View Diary: Quick-Fixing Jobs Is a Snare and a Delusion (180 comments)

•  Well, I would have to say he hasn't (0+ / 0-)

been specific about the amount, but didn't he talk about job creation?

So, we're just going to let people run out of unemployment and go homeless, is that it?  We shouldn't try to do anything?

*this space available for lease if you have something appropriately witty for me to share*

by xysea on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 12:09:55 PM PST

•  I'm Not Saying That (2+ / 0-)

We shouldn't try to do anything?

What I am saying is that the same mind set is a work here that was at work in March 2008

1.) We must do something
      2.) This is something

Ergo, we must do this

What the U.S. needs is to create a massive amount of jobs which create new wealth not simply redistribute wealth, and which are sustainable over the long term. Those who are running around parroting the talking points of 'green jobs' 'infrastructure jobs', etc. only ignore that none of these talking points address that fundamental problem, because none of these types of job creation ideas will do that, even if taken together.

<div style="font-size:10px;text-align:center;background-color:#ffd;color:#f33">If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow - G. Bush

by superscalar on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 12:16:53 PM PST

•  I see. So what jobs do you think (0+ / 0-)

President Obama should create and where?

by xysea on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 12:42:54 PM PST

•  President Obama Cannot Create Jobs (0+ / 0-)

Furthermore, the president is a prisoner of policies which pre-date him by decades -- policies which he, at this point, is virtually powerless to really change or affect in any meaningful way.

by superscalar on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 12:47:28 PM PST

•  I see. So, then I ask you. (0+ / 0-)

Are we to do nothing? You say we shouldn't, but you knock down each thing said.  Any ideas?

by xysea on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 12:50:01 PM PST

•  No, I Have No Solution To This Problem (0+ / 0-)

Any ideas?

Do you? In other words, I believe that the problem is as I have stated it

Do you have an solution to this problem?

by superscalar on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 12:54:57 PM PST

•  Why won't the green jobs and infrastructure jobs (0+ / 0-)

do this?  Why won't boosting entrepeneurship do this?  Why won't retraining people do this?

There are many up and coming job markets, and the environmental sector is one of them.  Several partnerships could be made with outfits from other countries, if need be, to bring new wealth into America.

It's not all dead end hopelessness unless you believe it is.  Then, it most surely will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

by xysea on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 12:57:11 PM PST

•  If you had been paying attention... (0+ / 0-)

for the last 3 decades, you would have noticed the most massive redistribution of wealth in the US at least since Emanicpation.  Unfortunately, it was upward.

There's no such thing as a free market!

by Albanius on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 02:13:11 PM PST

•  Inherent in this is the notion... (0+ / 0-)

...that "redistribution" is off limits.

Perhaps that's the root problem. Once the Money Changers have seized the assets (and make no mistake: the "bubbles" have been opportunities for the richest among us to to take our distressed assets at pennies on the dollar), far too many of us have decided that they have some inalieable right to permanent economic overlord status.

I am soooo not looking forward to living in some hand built slum near a garbage heap while the Money Changers decide which of us will be favored with some intermittent day work....

"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will." -- Frederick Douglass

by Egalitare on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 02:54:43 PM PST

•  I object to this characterisation: (2+ / 0-)
        Meteor Blades, Egalitare

That's actually pretty rude.  If you don't agree with me, fine, but to imply I can't or won't think for myself is unfair, to put it mildly.

by xysea on Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 12:45:26 PM PST