

•  I can definitely chat with just about anyone (8+ / 0-)

at any time.  I also learned at a very early age that different places have different cultures.  But I'm so bluntly honest and non-photogenic that I don't think being a politician is a good career choice:-)

Instead of making lots of new friends when we moved, I went through a very introverted phase from ages 8-15.  I love to read and during that time I just lived in my books.  One of my parents' more benign punishment techniques was to remove all my books.

I still find it difficult to form more than a superficial relationship with most people. Going back to the trust discussions.  I don't expect people to be in my life for more than a short period of time.  It's tough to build community in a highly mobile society.  I'm mulling over the issue of common good.  Thinking about how the early pioneers who crossed the Oregon Trail absolutely had to trust and rely on one another for their survival.

Worse than packing is the thought of trying to sell a house in this economy.  Everything in my neighborhood has been sitting unsold for many months.

•  The non-photogenic would not end your career (6+ / 0-)

as a politician but the bluntly honest would not fit well in that climate. ;-)

I moved with about 2 months left in 2nd grade to halfway across the country. Because I talked "funny" (from Massachusetts) the kids at my new school made fun of me and I conveniently had laryngitis until school was out that year. We moved again right before 6th grade. Both moves were pretty traumatic from a social standpoint.

I also have a hard time developing deep friendships and I have no connections to the people I went to grade school, high school or college with. When I see people who have known each other since kindergarten it is amazing to me.

I coped by becoming a class clown (although I did read a lot also).

Much of life is knowing what to Google

by JanF on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 07:52:46 AM PST

•  Reading was my best friend :) (4+ / 0-)
                JanF, DBunn, NCrissieB, theKgirls

Books came with me wherever I went, and I haunted libraries.  In fact, I knew the librarians better than I knew my classmates.

Being non-photogenic myself, I was a little horrified to discover that someone I thought was filming me at a conference for their own personal use instead plastered me on YouTube and their webpage.

And no, I'm not saying where.  Ever.  Never.

by winterbanyan on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 11:40:10 AM PST

•  Moved a fair bit myself (4+ / 0-)
                  JanF, winterbanyan, NCrissieB, theKgirls

Oregon, London, Oregon, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Munich, and Rhode Island again, all before 8th grade. Then my family moved to California the week after I graduated high school, while I went to college in Massachusetts. One result, I am not in touch with anyone from grade school or high school, hardly anyone from college. Another result, I've lived in the same (gorgeous) place for 36 years.

I read a lot too, as a kid. Also, I have more experience of trans-continental train travel and trans-Atlantic ocean voyages than a lot of people.

:::

That YouTube thing doesn't sound like a lot of fun for you. My sympathies. Here, have a hugg.

•  This is a common issue ... (4+ / 0-)
              JanF, DBunn, winterbanyan, Caractacus

... with those of us who moved a lot as children:

I still find it difficult to form more than a superficial relationship with most people. Going back to the trust discussions. I don't expect people to be in my life for more than a short period of time.

There are studies showing that this is the norm for children who move often. (E.g.: this 2003 study.) The break point seems to be two school changes by age 10 or three school changes by age 15, not including those where the child changes schools along with his/her classmates (e.g.: elementary to middle school or middle to high school). Other longitudinal studies which we can't find immediately suggested that moves within a school district seem to have little effect, and that the trust-inhibiting effects of childhood mobility persist into adulthood. This implies that school - not the nuclear family - is a child's primary "community."

Good afternoon! ::hugggggs::

•  Interesting (4+ / 0-)
                JanF, winterbanyan, NCrissieB, theKgirls

You can add me to the list, for anecdotal corroboration (see my comment just above).

Seems like MF has a surprisingly high population of folks with this profile. Don't know what to make of that.

•  A lot of psychology research I know supports (2+ / 0-)
                JanF, NCrissieB

the idea that a child's peer group after grade 3 is a significantly more influential social force than any other, including parental influence.

The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think. - Edwin Schlossberg

by Caractacus on Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 09:45:27 PM PST

•  Child development ideas ... (1+ / 0-)
                  JanF

... like "it all goes back to the parents" and "kids' personalities are fixed by the time they start school" are very resilient, despite evidence that they're not entirely true.

The idea of the nuclear family as an insular community sufficient for child development was attractive for a number of reasons. Recall then Senator Bob Dole's rebuttal to then First Lady Hillary Clinton's book It Takes A Village:

And after the virtual devastation of the American family, the rock [upon which] this country was founded we are told that it takes a village, that is, the collective, and thus, the state, to raise a child. The state is now more involved than it has ever been in the raising of children, and children are now more neglected, abused, and more mistreated than they have been in our time. This is not a coincidence, and with all due respect I am here to tell you it does not take a village to raise a child. It takes a family to raise a child.

But Senator Dole's declaration doesn't match the data. As developmental psychology moved away from anecdotal evidence cherry-picked to support the myth of the insular and sufficient nuclear family, and  toward more rigorous longitudinal-statistical analysis, evidence began to show that children develop within larger communities. Whether influence from the larger community is necessary (the thesis of Secretary Clinton's book) misses the point. Unless parents go to great lengths to isolate their children from non-family contact - and that carries its own serious developmental risks - community influence happens and it shapes children more than some parents like.

Moreover, the evidence suggests our personalities remain fluid at least into early adulthood. That is no surprise for anyone who went through military recruit training, or has seen or dealt with PTSD after a traumatic event. But evidence shows that adult  personalities can be shaped by less extreme forces: subcultures at jobs, churches, etc.

•  Can you link to some of that research? (1+ / 0-)
                  NCrissieB

If it is not too technical, I would like to read it.

Much of life is knowing what to Google

by JanF on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 03:20:10 AM PST

•  The Itchy Feet Syndrome (7+ / 0-)

I have always been absolutely amazed at how often the early settlers/immigrants moved from place to place.  Of course, they didn't have much stuff to move, but I think of the women in long shirts and petticoats walking through tall grasses and I conclude, my feet would be rooted firmly in one spot on the ground.

• Recommended (145)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site