View Diary: Orthodox Union condemns attack on mosque (142 comments)

•  You both misrepresent the postion (2+ / 0-)
    Paul in Berkeley, oldskooldem

after the fact and frankly it is pretty obvious that this thread was "spoken" in anger by both of you.

What OSD actually said:

I support systematic law enforcement measures to save life.  I don't believe in humiliation just to humiliate.  But just yesterday, a murdering terrorist was stopped by these policies with a 32 pound bomb.  Stopping just one of these evil murderers is justification for policies that are more stringent than the policies in, say, Iowa or Montana.  When the murderous thugs stop, so will the law enforcement measures intended to stop them.

Now in certain cases these policies do work but more than not they are used justify all kinds of "profiling".

Now as far as Israel's security - OSD is right when it comes to general security. Checking everyone'sbags in public places, grenade netting on buses, calling in lone packages to bomb squads and so forth I believe and so forth ARE legitimate.

Now sorta you are the one saying that OSD believes in a more extreme version of Zionism than I have heard him express. Your accusations are also triggered as angry. You have even gone so far with me though in fairness I have gone there with you as well though I think we both realize that is not the case.

In the thread that you presented though OSD clearly states that he feels security overrides everything in presenting the loss of life - Jew or Gentile. I disagree with his arguments as I think abusive security can cause more problems than it solves. Look at our experience here with Dick Cheney. HOWEVER, I don't see him doing what you claim directly.

On the other hand and always ready with a remark is Eiron who says this:

Well, not just any life (2+ / 0-)

Recommended by:corvo, Anorish

in some theology, saving a Jewish life is worth innumerable other lives.  That was the moral framework for Cast Lead.

Those who hear not the music-think the dancers mad

by Eiron on Sat Nov 28, 2009 at 02:52:30 PM PST

I saw OSD's comment and I read it differently but I do see how it could be taken a certain way.

Some times you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

by volleyboy1 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 06:40:24 PM PST

•  honestly (3+ / 0-)

I am so so over trying to have a dialogue with racists and those who justify racism or excuse it. oldskooldem explicitly uses Judaism to justify humiliation of Arabs. He made this point explicitly and repeatedly, over and over. This is nothing more than racist racial profiling he is justifying.

I am officially done with you. And with the Zionist racists littering this place. There will not be peace as long as people are ethnic nationalists and do not support equality. Zionism, liberal or conservative, has dehumanized Arabs and Palestinians from the outset. The only solution is a one-state solution of equal rights, and no more justifications for the privileging of one ethnic group over another. Nothing justifies that kind of racism against Palestinians, not Judaism, not Jewish suffering, not Jewish history.

Good luck with your attempts at dialogue with Arabs and Palestinians. I think I speak for most (if not all) of us when I say that you guys are full of shit.
      Ciao.

•  Ciao have fun man (3+ / 0-)

No one justified or excused racism - but hey have at your delusions and your accusations.

by volleyboy1 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 08:23:22 PM PST

•  BTW - Stay Classy by (5+ / 0-)

comparing Zionists to trssh

And with the Zionist racists littering this place.

and look Jon the antizionist Khazer uprates that. Excellent move. Really. Still nathan none of us are going to stay away from our advocacy of a peaceful two state solution and civil rights for Palestinian citizens of Israel.

So please cast all the aspirations and lies that you like. If that makes you feel better - more power to you.

by volleyboy1 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 09:35:44 PM PST

•  What happened to Fryd Daze??? (2+ / 0-)
          thebluecrayon, volleyboy1

We obviously need a place to chill out and have some fun together.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all meet up in a bar with great music, dance and drink with no knowledge of who is "I" or "P"?  Then we could bond as people without all the insane baggage we now carry.

