View Diary: Kudos to Georgetown University Law School (200 comments)

•  So you say (2+ / 0-)
    Clem Yeobright, teloPariah

I'd like to see a link or two to some proof.

Looking back through the Bush years for his Positive Accomplishments is, for me, like picking through my toddler's diaper for the undigested corn. - Thers

by MadRuth on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:34:52 AM PST

•  I guess you would respect them more (0+ / 0-)

if they made promises like this with no assurance that they could actually keep them when they come due?

That's peculiar.

Ignorance isn't exactly bliss but some things are better known when they are unknown to start with and pieced together on the way. - WineRev

by Clem Yeobright on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:41:32 AM PST

•  I would respect you more (1+ / 0-)
        teloPariah

if you gave a link that proved your point instead of responding to non sequiturs. There are other ways this could be finance other than insurance.  For instance, people could sign up for the program before they received the loans.  If they don't go into public service, the would have to repay the loan in full.

by MadRuth on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:47:17 AM PST

•  That's not financing. (0+ / 0-)

That's wishing on a star. Big difference.

Have you ever made a budget?

by Clem Yeobright on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:50:55 AM PST

•  Clem, I have to say that this string (2+ / 0-)
            MadRuth, Clem Yeobright

of comments demonstrates a pretty significant lack of understanding on your part about how a school operates.  Schools give scholarships all the time.  Scholarships are "financed" by tuition payments of other students who don't receive scholarships.  Schools also provide student loans.  If schools decide to forgive the loans, they will need to make it up with tuition dollars of other students (or endowment income or annual giving or other sources of revenues).  Insurance?  I don't see how that comes into play at all.  What insurance company is going to assume the risk that a school decides to forgive loans?

•  Not in the school of Finance, are you? (0+ / 0-)

Scholarships are part of the budget and allocated every year.

This is a matter of risk. No organization carries this level of risk by itself. Even if you as a student would make plans based on a promise about conditions in 10 years, the school will not make that commitment without knowing it can make good on it. That's what risk management is about.

by Clem Yeobright on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 09:53:53 AM PST

•  Actually, (0+ / 0-)

I have more finance experience than you would ever hope to have.  Again, please show me an insurance company that would assume the risk that its insured wouldn't write-off its receivables.  Let me help you.  There aren't any.

I think you might be confusing yourself with a school's credit decision as to whether or not to give credit (not course credit, but credit in the dollars and cents use of the word) to its students.  A school will of course try to manage the risk of defaults and will budget for bad debt expense.  But this is not the type of "risk management" that lends itself well to insurance.

Keep trying though, I'm here to help.

•  Why don't I believe you? (0+ / 0-)

There is no defined risk that you can't find an insurance company to underwrite.

You are interpreting this to be "a school's credit decision as to whether or not to give credit". If that were what Georgetown were doing, I would agree with you, but that's not what Georgetown is doing here. Georgetown is committing to give a well-defined sum of money to each of an unknown number of current students on a defined date 10 years in the future based on defined criteria. The conditions are well-known; the number of persons who will take advantage is not known. And Georgetown does not know what its finances will look like 10 years from now, nor what the U.S. economy will look like.

This is the risk that must be managed and is being shared with people willing to assume that risk for them.

by Clem Yeobright on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:35:27 PM PST

•  Yes (0+ / 0-)

Have you provided a link?

by MadRuth on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 08:51:02 AM PST