View Diary: Ever been through Tel Aviv's airport? (231 comments)

•  Indeed. (3+ / 0-)
    zannie, corvo, kyril

And if I'm a shopowner, I would always want to stop every black person as they're leaving and check their bags to make sure they didn't steal anything. Of course, I'd also perform a check of white shoppers as well, but we all know that's just a formality.

In the end, a black person will certainly get pissed off that they have to face such scrutiny, but in the end, I as the businessman don't lose any money, and that's a good trade-off.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

by unspeakable on Mon Dec 28, 2009 at 10:09:19 PM PST

•  point taken. (1+ / 0-)
      G2geek

But losing money is NOT the same thing as losing life and we all know that.

I am not discounting your bad experience, though.  Please share details if you'd like.

Consider adopting a homeless pet at PAWS.org (Progressive Animal Welfare Society)

by hikerbiker on Mon Dec 28, 2009 at 10:14:40 PM PST

•  Of course not. (5+ / 0-)
        zannie, corvo, sofia, kyril, hikerbiker

But stealing from a shopowner who depends on his business to provide for his family is no small thing. That can have disastrous, if not as immediate, consequences on people's lives.

I prefer to be consistent myself. If I'm going to be a proponent of racial profiling of Arabs, then I'm going to be a proponent of racial profiling of blacks. After all, it doesn't make sense that only some ethnic groups are prone to certain behaviors. All ethnic groups have their quirks. Arabs tend to be violent, while blacks tend to be thieves.

Does that make people uncomfortable? I hope it makes them squirm. Because on a liberal blog of all places, there should be no place for arguments advocating for racial profiling such as those coming from miriam and osd.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

by unspeakable on Mon Dec 28, 2009 at 10:25:33 PM PST

•  Holy shitake mushrooms! (2+ / 0-)
          Radiowalla, G2geek

"Arabs tend to be violent, while blacks tend to be thieves,"  I hope that was a bad joke.  I think it was snark.

Republicans want to take our country back; Democrats want to take it forward.

by DrJeremy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 at 10:49:55 PM PST

•  this is not snark (1+ / 0-)
            corvo

So if I'm a Palestinian on a plane, I certainly get pissed off that I have to face tougher scrutiny than the Jew sitting next to me... but then I'm able to land without being blown out of the sky.  And you've got to think that's a good trade-off.

on a liberal blog of all places, there should be no place for arguments advocating for racial profiling. its a hella lot cheaper to invest in education about racism and legislate equality for everyone than deal with the payback for violently oppressing 1/2 the population under your control. lifes a bitch and all that and  I as the businesswoman might loose some money (taxes are expensive) but that's a good trade-off.

•  Yes, it's snark. (0+ / 0-)

It was in response to osd and miriam and their upraters who've been justifying racial profiling in this diary. I just took their reasoning and applied it to black people. It's kind of funny how that makes you uncomfortable, but the other users' comments didn't elicit such a response from anyone.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

by unspeakable on Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 09:56:17 AM PST

•  Fair enough (1+ / 0-)
          hikerbiker

If you were to devise a profiling scheme, how would you do so? Or would you eschew all profiling for a different methodology?

Not only are there the discriminatory issues you allude to, but I have to imagine that it won't be too long before a terrorist cell wises up to the game and finds themselves a socially misfit, easily-coerced, and possibly developmentally delayed Caucasian to groom into another Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab and may be able to sidestep the heretofore successful screening used by El Al and others.

"[T]he same holds true for Israeli Press Secretary Red Sox and his Deputy Assistant Press Secretary, Oldskooldem." - Celtic Merlin (He's a Carlinist)

by Red Sox on Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 07:19:12 AM PST

•  er....like the shoebomber? (0+ / 0-)

Good questions.

Who has a better idea for airline security?

by hikerbiker on Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 08:15:35 AM PST

•  Well, Richard Reid (1+ / 0-)
              hikerbiker

was mixed-race. Not sure how--if at all--that would have affected the screening, but Lyndon LaRouche, for example, has long managed to lure in scores of impressionable people of all races for his "youth movement." I've met a number of them, due to a job I had in the neighborhood of their DC office. Many of them look like an average white kid from the suburbs. If they can be brainwashed into LaRouche's lunacy, then I can only imagine that some jihadists would have similar success.

by Red Sox on Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 08:44:38 AM PST

•  I don't know, (1+ / 0-)
            hikerbiker

but, whatever it is, I do not accept that my and other Arabs' experiences with Israeli security, which I described below, is the best method out there, as this diary and its upraters suggest. Humiliation does not ensure Israel's safety.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

by unspeakable on Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 09:58:55 AM PST