View Diary: It's Saturday Night, and kossacks are fighting (108 comments)

•  I have more than a clue (35+ / 0-)

after all, I have written extensively on the need for real health care, not just insurance reform.  And I go and volunteer to try to make a difference.

I may or may not agree with what angers you.  That I do not agree with your tactics does not mean I do not understand.  I think I made that clear in the diary.

Perhaps you should read it more carefully before you begin to attack or denigrate me?

Peace.

do we still have a Republic and a Constitution if our elected officials will not stand up for them on our behalf?

by teacherken on Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 05:55:21 PM PST

•  You May Not Have the Clue on This You Think (1+ / 0-)
      tnproud2b

I read your diary, and this agree with several of its points and many of its conclusions.

I have no wish to denigrate or attack you, but you ought to know that you are on the wrong side of this on the merits and on the politics.

I'm sure you mean well, but this is an issue that is more important than just meaning well.

•  you perceive me as being on the opposite side (22+ / 0-)

from you, and therefore on the wrong side.

Someone else can go back and tell you that you are on the wrong side, and offer cogent reasons from his perspective why that is so.

I am not speaking to the merits of the issue of healthcare in this diary.  I am rather addressing the manner of speaking and acting.  That is something different.

I am a strong supporter of a robust public option.  I think I have made that clear in the past.  I organized support for Raul Grijalva because of what he was doing in the House for the public option.

I oppose Stupak.  I do not think much of Ben Nelson.

I also tend to look down the road, forwards and backwards.  And there are those whose judgment I trust, even when I may disagree.  On the top of that list on many things is Russ Feingold, who is going to vote for this bill.  That carries some influence with me, because he has stood for public office, and been willing to take positions that were not popular, sometimes with his constituent, sometimes with some in his caucus.

I am speaking of tone, of tenor (and I am a bass). . .  most of all of persons, including those willing to stand for public office.

Peace.

by teacherken on Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 06:05:51 PM PST

•  It's Not Personal (0+ / 0-)
          you perceive me as being on the opposite side from you, and therefore on the wrong side.

I perceive you as being on the same side as me, but dead wrong on the merits and politics of this healthcare issue. (Much as I do with Paul Krugman.)

I don't think you a bad guy.  I just think you are dangerously misinformed on the state of play on the healthcare debate.

•  key line (12+ / 0-)

And I go and volunteer to try to make a difference.

Which is more important than anything any of us write here, no matter how passionate.  And which makes the sentiment behind this diary a damn good deal more productive for progressive goals than most of the hot air expelled on this site this week.

"I agree with you, I want to do it, now make me do it." -- FDR

by Nuisance Industry on Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 06:03:31 PM PST

•  Our individual efforts (8+ / 0-)

do far more good than our opinions.  There is always work to be done, as my mother (a 60's civil rights volunteer) always told me.

Sometimes it's better to individually address a problem rather than just criticize our politicians for failing to do so.

by texasmom on Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 06:34:15 PM PST

•  and Meteor Blades' sig line, last time I noticed (1+ / 0-)
        theal8r

was something like don't tell me what you believe, tell me what you do and I'll tel you what you believe or something with that call to action sentiment.

And he has been asking us to talk to each other here like we were sitting next to each other in the basement in those pajamas and sharing the bag of Cheetos.

If I can't imagine that I'll go into the kitchen and fix a PBJ.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices--François-Marie Arouet

by CA Berkeley WV on Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 09:07:47 PM PST

•  I will never denigrate what someone writes (0+ / 0-)

I ca imagine many for who the kind of volunteering I have done is not possible.  A person may have phsycial limitations, an inability to travel  (Wise and Grundy are both circa 7 hours of driving time in good weather), or have employment or other responsibilities that would prevent their doing that kind of volunteering, or possibly even something closer to home and thus more accessible.

But through the power of their words such persons can often provide the spark that motivates others.

Words matter.  I think that is something we should have learned in the past campaign, both during the primary and during the general.   And we should have been reminded of them by some of the speeches Obama has made since he was elected -  election night in Chicago, his inaugural address, his address to Congress on health care, his Nobel lecture, his Nobel toast.

So while I certainly will encourage participating by action, I will not denigrate participating by writing.

Peace.