View Diary: FOX falls for "mini-ice age" hoax (153 comments)

•  Thing is, this is not going to be resolved (0+ / 0-)

by each "side" beginning to shout louder--it only polarizes people and their beliefs become more entrenched.  We must think creatively for coming up with an effective intervention before disaster and catastrophe does it for us!

Find your own voice--the personal is political.

by In her own Voice on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 07:38:36 AM PST

•  The disaster will be... (2+ / 0-)
      madmsf, john07801

...the effective intervention.

The world won't get on board until something Very Bad happens.

I wish it wasn't that way.

•  I am afraid you are right -- sans good leadership (0+ / 0-)

which I thought we would be getting from our President.  It's just hard to make the changes politically and economically without making some really bold moves.  Our President, apparently has a more conservative way of approaching change.

So yes, "something Very Bad" may have to happen.  (I'd call Katrina "very bad", but that didn't get anybody's attention!)  Maybe many, consecutive "Bad" things!

Find your own voice--the personal is political.

by In her own Voice on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 08:21:43 AM PST

•  Bad things... (1+ / 0-)
        In her own Voice

...are already happening.

The intervention will come when bad things happen to the right people so that it then becomes a Crisis.

-5.38 -4.72 T. No public option? No mandate.

by trevzb on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 08:54:52 AM PST

•  Yes, it unfortunately may take a crisis... (1+ / 0-)
        In her own Voice

... to get people to act. You can tell people there's a pack of wolves coming, and they're just over the next hill, but they typically don't do anything until the wolves are at the door.

The problem with global warming, as I understand it, is that by the time things have gotten bad enough that people really notice the problem, it may be too late to reverse things. (Some say we're already at that point.)

"Animals are my friends. And I don't eat my friends." -- George Bernard Shaw

by Hudson on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 09:15:56 AM PST

•  Hokey "solutions" (1+ / 0-)
          In her own Voice

Another problem we face is that as the crisis becomes more palpable and evident, there will be more pressure to try one of the many hokey geoengineering "solutions" which crop up more and more in the media... I'm referring to grand-scale schemes like like dumping huge quantities of lime in the oceans to counter ocean acidification.

The main problem with such schemes is the law of unintended consequences... If you make some drastic change nature to counter other drastic changes in nature, it's going to come back to haunt you in some disastrous way.

"Animals are my friends. And I don't eat my friends." -- George Bernard Shaw

by Hudson on Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 09:18:44 AM PST

•  an economic engine could change the game (1+ / 0-)
      In her own Voice

Money talks, bullshit walks. What we need is American companies getting into green technologies and growing fast like Microsoft did in the 90's.

I wonder how many commericals on FOX go with a green angle, compared to other networks?

In a democracy, everyone is a politician. ~ Ehren Watada