View Diary: What Democratic leadership failure looks like (337 comments)

•  it was closer to 20 years ago. around the time (9+ / 0-)

arianna huffington was helping out in her husband's senatorial bid as a conservative Republican. Now they're divorced, he's a gay non-partisan libertarian and she's practically a socialist. People change. If the circa-1991 Obama were running the party and the country, we might not be in this fix. Yet here we are.

Years from now, the children of DLC-ers will sit around campfires telling stories about what happened to Martha Coakley in 2010.

by output on Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 10:16:06 AM PST

•  Good point. (6+ / 0-)

I need to see more of the "hippy."

And so do the people of America.

Send your old shoes to the new George W. Bush library.

by maxschell on Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 10:26:19 AM PST

•  the thing is, i don't think he ever was a hippie. (4+ / 0-)
        maxschell, 3goldens, Uberbah, cybrestrike

i think that people imputed left-wing ideology to him simply because of his racial background. aside from his brief stint as a community organizer (which, by the way, yielded time and material for two books) nothing in his background or voting record - and please note that I am deliberately disregarding any contrary campaign rhetoric - makes me think that he's anything but a multicultural technocrat at best; neo-liberal at worst.

by output on Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 10:32:49 AM PST

•  I myself feared he was neo-con/neo-lib (2+ / 0-)
          Uberbah, output

Because he spent time teaching in the Straussian cauldron at University of Chicago, home to the middle-class destroying policies of the law and economics movement.

So far, my fears are being confirmed, not quieted.

Send your old shoes to the new George W. Bush library.

by maxschell on Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 10:44:41 AM PST

•  Lets see (0+ / 0-)

Born in 1960 Black dad white mom, i'd say a 1960 interacial couple was plenty hippie.  Went to indonesia where he was exposed to other cultures not brought up in american materialism not poisoned with american racism.  I like the hippie index there.  Went to hawaii lived with other colored grandma went to private school graduated went to oxy for awhile (I dont even think that school had grades at the time) transfers to Columbia graduates moves to chicago to work with poor.  Does that for 4 years goes back to law school graduates to work with poor.  Runs for state office where he works for the poor, hmmm sounds mighty hippie to me, but then again I was just raised in a commune basically myself so what would I know.

My leader is Barack Hussein Obama the finest President this country has ever elected.

by Adept2u on Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 11:01:52 AM PST

•  you lost me when you cited his *birth* (1+ / 0-)
            Uberbah

as evidence of his current hippiedom. somehow i suspect that you're not exactly objective on this subject. BTW, you forgot about the clerkship at the white-shoes law firm where he met Michelle, and also his time as (among other things) a commercial litigator; not to mention the work at UChicago.

by output on Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 11:15:37 AM PST

•  His grandmother in Hawaii (1+ / 0-)
            Uberbah

was not "colored" so far as I know, given that everyone seems to agree that his mother (her daughter) was white.

•  Ha i missed that (0+ / 0-)

I meant the other colored.  See in my mind it takes a hippy attitude to raise your black grandkid with as much love and attention as that woman did when she did.  I don't think its a mistake to think that it is within the thought of hippie to love a child regardless of what it looks like, but i did leave off the the i did mean to say his grandmother was not the color of Obama.

by Adept2u on Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 12:06:32 PM PST

•  Oh, I get you (3+ / 0-)
                denise b, Uberbah, output

"other colored" as in not the color of Obama.

Anyways, I agree with you that Obama has a very "hippy-ish" background, but I will also say that I personally have known more than a few people with backgrounds who became much more conservative depending on their situations. I've know people who were downright radical up until the moment they got a little bit of power, and then it changed completely. Bottom line is that I don't think you can put too much stock into personalities. The material circumstances and power relationships in which they exist end up being more influential.

•  Ward Connerly and Shelby Steele (1+ / 0-)
                  Uberbah

are both biracial, and were both raised by white parents. See where it got them?

by output on Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 01:06:58 PM PST