View Diary: Jane Hamsher & the Big Jerk-Around (277 comments)

•  I was (1+ / 0-)
    retro

and "Once Again", I'm not complaining about them and spamming how tired "we" are of these diaries. I like them. I think they shed light on someone who doing tremendous damage to the Democratic Party. And since I'm a Democrat, I think that's important.

•  I don't see the difference. (7+ / 0-)

Your comment stated jj24 had been in 3 diaries. jj24 objects to these diaries.

You have been in the same 3 I guess, and you don't object to them.

I don't see why jj24 being in the same 3 diaries you've been in is an issue with you.

Move Your Money The truth is too big to fail. Justice is too big to fail. Peace is too big to fail.

by Burned on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 05:49:43 PM PST

•  now i'm just having fun... (2+ / 0-)
        willibro, TomP

the same way i'd have fun with a wingnut spewing homophobic paranoia.  ridiculing this is easy.

will you join me?

facebook pals - disclose! http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/1/14/14153/3569

by jj24 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 05:52:49 PM PST

•  Well (3+ / 0-)
          willibro, jj24, Nightprowlkitty

I don't much get off on the ridiculing part unless I'm pushed into it.
          but I'll stand beside you if you are treated unfairly.

by Burned on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 06:00:33 PM PST

•  LOL (0+ / 0-)

Now you are drawing analogies between me and homophobic wingnuts. Gotcha.

•  would you some nails with that cross? (2+ / 0-)
            willibro, TomP

way to hop on.

facebook pals - disclose! http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/1/14/14153/3569

by jj24 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 06:26:08 PM PST

•  jj ... (7+ / 0-)

... I fully understand your frustration.

These folks have lost and it's hard to see that amid their final digs.  There's just no credibility to this position any more.

That's why there's this final gasp of anti-Jane diaries that are, btw, going nowhere in the face of the reality of elections.

You can step down, sojer!  :-D

Seriously, just as you helped me realize it wasn't worth it, I'm trying in my own half-assed fashion to return the favor.

They're not worth it.  Their ideas are wrong and no one is buying them any more.  You're just watching the last gasp.

My 2 cents.

•  won't anyone have fun at their expense? (3+ / 0-)
                willibro, Nightprowlkitty, TomP

i know it's cheap thrills, but jeez!  i'm writing some good material over here, ain't i?

lol.

thx npk... you are probably right, but one thing - i'm not exactly taking them seriously.  that feels... better than i have been feeling.

and that one, everything i say, they try to misconstrue it into calling them a name.  it's just too ridiculous.

facebook pals - disclose! http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/1/14/14153/3569

by jj24 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 06:34:08 PM PST

•  Sort of ironic (1+ / 0-)
                Timaeus

I see Jane Hamsher in her "last gasps" using your words, in her political death throes. She's begun contradicting herself. She was rabidly opposed to the Bill, now she seems to say let it pass. Reality has struck her, and hard.

The Jane Hamsher's of the world come and go. The Democratic Party will survive her and those that cling to her in her own final political "last gasp".

•  I'm sure you do. (11+ / 0-)

But you and folks like you have tried to turn this site against her - in diary after diary, comment after comment, even to the point where a group of posters have considered plotting to game the rec list in order to destroy Jane's "nefarious influence" here.

It's diminishing returns now, fcvaguy ... the folks who have not turned against Jane not only will not turn against her now but every time this kind of bullshit gets posted it makes them actually more likely to support her even if they disagree with her political strategies.

This isn't about what happens to Jane.  It's about the battle here at Daily Kos where the anti-FDLers failed to win using the power politics of personal destruction.  The constant harrassment and even the idiotic namecalling, firebagger, etc., just didn't do it.

It didn't work ... and that is even more clear as the election approaches.

•  You've just summed up perfectly (1+ / 0-)
                    willibro

why this kind of battle is such a waste of time for everyone. Yes, people just dig their heels in, get more strident, and cling to some kind of fantasy that inflicting pain on the other side will help them win something. But nobody wins...ever.

Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it. - Mahatma Gandhi

by NLinStPaul on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 06:52:57 PM PST

•  Well ... (6+ / 0-)

... that's what you do, I'll agree.

Except you use all sorts of fake ethos to cover it up -- it does come through, though, no matter how hard you try to hide it.

You're happy being strident when you believe your side is winning.  It's only when you see your control is slipping that all of a sudden you're so concerned about "stridency" and comity.

Oh but I'm just part of the "authoritarian left," what do I know.

Gag.

Oh and btw, still stalking, I see.  Yeah, I know, just a coincidence and you're just expressing "disagreement."  Uh huh.

•  You seem to be implying (0+ / 0-)

that winning means having control...over who, or what?

by NLinStPaul on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 04:33:31 AM PST

•  You say: (2+ / 0-)
                          conchita, willibro

... this kind of battle is such a waste of time for everyone. Yes, people just dig their heels in, get more strident, and cling to some kind of fantasy that inflicting pain on the other side will help them win something

I am saying you would do well to look at your own behavior to see how you are contributing to this dynamic.

Look at your own ratings and see how often you hide rate folks.  Look at how often you suggest folks leave a diary because you have decided they aren't acting in an acceptable fashion.

You can successfully convince folks who don't know you that you're sincere in trying to change this dynamic.

Those who have experienced your endless tapdancing when folks don't allow you control of the conversation will not be as credulous.

Good luck in your mission, NL.

•  Do you have an answer (0+ / 0-)

to my question? Who/what does "winning" give you control over?

by NLinStPaul on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 08:02:03 AM PST

•  I'm not the one ... (2+ / 0-)
                            conchita, willibro

... into either winning or control.

To even think that I could explain to someone as authoritarian as you how I view politics is a futile endeavor.

You're the one who's talking about winning and making the claim that winning is a problem in the dynamics of our political discourse.

You should answer that question for yourself seeing as you're making the claim.  And you should take a look at your own behavior in feeding the very dynamic you claim to be against.

•  For the record... (1+ / 0-)
                            conchita

it was your original statement I was responding to. I agreed.

and

I just thought I'd take a stab at actual conversation since what you said so closely resembles something I just said yesterday.

I'm working as hard as I can on talking care of myself and the role I've played. I'm done battling you or anyone else on a personal level. I suspect that the political disagreements will continue, but agree with what you said, the personal destruction doesn't move anyone and from what I see, no one "wins."

by NLinStPaul on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 08:43:44 AM PST

•  They failed to win ... (3+ / 0-)
                            catnip, conchita, willibro

... the shutting down of FDL as a credible blog.

They failed to win kos removing FDL from the blogroll.

They failed to win permanently smearing the entire FDL website beause of disagreement on policy with one blogger at the website and they failed to win our FAQ listing FDL as a non-credible source so folks can hide rate or otherwise officially claim other posters have no credibility citing FDL.

That was what they wanted to win.  They wanted to control how folks viewed FDL -- not just Jane Hamsher but Emptywheel, Jon Walker, an entire community.

They lost that battle.  Even folks who can't stand Jane or FDL had no stomach for this particular political tactic.

You contributed to their side in that battle.  Not everyone was obviously "strident" but there was a group - now exposed - who coordinated attacks on FDL posters, coined terms such as "firebaggers," etc.  Those folks were joined by those who legitimately were disappointed with Jane and FDL, but the strident folks were much louder (something I have no problem with) and lied (something I have a big problem with).

What our side won -- at least for the moment, as things change so rapidly -- was the right to make up our own minds about what others write instead of someone else making up our minds for us by smearing character rather than talking about ideas and policy.

Please don't tell me you're done battling.  I saw your recent comment linking to DD as the root of all evil (figuratively speaking).  I'm an admin. there btw, and I agree 100% with what buhdy wrote in that essay about Cedwyn.

And as far as personal destruction not "moving anyone," that is not its purpose.  Very often that political tactic "wins" and afterwards indeed convinces folks to go against their own interest.  But the purpose is power.

