View Diary: What Do We Lose by Mirandizing Nigerian Who Sought to Blow Up Plane on Christmas Day? (40 comments)

•  They do get mirandized, (2+ / 0-)
    TarheelDem, otto

unless they're operating in concert w/ an organization against which the war powers have been activated via US law.  The cases are readily distinguishable.

Again, I agree w/ you as a matter of policy (agreeing w/ jsfox above about unnecessarily glorifying thugs as warriors), but we certainly can forego mirandizing al-qaeda operatives.

Mom, the mall is a way for the corporate fatcats to imprison you into a life of servitude. I've got some stuff you should read.

by burrow owl on Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 03:52:50 PM PST

•  I don't know the answer to this (2+ / 0-)
      burrow owl, lyvwyr101

We know he is Al Qaeda because...

"I'm going to take a dump and come back. If it hasn't been changed...I'll take it to mean that... it is meant to deliberately misinform Kossacks." Setrak

by otto on Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 03:56:07 PM PST

•  I got that via osmosis from the chattering (0+ / 0-)

classes, so it could be wrong.  I'm happy to put all the above in the subjunctive mood.

by burrow owl on Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 04:09:29 PM PST

•  I do think he is (1+ / 0-)
          lyvwyr101

That's not really the issue.

We can't rely on him, nor can we rely on Al Qaeda to give us accurate information about his status with the organization.

In my opinion, that negates the idea that it is his affiliation that is the reason to not give him Miranda rights.

by otto on Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 04:14:00 PM PST

•  These days (0+ / 0-)

the chattering classes are more gossip mongers then anything else.  In the absence of good information they'll start "supposing" stuff.. and then the next one treats the supposition as fact and adds a little more of their own for good measure.

The 24 hour news cycle is the worst thing that could possibly have happened to serious journalism.  Yes, it's even worse then FAUX acting as the conservative shill that it is.  They've almost gotten to the point that they have more talking heads yakkin it up, then actual reporters doing research and digging up leads.

"The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Elliot Trudeau

by Thassa on Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 07:55:13 PM PST

•  Because Mutallab said he was (1+ / 0-)
        otto

and AQ in the Arabian Peninsula acknowledged it.

"The lying time will be over." Senator Sheldon Whitehouse

by never forget 2000 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 08:29:06 PM PST

•  It's not that I doubt it (1+ / 0-)
          never forget 2000

It was in reference to the comment about it being no big deal to not mirandize a member of Al Qaeda.

We mirandize him because it's the right thing to do, but even if we weren't going to do it, we can't trust the statements of Al Qaeda and/or its alleged operatives to provide us accurate information about their membership.

That is enough reason to treat all suspects the same.

by otto on Thu Jan 07, 2010 at 07:49:32 AM PST

•  Are the war powers compatible (2+ / 0-)
      burrow owl, lyvwyr101

with a criminal trial, though?

It seems to me that a failure to properly Mirandize would at the very least present a major obstacle to bringing a case before a civilian court. At least, it seems to me that it should.

There are a couple of optical advantages. Reading of rights is symbolic of due process, and helps reinforce one of Obama's core messages he wishes to send overseas, that we are once again going to live our highest ideals; and it also helps define Abdulmuttalab as a "mere" criminal, declining to grant any appearance of "warrior" status.

In America, 60% of bankruptcies are because of medical bills, and 80% of those people had health insurance

by sullivanst on Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 04:10:31 PM PST

•  Obama (1+ / 0-)
        sullivanst

Regardless of whether they are his goals, it makes sense to do it, because they are our shared goals as a country.

My friend who is a total Deadhead and otherwise a fairly liberal person was up in arms the other night.  He was just talking about lining them up and shooting them.  I said, "Who?"  He said anyone that tries to bomb a plane, but I'm sure he had other people in mind.

I tried getting him to understand the idea that by martyring the man, you're just increasing his status.

by otto on Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 04:16:28 PM PST

•  The people who say "Eeek, Miranda" are (1+ / 0-)
      Shahryar

dealing with bad defense lawyers. When facing a life sentence in Super max crime, any defense lawyer worth his or her fee will be working on an information for a softer sentence deal as soon as he or she figures out what the defendant has that the prosecution wants. This is a no-brainer, and the joy of it is that when such deals are made, the information is also usable because properly obtained, in other proceedings. Assuming this numb noodle so sly that a) he had a bomb in his pants and b) he didn't know how to set it off ande c) he came back into the cabin where people could see instead of staying in the loo where they could not, with predictable results, has any information at all that the prosecution wants.