Consider adopting a homeless pet at PAWS.org (Progressive Animal Welfare Society)

by hikerbiker on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 10:16:43 PM PST

•  Frydaze are gone (2+ / 0-)
            oldskooldem, volleyboy1

because volleyboy reached out, in an attempt at friendship, and nathan and his ilk spit in volleyboy's face. I told volleyboy that what he was doing was pretty much like Obama trying bipartisanship with the Republicans. It just ain't worth it.  Obviously, the pro-P public relations machine is quite effective, as you can tell from the extremely high levels of sympathy for the Palestinian cause among the American public. Recently it topped 17 percent!

In loving memory: Sophie, June 1, 1993-January 17, 2005. My huckleberry friend.

by Paul in Berkeley on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 10:21:23 PM PST

•  Hey man at least I tried (4+ / 0-)

BUT... just because nathan and Jon the antizionist Khazar happen to think we are like trash "littering" the site doesn't mean everyone does.

Not only that but we still have a moral obligation to seek peace - but not at the expense of Israel as the Homeland of the Jewish People.

Hey at least he and Jon are honest finally about their feelings regarding Peace. Oh well.... Look how well that has worked out.

Kinda sux in the end though. The thing is the Pro-Peace people here are actually good people though unlike the GOP who really are not. There has to be a way one way or another to make it work.

by volleyboy1 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 10:32:51 PM PST

•  jon is a jew (1+ / 0-)
                Fire bad tree pretty

no one except perhaps stormfronters and neo nazi types is making the argument these Khazar jews are not jews. are you going to continue w/this pattern of name calling that denies (not ignores) his self identification as a jew? you do not have to answer that but please stop. this is not a sands diary where even there it would be a slur.

•  That was a snarky remark (2+ / 0-)
                  Paul in Berkeley, oldskooldem

made after Jon uprated a comment comparing Zionists to trash:

so....

Remember I was the one who said in all honesty in the past diary that Jon can identify as whatever he wants and it is not up to us to tell him what he really is.

On the same time if he is going to uprate a comment implying in my mind I am "trash" then I am going to give him back what he is dishing.

by volleyboy1 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 08:47:13 AM PST

•  i think... (4+ / 0-)

the days of good faith and respectful discussion might be over for now hiker, based on what i have seen in the past few days from a variety of people that know better. and on that note, in dedication to fryday and the freezing cold here...

"I spend my days and nights pondering the meaning of life, the state of the universe, and the Home Shopping Network." -- Donald Roller Wilson

by canadian gal on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 10:21:26 PM PST

•  They are done (4+ / 0-)

I can't do them in good conscience anymore. I like what they were but, with the hatred and ridiculous meme's floating around honestly it seems a waste.

Your idea of a general hangout would be good but people have their own ideas on the internet.

Your comment below is dead on.... I really had learned a lot from people.

I for one still do support two states with a just peace for Jews and Palestinians. We all can live together despite the hatred and allegations on both sides.

I think the people there will find a way.

by volleyboy1 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 10:22:19 PM PST

•  i find (0+ / 0-)

racists and enablers of racism equivalent to trash.

Look at you, jump to the defense of a segregationist racist like oldskooldem. Tell me, do you agree that Judaism justifies humiliating me?

the problem with all of you and your bullshit is you like the idea of "dialogue" with Arabs only to make you feel better about yourselves because you are god liberals. I'm not interested in being part of a bullshit dialogue which is not based on human rights and equality. All the while, you've all internalized the racist aspects of Zionism to the point that you don't even think that what is obviously racist is racist anymore.

So really, in all my time here, there is not one person I think gives a damn about real equality or the rights of refugees. All I've seen is people making racist arguments about Palestinian birth-rates and shit like that. You can take that kind of discourse and shove it.

But, speaking of birth-rates, I look forward to the day when Palestinians out-number Israeli Jews, and they demand equality, and the racist system that oppresses them is dismantled. You guys are on the wrong side. All of you.

•  I did not jump to anyone's defense (1+ / 0-)
            Paul in Berkeley

neither his nor yours. I think you mis-read him and I think he wrote something that was very poorly thought out.

Of course it does not.

Notice I said this:

Notice the word EVERYONE - that does not say just Palestinians it says E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E.

