View Diary: FOX falls for "mini-ice age" hoax (153 comments)

•  And I thought... (6+ / 0-)

...we're supposed to be in mini ice age right now, but man-made global climate change stopped it in its tracks.

That's what I said to a right-wing relative who said, "Yeah, but in the 1970s, they said we were headed for an ice age."  I remember that study, and said, "We're supposed to be in an ice age right now..."

Change TX-32, Change the Nation. Send Democrat Grier Raggio to Congress.

by CoolOnion on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 07:04:09 AM PST

•  I hadn't heard that before... (2+ / 0-)
      CoolOnion, QuestionAuthority

that global warming stopped the projected ice age. I have heard right-wingers use that "back in the 70's" line to discredit science -- as if it proves nothing can ever be known so we might as well believe whatever we want to. But I got the impression that the ice age projected back in the 70's was not a natural thing but supposed to be caused by increased pollution -- and that was the connection to global warming.

I don't remember it personally because I wasn't around then.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains.

by gooners on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 07:10:40 AM PST

•  back in the 70s...the facts: (6+ / 0-)

Back in the 70s, there was a clear knowledge that particle pollution was causing 'global dimming', and CO2 pollution was causing 'global warming'. What wasn't known was which force would end up being stronger.

There were a grand total of about 3 guys that strongly advocated for the ice age side, and they got written up in popular media like Newsweek or Time. But in actual scientific circles, or real science journals, there was never a consensus about a coming ice age. Most scientists leaned towards the global warming side, but there wasn't enough evidence collected to settle the issue.

That evidence has since been collected, and we've also stopped putting nearly as much particulate pollution in the atmosphere.

•  China coal burning (2+ / 0-)
          CoolOnion, Calamity Jean

Somewhere there is a study that shows that without China's contribution of particulates from dirty coal the climate would be much warmer already. As China cleans up it's coal burning there will be less particulates and even more warming. The Chinese have to  clean up or they will kill too many people locally. They know it and are aggressively working on cleaner burning.

Greeetings! Bipedal carbon based life forms.

by pithaughn on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 07:31:14 AM PST

•  Fortunately, the Chinese are also (1+ / 0-)
            JeffW

getting into renewable energy in a big way, so we can hope their soot reduction will be offset by their CO2 reduction.

I thought that was a really hopeful development, that China has decided that wind & solar are the wave of the future, and the Chinese are determined to beat the West at them.

Renewable energy brings national security.

by Calamity Jean on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 03:34:12 PM PST

•  I remember hearing that too (2+ / 0-)
      unterhausen, CoolOnion

further back than the 70s - but that's about when they stopped mentioning it.

I think later in the 70s was when they started seeing the pattern of increased temps in a lot of places.

I know this winter has been much closer to the winters I remember as a kid. More snow, colder temps for longer periods.

•  We are in an ice age right now (1+ / 0-)
      CoolOnion

Its just that manmade global warming is counterbalancing its effects and then some.

When you look at the balance between natural and manmade climate change we have tipped things so far to the warm side that we are melting our polar ice caps in the middle of an iceage.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 08:47:22 AM PST

•  The only ice ages I notice day-to-day (1+ / 0-)
        CoolOnion

... are the blocks of ice which encapsulate the heads of GOP ideologues. Gotta keep that blood from flowing through the brain, dontcha know, because it might instigate a critical thought.

"Animals are my friends. And I don't eat my friends." -- George Bernard Shaw