View Diary: I support More Troops In Afghanistan (127 comments)

•  I may not agree with you, but... (5+ / 0-)
    artmartin, ETF, on2them, FritztheCat, Jane Lew

it takes serious stones to write a diary like this on The Daily Kos.

Tipped and Rec'd for the courage alone - which you no doubt fortified as a result of your service to this country. Thank you for fighting for us.

I am already known as VirtualTruth, times have changed and so has my cause. The Far left can not become the new radical far right

by Liberal Reality Check on Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 05:50:40 AM PST

•  We Should Be Brining the Kids Home (1+ / 0-)
        One Pissed Off Liberal

If you and yours want to fight for the Afghan people please join the Karzai army.

If you are not willing to join the Karzai army why should American kids be ordered to prop Karzai up?

That is what is happening, American troops lives are being squandered to prop up yet another corrupt puppet regime.

Your argument would make more sense if the election had not been a fraud.

We Need CHEAP Solar Power and Medicines!

by OhanaLaMana on Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 05:56:07 AM PST

•  The Afghan election does make it (0+ / 0-)

very hard to support the increase in troops, however this is not about Karzai, this is about the security of the Afghan people which would also mean security for the American people.

If the Taliban and Al-Qaeda reestablish themselves in Afghanistan it will not bode well for the US on many levels.

by Liberal Reality Check on Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 05:59:38 AM PST

•  To You Maybe (2+ / 0-)
            lysias, One Pissed Off Liberal

But you are winning no converts with many of us.

I have a kid in the Army and nothing any warmonger has ever said justifies what we are doing in Iraq or Afghanistan.

We should have captured or killed Bin Laden and left Afghanistan.

We Need CHEAP Solar Power and Medicines!

by OhanaLaMana on Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 07:33:53 AM PST

•  Occupying Afghanistan is a very expensive way (0+ / 0-)

to try to secure this country from another attack by Al Qaeda.  It doesn't stop Al Qaeda from finding another base somewhere else.  And it is certainly far more expensive than beefing up our intelligence and police forces (which would work against terrorist bases in whatever country).

The influence of the [executive] has increased, is increasing, and ought to be diminished.

by lysias on Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 08:39:28 AM PST

•  I agree if we weren't in the bind (0+ / 0-)

we are currently in, the solution you gave would make sense. However this is not the point we are currently at. I am dealing with the reality of NOW, not the unrealized ideals.

by Liberal Reality Check on Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 09:17:41 AM PST

•  The reality of NOW is that we're in an unwinnable (0+ / 0-)

war.  Staying on there longer won't change the outcome, it will just mean more people will be killed.

by lysias on Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 11:19:55 AM PST

•  After listening to the speech I stand corrected (0+ / 0-)

there were THREE significant reasons for more troops to be sent to Afghanistan. After hearing the President's speech I feel even stronger about my support for the President and the troop increase.

by Liberal Reality Check on Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 06:36:47 PM PST

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (73)
  • 2016 (57)
  • Elections (47)
  • Environment (46)
  • Media (43)
  • Republicans (39)
  • Hillary Clinton (37)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (35)
  • Civil Rights (33)
  • Law (33)
  • Iraq (32)
  • Culture (32)
  • Barack Obama (32)
  • Jeb Bush (30)
  • Climate Change (30)
  • Economy (27)
  • Labor (25)
  • Bernie Sanders (21)
  • Congress (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site