View Diary: ALL Hands On Deck: CALL Congress Today On Health Bill! (280 comments)

•  I don't care if it "bails out" private insurers (2+ / 0-)
    PittsburghPete, stella0710

I only care if it makes life better for people who are suffering right now and at least begins a process of cost control.  The commentator's I trust most on the subject, Paul Starr, Ezra Klein, Jonathan Cohn, all say it does.  They're all very clear that this bill, as flawed as it is, is a BIG step forward.

They also serve who only stand and wait. -- John Milton

by seanwright on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 11:38:00 AM PST

•  No, it doesn't make life better for people. (0+ / 0-)

I work full-time with the FDL team on health reform thanks to your donations.

by slinkerwink on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 11:44:18 AM PST

•  Yes, it does. Argument over. (1+ / 0-)
        PittsburghPete

They also serve who only stand and wait. -- John Milton

by seanwright on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 11:54:31 AM PST

•  hide rate this comment. (0+ / 0-)

inappropriate to any discussion.

Sorry Republicans, ** We Surround You **

by BrandonM on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 12:20:44 PM PST

•  What if it's true? The passage of this (1+ / 0-)
            seanwright

bill means that I will finally be able to purchase coverage.  Right now no one will cover me because of a pre-existing condition.  This bill will help me, end of argument, and a lot of others in my position, end of argument.  The comment is appropriate to this discussion.  End of argument.

President Barack Obama; I helped make this happen!

by PittsburghPete on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 12:26:17 PM PST

•  I hear you PittsurghPete (0+ / 0-)

I will probably be "hurt" by this bill.  I am single and make too much money to get any subsidy.  I am healthy and I don't carry any insurance because I have a ton of student loan and credit card debt I'm paying off and I don't feel like I can afford health insurance right now.

So, in a way, I don't look forward to being mandated to buy insurance.  But if I were to get seriously ill or injured under the present system, I'd be screwed.  So, while I don't expect to see immediate benefits from this reform, it will provide me with additional security and it WILL help you and millions of other people as soon as it is implemented, which makes me happy.  So that's why I support the bill.

They also serve who only stand and wait. -- John Milton

by seanwright on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 12:47:35 PM PST

•  slinkerwink's last response (0+ / 0-)

simply negated my premise without discussion.  So I just negated hers and declared the argument over.  When somebody responds to something you say by saying "no you're wrong" there isn't much else you can do.

They also serve who only stand and wait. -- John Milton

by seanwright on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 12:41:27 PM PST

•  You want to tell that to my sister's face? (2+ / 0-)
        seanwright, PittsburghPete

That her life won't be better because of the bill?

You want to tell that to the uninsured hotel workers who cleaned your room at Netroots Nation last summer?  That their life won't be better because of this bill?

You want to tell that to the waitress currently saddled with an $8,000 deductible who just received a phone call that her 15-year-old diabetic son is in the hospital after having a blackout in class?

•  That waitress will still have high-deductible (0+ / 0-)

junk insurance under this Senate bill. Private insurance companies can still fuck over your sister by denying her claims and giving her the ol' administrative run-around.

I work full-time with the FDL team on health reform thanks to your donations.

by slinkerwink on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 12:08:59 PM PST

•  Proof please. (0+ / 0-)

President Barack Obama; I helped make this happen!

by PittsburghPete on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 12:26:58 PM PST

•  False. (1+ / 0-)
            seanwright

See, slink, you can't even get your facts straight.  Let's say the waitress earns $24,000/yr. (between 150 and 200 percent FPL for a family of 2).  Then she would pay 6.3% of her income, or $1,512 (6.3% * $24,000) for a policy having 80% actuarial value (an HMO with no deductible, $25 doctor visits, $15 for generic drugs, $500 for hospitalization, and a $4,000 out-of-pocket cap).  I'd say the waitress and her diabetic son are much, much better off than their current $8,000 deductible policy.

And yes, if my sister wants an experimental treatment, then yes, she should be required to pay for the treatment herself.  Otherwise, that will just increase everyone's premiums and cost-sharing, and we'll be where we currently are -- you only get any treatment -- effective or experimental -- if you can afford it.  I'm am suprised that a person who lectures everyone so much about the importance of cost control would take your position -- that of Betsy McCaughey and Jon Kyl -- on comparative effectiveness research.

•  Yes and Ive already said as much (0+ / 0-)

to someone else.

This isnt about ANECDOTE dammit. this is about statistics.

statistically speaking if we can help .5% of the people now, but never get to help the other 99.5% again because we used up all our capital trying to pass the shittiest capitulation in modern history

Thanks but no fucking thanks.

Sorry Republicans, ** We Surround You **