•  P.S.: (3+ / 0-)
                            conchita, willibro, RiaD

What I am referring to is your characterization of buhdy:

Its clear to me that some people are obsessed with controlling this site. Of course, they don't - and it seems to drive them to idiocy. Playing into their game is not something I'm interested in doing. I happen to think there are much more important things to do with our time.

Unbelievable hypocrisy considering the rest of that thread.

•  Its clear that you have no (1+ / 0-)
                            Deoliver47

idea what I was saying in that comment...totally misconstrued. My point actually had very little to do with buhdy.

And all the stuff in your previous comment about taking down FDL...you may very well be accurate. Its not something I was ever interested and/or involved with. Watching the futility of the battle - on both sides - is actually where I'm learning something (and by the way, THAT was my point in the comment you just quoted).

by NLinStPaul on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 10:40:05 AM PST

•  asdf (2+ / 0-)
                            conchita, willibro

If you were referring to Cedwyn, then I did misconstrue it.

As far as the FDL battle, you contributed a great deal to that, as well as the centrist/left divide.

Go look at your comment to mahakali overdrive, the one where you're "musing" about the "authoritarian left."  That led directly to one of the most divisive memes in her GBCW.

That is only one example.

Doesn't matter what your intention was.  Your lack of awareness fed that battle.

Some battles are worth fighting.  Others are not.  You seem to have a great deal of difficulty making that differentiation.

•  And you also have (0+ / 0-)

no idea who/what I was referring to in my comment about the "authoritarian left." It wasn't even a response to MO.

So I have to wonder who's intention/awareness is involved here.

by NLinStPaul on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 10:55:13 AM PST

•  Get a clue. (2+ / 0-)
                            conchita, willibro

I said you had no awareness of what you were doing.  I'm no mind reader as to intention and that's not the point.

Mahakali responded to your comment and said how interesting that was, should be explored.

The very next day she used it as a meme against the left.

You won't get it, I know.  But then you need to control at all costs.

Really, NL, you can just go to hell.

•  What is it (2+ / 0-)
                            conchita, kj in missouri

I'm supposed to "get." That its now my responsibility to manage how other people use my words? Really? And so I suppose that I'm also responsible for how everyone uses that term?

I've made my intention about all of this as clear as possible from my first comment...I'm not condoning the battle/tactics of either side. I'm saying its a game that's easy to get sucked into and nobody wins.

by NLinStPaul on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 11:21:45 AM PST

•  poking in to say "hi." :-) (1+ / 0-)
                            NLinStPaul

(figuratively poking, of course)  @;-)

i want to remind you that back in a day (not the day, a day, sadly) a huge, huge part of why i logged back in to surf the tubes were because comments- and diaries- written by you, NL, were well worth my time to explore.

"call and response"
                             remember when we used that term to describe the movement anchored and forwarded?

and, because you haven't cared that i search for your name to find interesting diaries written by people equally interesting, intelligent, logical and compassionate, i've discovered writers here at dKos that i hope to read for years.

so, you know, in the middle of this, remember:  words matter- actions matter; and you do good with both.   :-)

"From single strands of light we build our webs." ~kj

by kj in missouri on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 05:19:59 PM PST

•  I'd just like to add (0+ / 0-)

that this afternoon I had a minute to re-read this conversation. When I look at the overall message, its interesting to me that you seemed so intent on making the conversation personal - all about me and my faults.

The truth is, I could have done the same thing back and this conversation would have mirrored the battle we're talking about.

Do you really want to end the battle of personal destruction NPK? You give mixed messages because you seem to indicate that the "other side" should stop, but you're perfectly fine with continuing.

I'm saying its not a battle I'm interested in spending any time waging. There are other more important things to do. Staying stuck in this one is what feels like hell to me.

by NLinStPaul on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 02:12:29 PM PST

•  P.S.: (2+ / 0-)
                            conchita, RiaD

I looked at the continuation of that thread, the characterizaton of "docudummies" that you accepted as true along with the characterization of the site.

Sorry, I just don't believe you.

