View Diary: New CNN CEO: Jon Stewart was right, Crossfire sucks (175 comments)

•  Signs of a possibly decent news man? (4.00)
    Never heard of the guy, but the Stewart quote alone puts him in the top 5% of TV news people that I know of, although that aint worth shit.

However, a quick search turns this up:

In 1993, Jon launched a unique prime-time documentary series, Before Your Eyes, two-hour movies-of-the-week that explored social issues such as child abuse, AIDS and juvenile delinquency through the eyes of real people living through dramatic moments in their lives with the cameras rolling. The series, for which Jon served as executive producer and director, was acclaimed for pioneering new forms of storytelling and received numerous national awards.

In 1997, Klein conceived and executive produced the CBS documentary Inside the Jury Room, in which network television cameras were permitted for the first time to observe deliberations in a criminal trial. The documentary won a Columbia-DuPont Silver Baton.

Klein also wrote the story for the TNT Original film Buffalo Soldiers, a 1997 historical drama starring Danny Glover.

link

May not be too bad, if he A) has enough free range to do what he wants to do at CNN and B) continues in a similar direction as to whats mentioned on that page.

Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty. - David Neiwert

by SleepyG on Wed Jan 05, 2005 at 04:30:53 PM PST

•  Thanks for the info. (none)
      I have reached new levels of laziness when I rely on strangers to do my Googling for me....

This gets my hope up a little. A LITTLE.

In the midst of life we are in debt, etc.

by ablington on Wed Jan 05, 2005 at 04:36:30 PM PST

•  Wouldn't that be wonderful? (none)
        I'm afraid to hope. Now, if they would only fire everybody except Aaron Brown. Well,maybe except Aaron Brown.

Thanks for the news.

•  Keep Aaron Brown (4.00)
          He is the one of a fast dying breed- a journalist, not a "news entertainer".

The best lesson I've learned in life is that spirituality is NOT religion.

by Oke on Wed Jan 05, 2005 at 09:17:37 PM PST

•  What do you think of Paula Zahn? n/t (none)
          •  Paula Zahn approves of torture (none)
            at least she did when they were discussing it right after 9/11 on CNN. The old justification: 'What if American lives were at stake' was being discussed and Paula chimed in 'what about beatings?' twice. I cannot overlook that.

Hell, even Ann Coulter disdained torture, saying 'It just doesn't work.' [maybe she had some first hand experience? :-( ]

•  At which end of the whip? (none)
              ;-)

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case." - Ken Kesey

by Glinda on Thu Jan 06, 2005 at 04:34:53 AM PST

•  Really? (none)
              Sounds inappropriate.  However, I would be surprised if she wasn't just playing "devil's advocate."  I see her do that with both sides on a fairly even basis.

I suppose I should disclose that I might be a tad biased about her.  I knew her (not well) back in Naperville, IL.  She was in my high school graduating class.  Paula was a super brain, not stuck on herself (unspoiled, even) and nice to everyone.  Salutorian of the class.  A diligent and serious student, she used to enter beauty contests to get scholarship money for college.

She is one of the very few reporters on TV who seems to have no agenda.  To me, anyway.  But, again, I have a pre-conceived notion of her.

•  Good at staying on-script (none)
            Not sure she has any strong opinions of her own. Certainly she hasn't made any attempt to let us know what they are. She looks good on a news set though.

Oh, and in those commercials. I think of her as the Britney Spears of CNN. (Worse, I think they do, too.)

"...there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Hamlet, Act II, Scene ii.

by thingamabob on Thu Jan 06, 2005 at 06:45:52 AM PST

•  Nice Teeth (none)

People vote for sunshine, not for gloom and doom!

by missliberties on Thu Jan 06, 2005 at 06:26:09 PM PST

•  Substantive and compelling... (none)
      Sound like SpikeTV meets The Surgery Channel.  I don't believe a word these guys say.  Their owned by media fascists.  You can't be decent and get to that level.  Trust me, I WAS at that level and at the time, I wasn't decent.