View Diary: RKBA: What would YOU do with YOUR gun? (w/Poll) (285 comments)

•  If the point was (2+ / 0-)
    kestrel9000, Predictor

to "instill fear" why not open carry?

Hair On Fire is the new black!

by arielle on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 06:44:52 AM PST

•  I explained it elsewhere actually. (6+ / 0-)

But I'd reiterate.

Open carry means the bad guys know you have a firearm.

They can just shoot you first.

Surprise is your friend.

Also, open carry would make hoplophobes' heads explode.

We need another Huey P. Long and federal funding for abortion. -9.00, -4.05

by KVoimakas on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 06:47:36 AM PST

•  And it's legal in most places... (4+ / 0-)

Open carry is technically legal in most states... but not in practice. Walking through the mall with a revolver on your hip, in many states, will get you a face-to-face meeting with the pavement, as the local police stand on the back of your neck. The reaction may be wrong, but it happens... and open carry is not worth the risk, IMHO.

There is a small "open carry" movement, whose members (with a much greater appetite for legal confrontations than I) carry, hoping to provoke a response. That's exactly the opposite of my reason for carrying, and why my guns will always be concealed.

"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed." -1995 Michael Moore documentary Canadian Bacon

by Tom Seaview on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 06:55:05 AM PST

•  Yes but (2+ / 0-)
        kestrel9000, Tom Seaview

he said the point of concealed carry was to instill fear.

That makes no sense unless one is paranoid and believes every person around them has a concealed weapon.

Hell, if I wanted to instill fear I'd carry a fucking Samurai sword.  And Sarah Palin's book.  Also.

Hair On Fire is the new black!

by arielle on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 07:03:59 AM PST

•  As a criminal, I would assume paranoia. (2+ / 0-)
          arielle, Tom Seaview

I do get what you're saying though. I'm an advocate of both actually and have open carried in town with no issues.

Granted, my town is about 5 thousand people.

I have a katana but I can't carry it. :-(

We need another Huey P. Long and federal funding for abortion. -9.00, -4.05

by KVoimakas on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 07:07:22 AM PST

•  I waffle somewhat on (2+ / 0-)
            KVoimakas, Tom Seaview

concealed carry because I know someone who has a permit who probably shouldn't.

But if he were barred by law from carrying concealed how would that stop him?  He'd still be carrying.

The huge advantages I see are, in my state at least, you have to take a class to get the permit and it's pretty thorough.

Another advantage is that, related to the question in the diary, people never have to know you are carrying or feel like they have to act differently around you since, by and large, you're not going to act any differently because you are carrying.

Hair On Fire is the new black!

by arielle on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 07:14:30 AM PST

•  We have to take a class here. (3+ / 0-)
              arielle, Aristodemus, Tom Seaview

I also go for more advanced training (LEO classes, etc) and am a certified firearm instructor.

My family and friends are used to me open carrying. It's surprising what people DON'T see when you enter a store. My open carry revolver hangs down to almost my knee.

No one notices. I've had TWO comments on it throughout the time I've been doing that.

We need another Huey P. Long and federal funding for abortion. -9.00, -4.05

by KVoimakas on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 07:17:54 AM PST

•  They could shoot first... (1+ / 0-)
        KVoimakas
        of course there is no record of this ever occuring so saying it is much like the "OMG WILD WEST if people can legally carry" to me.

It is pure sensationalism devoid of reality.

May some people react with shock?  Yes.  So do some people to seeing two guys hold hands.  Does that mean we should bad mouth either because they are shocking based on a belief that contradicts reality?

I find that carrying a firearm openly serves to inform individuals and open up conversation (which if handled correctly is never a negative).

•  I do open carry, but I don't do it on a regular (0+ / 0-)

basis. Personally, I'd rather not take the chance but then again, I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy (which is one of the reasons why I carry a BUG.)

We need another Huey P. Long and federal funding for abortion. -9.00, -4.05