I'm done with you, NL ... going back to ignoring.

•  Meteor Blades (1+ / 0-)
                        kj in missouri

This comment appears to violate the rule on accusations of stalking:

Stalking is defined as having 3 requirements:

(1) On multiple occasions, one or more commenters follow a community member into diary threads; and,

(2) The commenter(s) engage in the conduct of posting comments that are comprised of false information, personal attacks, lies, rumors, or implied/express disclosure of private information; and

(3) The commenter(s) engages in this conduct with the intent to harass, harm, humiliate, frighten or intimidate another poster. This intent may be inferred from the number of times that the commenter follows a community member on the boards and/or the nature of the comments posted.

Stalking does not include the mere expression of disagreement, seeking out diaries or comments of favorite diarists or simply frequent interaction on the boards [emphasis added].

Before calling someone a stalker or tossing HRs at a person you think is a stalker, community members should post a comment explaining what conduct and/or statements constitutes the stalking with a link to relevant evidence so that admins and the community have a record to review.

Posters should not recommend a comment calling someone a stalker or HR'd for stalking simply because of friendships but should review the evidence provided in the comment to reach their own independent conclusions.

A ruling would be appreciated, as I recall this poster making numerous accusations of stalking against NLinStPaul and I would really prefer to not see a return to that.

FDL = The Teabagger wing of the Democratic Party

by indubitably on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 04:54:11 AM PST

•  that explains so much!!! (0+ / 0-)

Oh but I'm just part of the "authoritarian left," what do I know.

thanks for clearing that up, NPK.  '-)

"From single strands of light we build our webs." ~kj

by kj in missouri on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 05:27:41 PM PST

•  VIctimhood for Jane doesn't work (1+ / 0-)
                    Timaeus

and you shouldn't peddle that for her.

She was her own worst enemy. She is responsible for her behavior and what comes out of her mouth.

To me, this is so reminiscent of the PUMAs, its uncanny. Nobody turned against Alegre. She imploded. Same with Jane.

•  fcvaguy ... (7+ / 0-)

... read my comment again.

This isn't about Jane at all.  Jane can take care of herself and is by no means a victim.

This is about the community at Daily Kos rejecting your kind of ad hom attacks on FDL, the actual kind of power politics that were used.  Folks eventually catch on, and they didn't like what they saw.  And more folks are catching on now that the election is imminent.

It's already happened.

But by all means, don't take my word for it.  See how much traction you keep getting with this nonsense.  No skin off my nose.

•  Do you want to back up your accusations? (2+ / 0-)
                        Aexia, Timaeus

about ad hom attacks on FDL from me?

My beef is with Jane Hamsher and her reckless and destructive behavior and those that choose to defend her and give her a pass.

And, if you think this blog has rejected those that are critical of Jane and have embraced her, we aren't reading the same blog.

•  PS (1+ / 0-)
                    Timaeus

I don't do namecalling. I'd challenge you to find a comment where I've done that. That is reserved for friends which you've been rec'cing like jj24. Its more than a bit hypocritical for you to whine about namecalling when you've been rec'cing your friend jj24 all night.

You have a good night.

If Martha loses tomorrow, my hunch is it will be a miserable day for many, and much, much recrimination.

•  I didn't only mention ... (4+ / 0-)
                      TheMomCat, willibro, jj24, TomP

... name calling.

Though come to think of it, you're name calling in your own comment about name callng.

You have a good night, too.

•  So because (0+ / 0-)

you mentioned other things other than namecalling, your namecalling accusation should get a pass? Again, you've been rec'cing someone all night who has been doing exactly what you're railing against. Do some introspection.

•  Oy (7+ / 0-)

If you choose to blame anyone other than the people that voted in Massachusetts tomorrow for Coakley's loss you are beyond silly. They are not empty vessels that jj24 or anyone else here or at FDL filled with Jane juice.

And stop using whining as an axe.
                      That blade is dull and stupid.

by Burned on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 07:18:50 PM PST

•  OY (0+ / 0-)

I was not blaming anyone. I was predicting that tomorrow would be a miserable day for many as it is if she loses, without people feeling miserable for Jane Hamsher.

