View Diary: H1N1 Update: Get your shot now! (98 comments)

•  The H1N1 vaccine push was a scam (1+ / 0-)
    prose

I will never be manipulated like that again.

I don't even KNOW anyone who ever got worse than a cold.  And as far as people who died from flu ... it's less than in years past.

Some drug companies sure found out a way to drum up their own stimulus package though.

•  The vaccine is not a big money (5+ / 0-)

maker for the drug companies. That has been part of the production problem. The alert sounded as a result of documented cases in other parts of the world. The cdc confirmed the concern of Pandemic. This was not a conspiracy or scam.

•  CDC acted promptly-vaccine was low yield (8+ / 0-)

The seed virus used for the first vaccine batches begun in May proved to be low-yielding, something they couldn't know until August when the first vaccine was harvested.  They switched to a higher yielding strain as soon as they could. The only problem was that the original estimates of how much vaccine would be available were overly optimistic, which raised expectations, and led to frustration when the vaccine supplies were low initially.

Good thing we've still got politics in Texas -- finest form of free entertainment ever invented.- Molly Ivins

by loblolly on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 08:11:16 AM PST

•  No it's not less than in previous years. It (12+ / 0-)

killed far more young people than in a normal flu season. Having said that, it was a mild pandemic strain, thank goodness.

He who distinguishes the true savor of food can never be a glutton, he who does not cannot be otherwise. - Thoreau

by the fan man on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 08:09:06 AM PST

•  Your friends and family have been lucky (3+ / 0-)
      Naniboujou, loblolly, Larin

Over half the people in my office and their families had what their doctors said was H1N1.  Almost all of them were out 4 - 5 days with their own illness and then many had to stay home with sick children.  Since we only have 5 approved sick days, the supervisors had to lobby (hard) for extended paid leave.

While we felt deeply that our younger employees with families could not afford to lose a week's pay, we chose to base our argument on the massive slowdown of business that would occur if the managers/dept. heads caught it and were unable to work.

My estimate is that we lost between 50 - 75 employee work days last fall.  That's the most I've seen at the company since joining in 1981.

Sometimes it's better to individually address a problem rather than just criticize our politicians for failing to do so.

by texasmom on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 09:11:35 AM PST

•  I know someone who got worse than a cold (5+ / 0-)

A 28 year old, healthy, atheletic employee of mine got the flu at a camping event.  She called in sick on Monday, on Wednesday the urgent care gave her antibiotics for the pnemonia she was developing, by Saturday she was in intensive care on a respirator.  They took her off of life support two weeks later and she died -- her lungs simply couldn't absorb oxygen, even on the ventilator and her brain died.

This was a confirmed case of H1N1.  You're right, most people just got a mild case.  But my friend died.

I and all the employees in my office got our shots yesterday.  Our insurance covered it but if it hadn't we would have paid the bill.

•  I'm sorry to hear about your friend (3+ / 0-)

When a healthy athletic person like your friend dies of H1N1 it is a painful reminder that the course of the disease can't be predicted. While most of the cases are mild, over 12,000 people have died world-wide according to the World Health Organization. I'm glad that all of you got your shots.

by loblolly on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 09:40:31 AM PST

•  I know someone who died from complications (2+ / 0-)
      william shipley, loblolly

of H1N1. Left behind three young children.

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" RFK

by Light Emitting Pickle on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 11:06:43 AM PST

•  When you die ... (0+ / 0-)

... of H1N1 flu, I want your stuff.

We were married in each others heart, mind, body and soul. We were married in the eyes of our community and our respective Deities. We were married!

by The Werewolf Prophet on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 12:58:03 PM PST

•  How come everytime (0+ / 0-)

I make a comment about the drug industry pure progressives pick up my comment like a piece of broken glass and jam it into my heart, as though my death would be an amusement to them.

This is a very dark and ugly side of people.

•  I can only speak for myself, but ... (0+ / 0-)

... for me, it's simply because I've lost all patience with people whose willful stupidity is a danger to the rest of us.

Pandemic flu is a public health crisis, which means each of us individually should cooperate with what's asked of us by those in our government charged with caring for the well being of the general populace.

Does government screw up occasionally, even often? Of course, but pandemic disease prevention by mass vaccination is a simple concept easily executed, as opposed to, for example, managing a national economy in the face of globalization.

H1N1 KILLS and in a different pattern than that of seasonal flu. Though you might survive with only mild symptoms, you could give it to me; with a compromised immune system, I'm at a very high risk for complications or death.

In turn, I work with the youth at my church, and since kids are especially vulnerable to this strain, I have a responsibility to protect not only myself, but those I come in contact with. Consequently, I got vaccinated as soon as I could.

by The Werewolf Prophet on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 05:58:26 PM PST