View Diary: SCOTUS To Hear Case On Right To Know Anti-Gay Signers (198 comments)

•  I think I disagree with you. (7+ / 0-)

People are allowed to blog anonymously, for example. Having said that I don't see how it's fair for the people who signed that petition with no expectations that it'd be kept sealed - I don't think it's fair for those same people to be outraged that this is public information. They knew it when they signed.

"Everybody lies... except POLITICIANS? House, I do believe you are a romantic."

by indiemcemopants on Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 06:24:26 PM PST

•  asdf (10+ / 0-)

indie:

Blogging is not a state action. A petition to amend state law is a legal document

Apples and oranges.

I don't have "issues". I have a full subscription!

by GayIthacan on Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 06:26:14 PM PST

•  Well you asked (3+ / 0-)
        musing85, Clarknt67, ultraviolet uk

what first amendment right to privacy - I'm just saying that people are allowed to say things anonymously in private - even policy-related things.

Like I said though, the petition shouldn't fall under that definition  because there was no expectation that it WOULD be private. It was publicly passed around and discussed.

"Everybody lies... except POLITICIANS? House, I do believe you are a romantic."

by indiemcemopants on Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 06:30:15 PM PST

•  asdf (4+ / 0-)

Precisely.

Of course one can say things in private. But that isn;t the claim. :D

There is no ;right to privacy' in ANYTHING contained in the Constitution except the right to protection from unreasonable searches and seizures of ones person or papers. And even there - reasonable searches and seizures offset any claimed 'right'.

IN fact, the entire 'right to privacy' argument is what fueled the sodomy lows for decades - and permittted states to regulate sexual conduct in private bedrooms. The SCOTUS (until the recent decision) held that there WAS NO "right to privacy' - even in ones own home - that state interest passed through even the bedroom door.

I don't have "issues". I have a full subscription!

by GayIthacan on Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 06:34:31 PM PST

•  That's not technically true... (1+ / 0-)
            DCJackass

It's not just the implications of the fourth amendment. It's also the third amendment about not quartering troops in citizens' private homes, the fourth, the fifth protects you against incriminating yourself in a crime... those, along with the ninth and the fourteenth were used to overturn bans on birth control in married relationships, and later sodomy even between UNMARRIED people.

"Everybody lies... except POLITICIANS? House, I do believe you are a romantic."

by indiemcemopants on Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 08:02:38 PM PST

•  When you sign a petition (8+ / 0-)

You can usually see the signatures, names and addresses of the people who signed it before you. That does speak to the existing expectation of privacy. There does seem to be no effort made to safeguard privacy during the collection process.

•  And in fact people (5+ / 0-)

pass around petitions to friends with common interests, or people in their community with common interests. It's likely that people in a community would all be aware of the others who signed on. Back in 2004 my mom and her annoying friends were practically sharing their support of Bush for president like it was a membership in some club.

There's a good chance that people in certain communities are well aware and probably intensely proud of that petition and the fact that they and their friends signed it.

So I'm not buying that it shouldn't be public.

"Everybody lies... except POLITICIANS? House, I do believe you are a romantic."

by indiemcemopants on Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 08:21:13 PM PST

•  not to mention... (3+ / 0-)
              homogenius, indiemcemopants, sfbob

...passing petitions around at non-political meetings (pta, home owners association meetings, etc.)...the influence of public circulation can't be underestimated:

"well, marge signed the petition, aren't you gonna sign it, too???"

peer pressure: it's not just for kids.

"A time comes when silence is betrayal." ~ MLK, Jr...Where has CANDIDATE Obama gone?

by liberaldemdave on Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 09:11:01 PM PST