View Diary: Obama: So Awesome He Can Alter Reality (122 comments)

•  Having something in your PLAN and having it (4+ / 0-)

be a major campaign initiative are 2 different things, but let's get 15 more of these diaries.

There are only 2 things in life I believe about religion: There could be a God and I'm sure as heck not him.

by Irixsh on Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 07:04:22 PM PST

•  I love it when we split hairs (14+ / 0-)

also the bending over backwards and contorting to rationalize more and more what has happened (or in even more cases not happened)these last 10 months---is,well, just grand to watch.

•  Oh, I'm sure they'd be just as... (3+ / 0-)
        neroden, GeeBee, AuroraDawn

... scrupulously fair-minded if we were discussing Joe Lieberman.

•  Splitting hairs, the new logic for the moronic (0+ / 0-)

here for using facts. Campaign plans and campaign pledges are 2 entirely different things, the fact you do not know that isn't my problem.

by Irixsh on Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 06:57:08 AM PST

•  They ARE different. (1+ / 0-)
          thethinveil

But the difference is also irrelevant.

Pledges and plans would both fall under the umbrella of saying you "campaigned on" something, in Common Sense World. Both would indicate, "This is what I'm about. This is what I will try to make happen, should I be elected."

Policy and plans, quite frankly, are even MORE specific than pledges.

A pledge is, "Free ponies for everyone named Fred!"

A plan is, "I will create an Office of Fred Pony Management. Everyone named Fred will have a year to register with OFPM. Ponies will be delivered by Pony Express, on the registered Fred's birthday. This plan will be paid for by a 10% tax on llama purchases by people named Larry."

So, yes. You're splitting hairs. Very fine ones, too.

Regards,
          Corporate Dog

-----
          We didn't elect Obama to be an expedient president. We elected him to be a great one. -- Eugene Robinson

by Corporate Dog on Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 07:17:14 AM PST

•  Of course, i hate to be factual here (0+ / 0-)

you know how i hate to do that, but even your example flat out misrepresents what even the most ardent basher has said. I agree, your example is splitting here's. What occured is not. "the Obama Biden plan will include a public option", "My Plan includes" etc. Notice, every single time he states his plan. Plans change every day. Anyone who hears someones plans to do something and expects it to go 100% or that person is dishonest doesn't reside on planet earth. You can spin that, do whatever you want with it, it doesn't change how the world works.

by Irixsh on Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 07:22:06 AM PST

•  So... when he was campaigning... (1+ / 0-)
              thethinveil

... he HAD the public option, he dropped it at some nebulous point, and then he picked it up again when he became President?

You expect voters to believe that? Good luck.

Regards,
              Corporate Dog

-----

by Corporate Dog on Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 07:26:02 AM PST

•  I'm not sure I get where you're going with that (0+ / 0-)

He campaigned on reforming health care. Part of his plan to accomplish health care included a public plan, he reiterated said public plan throughout the summer, the people who pass the laws per the constitution said sorry charlie, we don't fully agree with your plan and we will not be including a public option, he said OK. So yes, you can certainly accuse him of not fighting for the public option and have a debate, but claiming this is some big LIE is ridiculous. He campaigned on reforming health care and his personal ideas for the best way to do so, not on passing each individual idea. I mean really, it's not that difficult a distinction to understand.

by Irixsh on Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 07:30:10 AM PST

•  His campaign plan... (1+ / 0-)
                  thethinveil

... included the public option; a premordial version of it, but a public option all the same. It's all right here in my diary.

WaPo recently reported (and I quote):

"I didn't campaign on the public option," Obama said in the interview.

Do you believe that the plans and policy papers that your campaign publishes while you are a candidate, reflect what you are "campaigning on"?

If not, then what would the difference be between Obama and McCain on health care? They both pledged health care reform, after all.

None of this has anything to do with what happened once HCR hit Congress. That's a separate debate altogether.

Regards,