View Diary: H1N1 Update: Get your shot now! (98 comments)

•  It takes about 10-14 days for the vaccine to (6+ / 0-)

protect you fully. So you should still take as many precautions as possible when you are flying. Like the diarist, I have a condition that compromises my immunity. But my state maintained its restrictions on vaccine distribution well into December. It took some creativity to get my shot in time before I flew over the holidays--finally managed to get it just over two weeks before my 1st flight. I was fine.

And for all those in the diary minimizing H1N1, my high school aged nephew--normally healthy as a horse--had it this fall. About 300/800 of his classmates out at one point, and a large portion of his football team was knocked out. One of his closest friends (who probably gave it to him) ended up with pneumonia. BTW, my nephew's case was officially confirmed as H1N1 by his state health department. Fortunately, he recovered well.

"Women shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of women." droogie6655321

by earicicle on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 08:46:45 AM PST

•  H1N1 has been more serious in children (5+ / 0-)
      texasmom, Naniboujou, marykk, earicicle, cdkipp

Getting more of them vaccinated is important to keep it from spreading rapidly in schools. As a former teacher, I can testify to how quickly respiratory illnesses can spread in classrooms. I'm not a big believer in perfect attendance awards, which in my opinion encourage parents to send sick children to school, exacerbating the spread of illnesses.

Good thing we've still got politics in Texas -- finest form of free entertainment ever invented.- Molly Ivins

by loblolly on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 08:54:53 AM PST

•  I was livid that the school refused to shut down. (1+ / 0-)
        marykk

Long story...don't get me started!

by earicicle on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 09:12:57 AM PST

•  I feel your pain (2+ / 0-)
          texasmom, earicicle

In a perfect world,  everyone would follow the recommendations to stay home for 24 hours after the fever disappears, but many do not. My brother-in-law was so concerned about his son getting a perfect attendance award that he sent him back to school even though he still had a fever, therby exposing his classmates and teachers. Sigh.

by loblolly on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 09:29:55 AM PST

•  And of course, when you get the flu, you're (1+ / 0-)
            texasmom

contagious BEFORE you're symptomatic. With that many kids out, seemingly "healthy" kids were certainly bringing the virus back into the school from their sick siblings at home. I guess, on the up side, the school should do relatively well when the flu peaks next, since so many of the kids have already had it. And it did motivate my nephew's intensely needle-phobic older brother (off in college) into the nurse's office for both flu vaccines: the seasonal shot and the H1N1 nasal version.

by earicicle on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 10:09:40 AM PST

•  Good point (1+ / 0-)
              earicicle

Kids can be contagious before symptoms develop, but  as soon as  parents know their child is sick, especially with H1N1 , they should keep them home until 24 hours after the fever is gone to keep from infecting others. One reason I decided to retire from teaching was being immune compromised and being constantly exposed to infections. At least I never had anyone throw up on my desk as happened to one of my friends!

by loblolly on Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 10:44:31 AM PST