View Diary: "She's decided against treatment. A reasonable decision under the circumstances." (226 comments)

•  Yet you maintain that hernias are (0+ / 0-)

"wounds of ignorance or unfitness". Have you ever heard of "accidents"? Do you deny that such events happen in the actual real world?

Of course we should all train ourselves to minimize accidents but no matter how hard we try they will still happen.

Even when working as a member of the super-safety conscious UAW I was the victim of a minor accident, with a 5" x 8" piece of razor-sharp metal being flung into my face. The scar on my upper lip is still visible today after these many years.

In the same generally safe work environment, a man was killed on my shift, crushed by merciless large machinery on the sheet metal guillotine. Nobody knew how he managed to do it, but it happened.'

I imagine with all of your manual laboring experience, you must have been victim of or at least witness to accidents as well. Which was it that caused the accident, "ignorance or unfitness"?

News flash: we are not superman and superwoman.

Such arrogance, are you now employed in the field of medicine, perchance? It would fit the "blame the patient" philosophy that I have found so unique to the field.

How did the stones vote this time? They voted for hardness and few words. And the men? They voted against themselves and for fire which they could not control.

by lightfoot on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 03:12:34 PM PST

•  I maintain (1+ / 0-)
      lightfoot

that by and large hernias are avoidable.  That largely they are wounds of ignorance or unfitness.  That is the general case.   It isn't every case.  All generalisations are flawed in that they seldom universal.

The only manual labor I did was on vacation time or in the army, but I have done some.  Enough to know how important muscular awareness and control can be.  Yes, I have witnessed accidents.  All the ones I witnessed were the result of carelessness or ignorance - even those that occurred to me.

No we are not super people but if we do not aspire to such, to improve, to better, to progress then what are we worth?

And, no I am not employed in medicine although a number of doctors have asked where I got my non-existent medical training.  And yes, I do find the medical field to allow a lot of blunders and many of them can be ascribed to a similar cause, ignorance or lack of attention.  But doctors don't get enough time to "consider" during consultations so it isn't really surprising that that should be so.  No doubt you will interpret that as me saying that that is ok.  It isn't and I'm not saying that.  With our current systems you can't expect much else though.

Best Wishes, Demena Left/Right: -8.38; Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36

by Demena on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 03:29:11 PM PST

•  I can agree with the following (0+ / 0-)

most hernias are avoidable

What I cannot agree with is your original statement

hernias are wounds of ignorance or unfitness.

That is too restrictive and too unforgiving. You yourself cite "carelessness" as being a possible cause. Sometimes our attention may be diverted, thus causing an accident. We are not machines.

The man I mentioned above that died in the industrial accident? He had bypassed all safety protocols that had been drilled into our brains. Deaths at GM plants are rare, "Safety First" was emphasized by management and Union alike. The accident was so extraordinary that some whispered "murder". But most likely he crawled under some fencing without pulling the safety plug, probably to retrieve some dropped keys or something similarly trivial, and for some reason the machine cycled and dropped several tons of stacked sheet metal on him. It was not ignorance and it was beyond carelessness: it was a fatal lapse of judgment.

by lightfoot on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:05:16 PM PST

•  No (0+ / 0-)

So don't agree. That doesn't affect its rectitude.

A careless fatal lapse of judgement.

Best Wishes, Demena Left/Right: -8.38; Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36

by Demena on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 08:09:56 PM PST

•  I've refined my knowledge... (1+ / 0-)
            Demena

after some further reading on the topic I have concluded that

-Most hernias can be prevented by proper physical conditioning and adherence to safety protocols.

-Some hernias are congenital.[1][2]

-Some congenital hernias may not be expressed until later in life.[3][4]

-Some hernias tend to run in families and are due to a natural weakness in the abdominal muscles.[3][4]

-Some hernias develop along a weakness caused by a previous surgical incision. (This occurs after approximately 2% to 10% of all abdominal surgeries).[4]

-Some hernias are caused by fluid accumulation in the abdominal cavity.[4]

References
            [1]J. W. Duckett, "Treatment of Congenital Inguinal Hernia", Ann Surg. 1952 June; 135(6): 879–884.

Also [1A]Congenital inguinal hernia(Explicit graphics may be disturbing)

[2]Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia, Texas Pediatrical Surgical Associates, retrieved 2009-11-08.

[3] Hernia, Cleveland Clinic, retrieved 2009-11-08.

[4] Hernia, eMedicine Health (see pgs 1-2), retrieved 2009-11-08.

Discussions that result in learning are always welcomed by me, so I thank you.

by lightfoot on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 06:02:05 AM PST

•  So then, you finally agree.... (1+ / 0-)
              lightfoot

That is pretty much exactly what I said, isn't it?

Best Wishes, Demena Left/Right: -8.38; Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36

by Demena on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 02:27:49 PM PST

•  By the way (0+ / 0-)

The fact that you bothered to find out the truth and find the facts of the matter is something I think worthy of note.  It is something we all should do but all too seldom our opinions are regarded as out facts.  Well done.

Best Wishes, Demena Left/Right: -8.38; Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36