Further note this:

That hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement of profiling now does it?

This is exactly what we are talking about - thank you for making the case for progressive Zionism. If the current Occupation continues that is exactly what will happen, that's why a two state solution based around Taba is necessary to preserve a Jewish Homeland and Democracy.

So I can see why Progressive Zionism bothers you more than Likudnikim. It is not because "they supposedly are what we really are like". It is because you know if we (Progressive Zionists) win out your wishes WON'T come to pass. When I say your wishes I mean - a secular democratic State combining the peoples.

This is an option we know won't work, there won't be peace. We are too different not have different states.

You misrepresent a lot in this thread and you are welcome to that. But you are not going to get your One State - not at this point in history. Perhaps when the world has moved past petty bickering and religious inspired mayhem (All people suffer from that) maybe.... But not now, and not for the foreseeable future.

In that future though - I do agree with you ultimately it would be good. Just it is the wrong thing at the wrong time.

by volleyboy1 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 08:26:48 AM PST

•  Seriously, dude (1+ / 0-)
            Paul in Berkeley

I'm happy to defend every word of what I said, but I have no ability to respond to false namecalling.  Take on my statements.  Happy to get into a theological discussion with you about pikuach nefesh.

"Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided." --Barack Obama, June, 2008

by oldskooldem on Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 08:54:18 AM PST

•  Do you feel that (1+ / 0-)
              oldskooldem

I am accurately portraying what you said or am I wrong in my interpretation.

I realize the comment was to nathan - but I am curious if I am reading you wrong.

by volleyboy1 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 08:56:13 AM PST

•  More or less, yeah... (0+ / 0-)

This started with an assertion that strip searching is humiliating so it is, by its very nature, wrong.  I responded that according to Jewish law, almost anything that can be done to save lives is justified.  I'm honestly shocked I got so much push back on the point.  Are there really people who think that its okay if suicide bombers blow innocent people up so as to spare people the occasional indignity of being strip searched?  That seems pretty extreme.

by oldskooldem on Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 02:54:18 PM PST

•  wow. (4+ / 0-)

Way to use that broad brush.

I think that many of our discussions here have been fruitful and enlightening.

It would be a shame if we couldn't continue the dialogue out here in cyberspace.  Doesn't bode well for hopes of peace on the ground, if we can't at least do that.

Sad.

by hikerbiker on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 10:13:13 PM PST

•  O/T (3+ / 0-)

Happy Hanukkah to all of you.  My optimism for peace is...uh...well it's MIA right now after this week.  Thanks vb for trying Frydaze, it was good pursuit.  I don't think any of us are in that mindframe right now.

Right now, IMHO, if I-P here was outlawed, it would be a better site.

Peace, latkes and dreidels to you all.

•  Shalom v' Chag Sameach (2+ / 0-)
            thebluecrayon, hikerbiker

This is when we have to reach for peace but if people from the other side here don't want to engage (and it so far is only two of them) then no problem we can still work towards a fair solution. Our first job is to work towards Peace on our side. To help groups like Shalom Achshav stop the settlements that are destroying the State. To help stop the turn rightward in Israel. To reach out to try to find people on the other side that are sick of fighting. That is what we need to do.

I/P should not be outlawed here - it is reasonable on the Progressive side for us to debate this course. Progressives are being misled by the silly cartoonish representations of Israel and the Zionist movement. We need to combat that. First though we need to put our own "house in order". Look, Ben-Gurion, Eban, Rabin had a great dream. We owe it to them to continue progressive Zionism in the face of the bigots from our right and from our left. They would not have quit and we should not.

by volleyboy1 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 11:48:02 PM PST

•  Right back atcha (0+ / 0-)

You're a fucking joke.  Talk about full of shit. The whites of your eyes are brown, that's how full of shit you are.

