View Diary: Obama's Bud Lite Budget Freeze (43 comments)

•  It's like the most important thing is for Obama (1+ / 0-)
    soms

to constantly demonstrate that he "owned" by the left.  Basically, if doesn't take the knee jerk position of the left, he's a sellout.

"He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind."

by lordcopper on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:18:23 PM PST

•  This isn't just failing to take the position (1+ / 0-)
      TracieLynn

of the left. This is ceding an entire argument to the right, so that now the only thing up for discussion is how much we should cut back expenditures during a recession.

FAIL.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:24:11 PM PST

•  Politics or policy? (3+ / 0-)
        flatford39, lordcopper, soms

Emma- Read the piece on deficits. They do matter. Obama has always said that but he had to spend for the recovery. The wrong track is to have Dems=spending and GOP=cut spending.

by NancyASkinner on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:28:55 PM PST

•  Deficits matter in the long term. (1+ / 0-)
          greengemini

But in a recession, deficit spending is a good thing. And he's not talking about trimming waste in order to spend more effectively; he's talking about fiscal discipline for its own sake. Which is just wrong.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:30:20 PM PST

•  and deficit spending will still happen . (1+ / 0-)
            greengemini

But this is sort of an empty headfake meant for the independents and we'll have to see if they buy that.

Impeach Obama- some dkos clown (Jan 05, 2010)

by soms on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:32:04 PM PST

•  Am I really the only one here (2+ / 0-)
              TracieLynn, greengemini

who finds it extremely disconcerting that our only hope is that our President is engaging in pure theater? Isn't that the sort of thing that gets you called a conspiracy theorist? I mean, when it was the public option that he was alleged to be disingenuous about, that was sacrilege.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:34:28 PM PST

•  It's not hope.It's actual money spent vs money (0+ / 0-)

saved on earmarks/subsidies or in plain words numbers

Impeach Obama- some dkos clown (Jan 05, 2010)

by soms on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:37:03 PM PST

•  No, what I mean is that (1+ / 0-)
                  TracieLynn

we're hoping that Obama is positioning himself as a budget hawk utterly disingenuously. I mean, a “spending freeze” affecting less than 1% of the budget? WTF?

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:38:12 PM PST

•  he wants to please everybody (0+ / 0-)

what to do...what to do ...
                    Had he not used the word-'freeze' and done the same things, the blogosphere would have lauded him. Being human is reactionary these days.

Impeach Obama- some dkos clown (Jan 05, 2010)

by soms on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:40:36 PM PST

•  What the President says matters. n/t (0+ / 0-)

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:43:03 PM PST

•  And yet they say over here that words (0+ / 0-)

are not important and actions are.

Impeach Obama- some dkos clown (Jan 05, 2010)

by soms on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:44:04 PM PST

•  If the actions are empty, (1+ / 0-)
                          TracieLynn

there's only the words. And this is an empty gesture of fiscal discipline. So all we're left with is that he's moving the Overton window toward the idea that cutting the deficit is a good idea during a recession. Fuck that shit.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:48:30 PM PST

•  and now that's hyperbole. (0+ / 0-)

HCR and financial reform bill and congressional complacency sucked up all oxygen. He is partially to blame . But there's a lot of them that deserve it more.

Impeach Obama- some dkos clown (Jan 05, 2010)

by soms on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:51:05 PM PST

•  He's to blame for this faceplant right here. (0+ / 0-)

Empty actions in service of a right-wing philosophy are pretty damn destructive, since they endorse the right-wing philosophy. Hasn't our discourse shifted enough to the right in the last, oh, three decades?

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:53:45 PM PST

•  Theatre? Come On for No Drama Obama? (1+ / 0-)
                soms

Trust me on this. I ran against him and got to know him personally. Barack Obama would NEVER be that guy. That crass "do anything to win" politician. My evidence? He said the war in Iraq was a stupid war when the public was 70% in support of it. He's doing the right thing - no matter who - is aiming at him.

by NancyASkinner on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 07:01:26 PM PST

•  I disagree. Obama has been routinely attacked (1+ / 0-)
        soms

over issues of purity.  He threw a rhetorical bone to independents, so what?  Surprise, the President is courting other voter demographics in his attempts to put together a majority.

"He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind."

by lordcopper on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:30:11 PM PST

•  This isn't a matter of purity. (1+ / 0-)
          TracieLynn

This is a matter of embracing radically bad fiscal policy, in his rhetoric even if not in his policy proposals.

And he's not going to get anything from this. Independents don't want rhetoric, they want jobs.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:32:49 PM PST

•  You don't have enough information to know the (0+ / 0-)

effect this freeze will have on fiscal policy.  He could very well cut some parts of the budget and increase others.

Re: Independents wanting jobs

The POTUS has very little ability to increase employment.

"He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind."

by lordcopper on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:37:38 PM PST

•  Only in the sense that (0+ / 0-)

he can't get laws passed all by himself. But government spending (yes, all government spending) has a strong ability to increase employment; in fact, sometimes it's the only thing that has that ability.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:39:28 PM PST

•  That's why Dems can't hold power (1+ / 0-)
          lordcopper

People like Jyrinx attack their own the minute they fall off what they perceive as the play book. The right wing "fiscal conservatives" shut their mouths and let Bush double the debt for the sake of their party unity. So the public didn't even notice until the whole house of cards came tumbling down. Not that I am saying we should do this but I am amazed at the lack of cohesion at the slighest disagreement.

by NancyASkinner on Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 07:09:51 PM PST