So, stop your deliberate projection. Earlier, you tried attacking me for implied hypocrisy and failed, and now this. If you're going to defend Jane Hamsher, do it honestly, without projection, and without personal attack.

But, since you brought it up, I will say that Jane Hamsher will deserve some credit for the loss, if Martha loses and I'm sure there will be diaries making very strong cases for it. Just my hunch.

•  Yeah (4+ / 0-)
                          TheMomCat, willibro, jj24, Nightprowlkitty

I get the sense you're looking forward to it.
                          Good night.

by Burned on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 07:40:07 PM PST

•  And there you go... (0+ / 0-)

Nightprowlkitty, the one who's been whining about namecalling and has been rec'cing a namecaller all night, has just tossed you a bone for a your big fail in this diary.

Sleep well.

•  i didn't call you ANY names, fcvaguy - (2+ / 0-)
                            willibro, TomP

as hard as you have been trying to provoke me.  you tried to take my statements and make them namecalling... but really, you sound like a child complaining to mom.  poor thing.

you have littered this diary and the other one with your careless invective, for what?  get this straight:

THIS IS A POLITICAL SITE.  that means i, a nonpolitical person, am not a topic for discussion here.  this isn't facebook, and it's not your own personal drama series - so get over yourself.

facebook pals - disclose! http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/1/14/14153/3569

by jj24 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 01:09:08 AM PST

•  You're projecting (0+ / 0-)

Your behavior in this diary has been abominable. The record of your comments speaks for itself. You resort to personal attack, you indeed have been namecalling and making reprehensible analogies. It screams loud that you've been way too involved in these diaries for way too long. If you are not indeed the person you're portraying yourself as in this diary, then perhaps you need to take a big step back and do some introspection.

•  i refuse to take this group's paranoia seriously- (0+ / 0-)

my behavior in this diary reflects that idea.

whether or not it is "abominable" to you is - again - not a political opinion.  your opinion of me is irrelevant.

since i put no value in your judgments, you can plainly see why you're wasting your time to explain to me how my behavior is any of your business or appropriate for your to comment on.

your attempts to provoke me into some sort of reportable behavior have been a miserable failure... perhaps you should concentrate on baiting someone else today.

facebook pals - disclose! http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/1/14/14153/3569

by jj24 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 08:19:24 AM PST

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

how my behavior is any of your business

When your bad behavior is directed at me, it is my business. And, as a Kossack, when I see your bad behavior inappropriately directed at others, I'll make it my business. I've been here a very long time, and I sort of like this place and don't take too kindly to those that abuse it.

•  How long you've been here is also irrelevant (1+ / 0-)
                            Nightprowlkitty

Last I looked fcvaguy isn't a DKos admin. You can claim "abuse" all you want, but that's just low-grade brainfart unless and until you can demonstrate that me, jj24 , or any of the other people who have disagreed with you on this thread have committed some HRable or bannable offense. If you think that has happened, you get busy and present it to site admin, like Meteor Blades, and we'll see what the actual site cops have to say. If you can't, then by me you're just another bully in clown shoes trying to intimidate his opponents into shutting up.

I don't intimidate worth a fuck, pal. Put up or can it.

Pssst, did you hear? Colorado is the Shiznit ain't stable. Pass it on. -- Leanne, 1/11/10

by willibro on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 12:26:51 PM PST

•  What the hell are you ranting about? (0+ / 0-)

Nowhere have I said anything about HR'able or bannable offenses. NOWHERE. Perhaps you've had a high-grade "brainfart" using your own more than juvenile vocabulary.

I don't intimidate worth a fuck, pal.

Your paranoia filled rant says otherwise! And, I don't think you or I would ever be pals. So, you cn the condascension.

Put up or can it.

I don't take orders from the likes of you. Never have. Never will. Cyber-bullying is a child's game.

•  Nightprowlkitty, (1+ / 0-)
                    fcvaguy

that's a fantastically distorted and biased description of this battle. So I don't think you're a reliable commenter on any of this.