In loving memory: Sophie, June 1, 1993-January 17, 2005. My huckleberry friend.

by Paul in Berkeley on Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 10:19:05 PM PST

•  i'd just like to (0+ / 0-)

acknowledge this one sentence of yours that proceeded so many others.

other than that, it reads like an evasion. checking out the links and reflecting there are hundreds of checkpoints in the west bank where palestinians are subject to humiliating searches, not even within israel or for israels security but to secure jewish settlers deep within the WB, presumably.

we also have a situation where extremist residents walk around w/machine guns on a daily basis. the schools built on stolen land, the religious schools i assume some of them teaching a form of judaism that mirrors the fanatics there. i think you may be glossing over a big chunk of 'hatred'.  thanks for that one sentence, more than not they ARE used justify all kinds of profiling.

•  Well zannie I give you credit (0+ / 0-)

for acknowledging that though I disagree with your comment. However, that is a starting place.

There is no evasion intended. I don't support the occupation so I don't support what is happening in the West Bank. There is an element of humiliation to that but there is also an element of security. You know as well as I do the Second Intifada did have an extremely violent phase.

That said, again see this:

When I was in last in Israel EVERYONE was subject to certain security measures. I found these to be necessary. OSD in his anger though did not clarify his meanings regarding security and by calling nathan a racist triggered nathan's own reaction. When though people are evicted from their homes in East Jerusalem or are prevented from going to work in collective punishment that is security that may not be worth the price.

I clearly state that this is not positive.

I think both sides mis-read things honestly and I read OSD as carelessly, angrily defending his people and not thinking of all of the implications that come from that. His comment on religion was that ALL religions talk about their own people. But I see how it could be taken a certain way because he did not clarify.

nathan chose to view it one way and went over the top. Given what happens to the Palestinians in the West Bank - I can understand his angst regarding OSD's comment particularly when OSD did not explain.

Now I could be reading OSD's comment wrong. If I am then he can correct me. At the same time nathan is wrong to smear everyone with such a broad brush and implying Zionists are "trash" is over the line.

As for this:

who is israel and where are they? they are protecting these vigilantes. their leaders are free. more are being flown in from ny and palestinians are being moved out of their homes to make way for them and olive groves are being removed for their expansions.

They are called Shalom Achshav and most of what remains of the Israeli Left. There is a small portion of people still in Israel that do speak and act against them. Now many here will denounce Peace Now but they are the people working to end this mess.

Anyhow, I do appreciate your post even if I disagree with some of it's assumptions. That is what this board is about.

by volleyboy1 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 08:43:15 AM PST

•  argh (0+ / 0-)

i was almost all thru w/a long post and my computer ate it. i know you I clearly state that this is not positive but the thrust of your post was to defend and emotional post analytically which usually just serves to inflame. plus, nathan didn't smear everyone with such a broad brush and implying Zionists are "trash"

he said this

there are  Zionist racists littering this place and there is also a period between that sentiment and his reference to you. furthermore maybe you are not familiar w/the conversation taking place elsewhere about 'jewish nationalists'. you might want to check out goldberg's latest op ed at forward over the israeli nyt correspondents usage of the term.

iow, ethnic nationalist doesn't mean 'zionist' and your broad brush accusation is uncalled for but you're excused.

The N.Y. Times and the Jewish Nationalism Question. Bring Your Own Elephant.

The New York Times touched off a lively little debate Wednesday morning, probably unwittingly, with an article from its Jerusalem bureau that was headlined “Jewish Nationalists Clash With Palestinians.” You don’t see the term “Jewish nationalist” very often these days, except in historical discussions of Zionism and its attempt to rebuild the Jewish nation. Suddenly, here it is in the newspaper of record, describing a group of people who probably wouldn’t get much sympathy from most Times readers. It seems that more than a few New Yorkers woke up Wednesday morning, scanned the paper over a cup of coffee, came to Page A-12 and suddenly found themselves wondering if the Grey Lady was now using Zionism as a term of abuse, equating the movement for Jewish liberation with its most extreme wing.

The answer is to be found, I think, in the ever-growing gap of incomprehension that divides Israelis and American Jews.

check it out. as for the rest of my brilliant post its lost forever!