View Diary: Smackdown: Keynes vs. Hayek With Poll (38 comments)

•  Would you elaborate? (0+ / 0-)

That's a pretty broad statement, especially when describing something that been around for almost 150 years.

What don't you like about it?

Results count for more than intentions do.

by VA Classical Liberal on Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 07:23:41 AM PST

•  Well, you kind of say it youself... (1+ / 0-)
      VA Classical Liberal

...in your diary (you were being sarcastic and not meant to be literal). I feel the Austrian School is just a bunch of free-market dogmatic hooey that fails to reflect the REAL world in any way (the crazy uncle indeed). It has an extremely oversimplified view of the world and too much of a faith in "free markets". The only redeeming quality of the school is that it is less emphatic about mathematics (I personally feel economics in general has become the astrology of the social sciences overly dependent on math).

Take my criticism with a grain of salt. I can write a whole diary on the subject so I do not want to engage in a huge back and forth debate here. I am an economics grad. school dropout, so don't worry, my criticism doesn't mean diddly.

I took this quiz and it basically brands my a leftist/socialist/communist/Keynesian or something. I guess I am just not sympathetic to your school of thought.

This was a very good diary you wrote, however, and despite my antipathy towards Autrians, I tipped and rec'd.

"...if my thought-dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine...." {-8.13;-5.59}

by lams712 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 08:44:46 AM PST

•  I'm not a big fan of that quiz. (1+ / 0-)
        lams712

I've seen it before, but literally have never made it through the first choice on the first question.  I doubt the validity of anything written like this.

Have you seen this quiz?  I like it because it's short, simple and seems to do a good job categorizing the people I know who have taken it.

Results count for more than intentions do.

by VA Classical Liberal on Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 09:00:33 AM PST

•  I am a left-liberal according to... (1+ / 0-)
          VA Classical Liberal

...that quiz (90% on personal issues and 10% on economic ones).

by lams712 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 09:20:29 AM PST

•  I'm P 100/E 80. (0+ / 0-)

May I ask which P question you disagreed with?

And do you think the quiz and the chart represent your views well?

Results count for more than intentions do.

by VA Classical Liberal on Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 11:14:05 AM PST

•  Yes, the chart reflects my views... (0+ / 0-)

....accurately. The question on the Personal scale that I disagreed with was:  Government should not censor speech, press, media or Internet. I put "maybe". I believe that there might be circumstances where certain rights are NOT absolute (yelling "fire" in a crowd and all that).

by lams712 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 12:05:49 PM PST

•  Another example, please. (0+ / 0-)

I don't think prohibiting yelling fire in a movie house is censorship.  Other examples I can think of, like liable laws, etc., aren't really censorship either (at least not as I see it).

What's another example?

BTW, I agree with all the P questions (obviously, since I score 100 on that axis) and most of the E questions.  The two I answered maybe to are "Replace Government welfare with private charity" because I think it really depends on what you call charity and "Cut taxes and government spending by 50% or more." because I think this is the wrong question.

The question of how big government should be (and therefore how much taxation and spending it should have) can't be answered until you figure out what government should be doing.  That's the important question we keep glossing over.

Results count for more than intentions do.

by VA Classical Liberal on Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 12:16:32 PM PST

•  maths and oversimplifying... (1+ / 0-)
        VA Classical Liberal

I find your comment at odds with your others, given that Keynesianism relies on the maths considerably. That, and the basic formula (C + I + G = Y) behind it treats society like a physics equation and not the complex adaptive system it truly is. While it may not be as oversimplified as the Austrian view, its assumptions can be just as dangerous as those made by the free marketeers.

That being said, I've enjoyed your commentary throughout this thread.