•  Nightprowlkitty, I've usually agreed (1+ / 0-)
                Nightprowlkitty

with you, but not on THAT.

•  NPK, my dear, you are forgetting (3+ / 0-)
                catnip, Nightprowlkitty, TomP

that when Dems start losing, it will be our fault...not Dem strategy, not Dem tactics, not Dem weakness on issues, not Dem failures to lead while being obsessed with personalities. None of the actual causes will be the attributed causes. It will be disloyal Naderite faux-Dems like us. :-)

by willibro on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:31:50 AM PST

•  Yes, once they were exposed, (4+ / 0-)

they lost.  People know what they are.

Now they are trying to ratchet up the hate.

They fixate on a blogger while the rest of us work to elect Coakley.

Immature losers is what most of them are.

Waste of time in this diary.

Let's get Coakley elected and let these losers paly out their fantasies of self importance.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

by TomP on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 07:19:35 AM PST

•  Let me help you (2+ / 0-)
        Aexia, Timaeus

jj24 is whining that this is yet another Jane Hamsher diary. jj24 has slammed every one of them. In fact, in this diary, jj24's first comment pretends to speak for everyone in claiming these diaries aren't wanted.

I like the diary. I don't think there are too many of them. I think it is getting the attention it deserves. So, I am in the diaries.

jj24 being in the diaries isn't at all an issue for me. But jj24 claiming jj24 is tired of the diaries but then contributing dozens of comments in them seems a bit contradictory to me, if not hypocritical.

•  Feel free to jump in (0+ / 0-)

You've failed once already in trying to imply I was being hypocritical for participating in these diaries.

And, if jj24 were being treated unfairly, I would be spewing invectives at him/her as she has done. Wouldn't that be fair?

You should pick another battle.

•  Sorry (2+ / 0-)
          willibro, Nightprowlkitty

Didn't see these comments.

It's time to go to bed now though. Big day tomorrow and a busy week ahead.

I don't recall saying you were being hypocritical, I asked why it was an issue, which you have explained. So I can't really answer your comment about me implying hypocrisy.

However, I do think you are being very silly putting so much weight and attention on Jane and jj24 when some of our own elected reps are screwing us over.
          I'd like you guys to focus more on that.

by Burned on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 07:37:51 PM PST

•  And seriously (4+ / 0-)
      willibro, jj24, Nightprowlkitty, JVolvo

Tremendous damage?
      Hah.
      There are some real live congresspeople making real live decisions that affect you and me that are doing much more damage to the democratic party than Jane.
      How about going after them with the same vigor?

by Burned on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 05:52:35 PM PST

•  Yes, tremendous damage (1+ / 0-)
        Timaeus

Seriously.

Thats my opinion.

I don't disagree that there are some Democratic Congressmen doing damage also. Stupak comes to mind. But, I will not ignore the damage Jane Hamsher has done and continues to do because some progressives feel she should be given a pass.

•  I see (1+ / 0-)
          TomP

No Nelsons? No Landrieus? Baucus ring a bell? They're hunky dory, good progressive dems?

by willibro on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:58:22 AM PST

•  Do you see the dishonesty in that comment? (0+ / 0-)

Simply because I mentioned only one example, you project on me that I think Nelson and Landrieu are progressives?

Is this the argument and debate tactics that you've regressed to?

Not all Democrats are progressives. In fact, my hunch is the majority are not. Nevertheless, they are Democrats. And, this site's main mission is to elect Democrats. That message seems to fall by the wayside way too often here.

Perhaps those that don't like that mission, should go start their own blog - the DailyProgressive. It might be quite good and I would probably een read it myself.

•  No, actually, I don't (0+ / 0-)

I don't see it as dishonest in the slightest to wonder why it is that, in your mind at least, Jane Hamsher is so much more magically important in terms of doing damage to the Democratic party than, say, any three Democratic idiots I could name who are actually in office.

But hey, that's just me....

by willibro on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 11:52:02 AM PST