View Diary: Jennifer Brunner + Senate = Yay! (277 comments)

•  Great idea (3+ / 0-)
    JanL, Onomastic, Olivetrue

Also, I think bashing Portman will be easy. I'm not all about the bashing, but it's a necessary evil.

Possibly:

- Portman was born with a silver spoon to fat cat parents in Cincinnati.

- He Graduated from Dartmouth College, considered to be one of the most racist colleges in the US

- He is a George Bush republican

...etc, etc.

"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"

by danktle on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 09:31:43 AM PST

•  Y'know ... (12+ / 0-)

... Portman's not responsible for where he was born, or for incidents at his college which didn't even take place when he was there.  There's plenty that he, himself is responsible for that's worth attacking.

•  True, true... (1+ / 0-)
        JanL

But if you're gonna run an effective smear campaign, you gotta go low. Not the most scrupulous of things to do, but you know it's coming. Nobody likes smears, but it can change the direction of the race if you're willing to go there - you simply can't argue that. And rest assured, they'll do it to her. I didn't get all my points right, I'm just brainstorming. I have to admit having a genuine distaste for Rob Portman. There are things he can't help, but there are many other things that he can and has actively made the political decision not to. Feel me? But you're right, there's plenty to go on - his voting record, his former boss (most notably his position with said former boss) and so on.

Sorry if I've offended you - perhaps you were born in Cincy? Not that I would ever have anything against that - I have family there. The "where he was born" isn't important, as you suggested, but I'm trying to paint the picture that Portman is out of touch with average Ohioans.

Anyway my whole point here is that if you're not prepared (and that being the operative word here) to throw some dirt at your opposition, you aren't ready for politics. It was just a comment, think nothing of it, and I agree with you - let's stay positive, roll up the sleeves and "get 'er done!"

"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"

by danktle on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 10:03:36 AM PST

•  Oh, I don't believe in staying positive. (11+ / 0-)

I just believe in focusing on the things which the candidate could affect.

•  Right, (4+ / 0-)
            Adam B, Cedwyn, JanL, Onomastic

and I think painting the other candidate as out of touch, or misguided (both of which I believe to be completely true about Rob Portman) is a possible and available road to afflicting the outcome. That's all I'm saying. Anyway, glad to know I didn't completely piss you off :)

"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"

by danktle on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 10:10:41 AM PST

•  well... (2+ / 0-)
              danktle, mos1133

I guess if you want to go negative about his choice of college, complaining that he went to an Ivy would work better than complaining that he went to a racist college. I wouldn't expect either one to work.

Or, heck, if you really want to go low with a smear campaign, why not just make something up? This whole Dartmouth thing is near beer.

But seriously, I think Brunner is best off with attacks that she actually believes. That certainly doesn't preclude painting Portman as out of touch or misguided. But to emulate Sarah Palin would not play to her strengths.

•  Portman has one huge liability for Ohio: (5+ / 0-)

he's a free trader. No one in Ohio cares about his parents or his college, but they DO care that he sees no problem with sending hundreds of thousands of Ohio jobs overseas. This isse won't the election for Sherrod Brown in 2006, despite HIM having a big funding deficit — and running against an incumbent. The main thing people in Ohio, with its depression economy, care about is their jobs.

Why Lee Fisher would be a hopeless candidate: when he and Gov. Strickland were elected in 2008, Strickland made him director of development — in other words, put him in charge of job creation. For two years, Ohio continued to bleed jobs, through no fault of theirs. Bush, y'know. Then Obama was sworn in. Then Lee quit to spend his full time fundraising for his Senate campaign (another reason his money pile is bigger: Jennifer has a day job she was elected to and she's still doing it).

Quitting makes him virtually unable to attack Portman for having worked with Bush to outsource jobs (which he did). Portman will just say, "Stop blaming Bush because you quit right after Obama was sworn in so you obviously didn't think he – and you — could turn things around."

A cuple of weeks ago - after a full year of not explaining how he'd respond to this criticism — Fisher ame up with an answer, and it was embarassing. It was cribbed from Sarah Palin's resignation speech and made no more sense than that, all about being able to do more being free of official office.

Stop Rob "The Job Outsourcer" Portman. Jennifer Brunner for Senate http://www.jenniferbrunner.com/

by anastasia p on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 02:43:02 PM PST

•  why aren't all of the democrats using that.... (7+ / 0-)

He's a George Bush Republican.

that is just frickin priceless.

Republicans===the party of the 1% rich people in America. Or in other words..The Party of NO!

by jalapeno on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 10:16:25 AM PST

•  Explaining my opinion (2+ / 0-)
      JanL, dsc11

Sorry to beat what is clearly a dead horse, but here is why I would ever get the notion that Conservatives from Dartmouth are a bad breed. From the article:

The Review gained national attention and notoriety early on for positions on social issues regarded as politically incorrect which its critics see as examples of racism, sexism, and intolerance.

Follow the link for examples. The bunch that formed the Dartmouth Review did so in 1980, and Portman graduated from there in '79. Ergo, this is the kind of conservatism being practiced at Dartmouth in the era that Portman was attending.

"Considered to be" should immediately imply that this is an opinion, and it happens to be one that many others share.

"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"

by danktle on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 11:16:44 AM PST

•  Interesting. I'd never heard that (1+ / 0-)
      earicicle

and ironically enough, my only impressions of Dartmouth were formed by my close friend who's a grad, and I've met many of his classmates over the years, who he's still close with. He's been president of the Black Students of Dartmouth group, lol.

He never mentioned it. But, he wouldn't. It's not like him to say something like that.

•  asdf... (3+ / 0-)
        Adam B, RandomNonviolence, Olivetrue

As a grad of another Ivy League school, and someone who now lives not far away from Dartmouth, I've also NEVER heard of it referred to as "one of the most racist colleges in the US."

One of the best party schools...now THAT I've heard.

"Women shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of women." droogie6655321

by earicicle on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 01:53:41 PM PST

•  Check the wiki link I posted... (0+ / 0-)

I fouled out because I was brainstorming stupid shit to levy aginst Porter. I later checked into it and explain in the post directly above.

"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"

by danktle on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 02:24:58 PM PST

•  From THAT link you get "one of the most racist (1+ / 0-)
            RandomNonviolence

colleges?" In the early-mid 80s, almost every Ivy had a small group of conservative students--remember who was president of the country at the time? [Hint: initials are RR.] David Frum was at my school, and he and some of his cronies also founded a conservative publication. They were not in the mainstream either, and certainly NOT representative of the student body as a whole. Believe me: it was a very open and accepting environment, racially and GLBT-wise. We kinda felt sorry for the conserva-geeks.

by earicicle on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 02:38:12 PM PST

•  The best rap against Portman (8+ / 0-)

is that he doesn't think it's a problem to send jobs overseas. He thinks we just need to cut spending and taxes — and jobs will miraculously appear. We tried that in Ohio — didn't work.

by anastasia p on Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 02:36:41 PM PST