View Diary: They don't want us to know. Silencing voices for Human Rights (140 comments)

•  of course (3+ / 0-)
    kalmoth, Bouwerie Boy, sofia

he did. But he just couldn't control himself at the prospect of calling Israel a fascist state . . . and he got to drag in Nazis, too!

What a happy night it must be, in the Tom J home.

•  Well, the least.. (6+ / 0-)

..he could do is quote Levy properly.  That really annoyed me when I discovered it.

"But remember, this power of the people on top depends on the obedience of the people below." -- Howard Zinn

by sofia on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 01:36:20 AM PST

•  Seems to me.. (7+ / 0-)

..Levy is calling Im Tirtzu fascistic and its actions put the "horns of a fascist state" on Israel, not that Israel itself it s fascist state.  Did you read the article?    Am I right? :)  Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly.

by sofia on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 02:12:28 AM PST

•  My interpretation is consistent with yours. (5+ / 0-)

Which doesn't mean to say that Levy's  point loses its moral force. But Tom J should have quoted Levy accurately. The headline in Haaretz is damning enough as is Levy's point about fascistic strains in both Israel and the wider world.

Corporations are not persons and money is not speech.

by Fire bad tree pretty on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 04:34:09 AM PST

•  i quoted the headline. now changed. nt (4+ / 0-)

Yes, i support an intifada.

by Tom J on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 07:43:20 AM PST

•  I googled.. (3+ / 0-)

..and I saw quite a few posts at a number of blogs that had the headline "A fascist state under the cover of Zionism", so I assume that was the original title in Ha'aretz.

If Ha'aretz's policy is anything like the policy in most US papers, the author of the piece doesn't write the headline, the paper's editors do.  They first gave it that headline and then decided to change it because it doesn't really reflect, in my view anyway, what Levy actually said in the piece.

And btw, if blueness HAD seen the original title, he simply would have informed me of the fact.  Of that I'm quite sure.

by sofia on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 10:22:13 AM PST

•  okay, (0+ / 0-)

if blueness did not see the headline, that means he did not follow the link when he started commenting on the diary. in other words, he was just giving a knee-jerk response. He really had no interest in the substance of the diary, the campaign against those who question Israeli policies, he just immediately launched an attack against me.

ironically, he does this in a diary about  this group Im Tirtzu and their personal attacks against those that refuse to support every Israeli policy. i should thank blue for his decision to give us yet another example of this type of behavior.

Sofia, is this a snark or do you really expect integrity from blue?

Yes, i support an intifada.

by Tom J on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 10:47:52 AM PST

•  Yes, of course.. (4+ / 0-)

Sofia, is this a snark or do you really expect integrity from blue?

I do.  That doesn't mean I agree with everything he writes or every categorization he makes.  Just like I'm sure he does not agree with me on everything, but overall I find him quite honest.

I hope we can move on now and stop with the personal insults.

by sofia on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 12:00:59 PM PST

•  Thanks Tom (3+ / 0-)
            zannie, capelza, sofia

I'm glad that my initial feeling about your integrity was right - I did not want to think that you had done anything to change the meaning of Levy's words and I'm glad to see that confirmed.

Corporations are not persons and money is not speech.

by Fire bad tree pretty on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 01:42:18 PM PST

•  blueness, you saw this article (0+ / 0-)

earlier, and you know damn well that was the title in Haaretz originally. so now you conveniently hide that fact, and suggest i made it up.

what a freakin' liar.

you belong to this group "im tirtzu"? you would do them proud.

Yes, i support an intifada.

by Tom J on Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 07:49:44 AM PST

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (50)
  • Environment (38)
  • Elections (36)
  • Media (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Jeb Bush (28)
  • Culture (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Iraq (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • LGBT (16)
  • Congress (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site