View Diary: Kevin Smith is not Too Fat - SWA is Too Bigoted (and Stupid) to Fly! - Updated (177 comments)

•  How dare you compare homosexuality or race? (6+ / 0-)

Being homosexual or being (Arabic, for ex.) is completely different than being overweight or obese. Completely.

Being overweight or obese is ALMOST always a choice. Your particular example is ignorant; if your wife has less metabolism, she needs to eat less calories than you or get more activity.

If you have a thyroid problem or are taking drugs or have some other bona fide medical condition, then I'm sure name-calling is hurtful, but REGARDLESS, SW Air's policy is their policy, it's stated on their web site:

Customers who are unable to lower both armrests and/or who compromise any portion of adjacent seating should proactively book the number of seats needed prior to travel. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats and measures 17 inches in width. This purchase serves as a notification of a special seating need and allows us to process a refund of the additional seating cost after travel (provided the flight doesn’t oversell). Most importantly, it ensures that all onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating.

...and interstate flight is specifically excluded from the ADA.

So, sorry that life is life, and that if you take up more room than a standard seat, you to pay for that other seat, and you're not allowed to encroach onto another seat, especially if someone else is trying to sit there somewhat comfortably as well. Take the train if you don't like it, back off the twinkies, or hit the gym.

Donk: Poker term referring to someone who pretends to be talented, smart and good at life. Syn.: Poser, faker, wannabe, loser.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:05:17 AM PST

•  But how do you know? (11+ / 0-)

How do you know my thyroid is messed up, until you're close enough to see the surgical scar, and know what you're looking at?

How do you know, when I am wearing my braces and special shoe, that I have orthopedic problems that keep me from doing weightbearing exercise? You don't.

Quite frankly, I feel it's an invasion of my privacy to have to proclaim my medical history to the person I am sitting next to in order to get plain old fashioned civility.

Tell you what: I will attempt to keep my fat within bounds and not touch you with it. In return, please remove your Giant Invisible Schlong so you don't have your knees all over the place, and tuck your elbows in. Also, your cologne is not sexy. Just so you know. Thanks!

•  You don't get a pass in the airplane regardless. (4+ / 0-)

I hope you don't think that just because you "can't help it" doesn't mean you can't be charged for a 2nd seat, or that you're not violating my space.

The "person sitting next to you" should be civil regardless of why you're obese.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:16:16 AM PST

•  fascinating that you use the violating my space (6+ / 0-)

argument.

I find most perfumes, deoderants, and colognes to be space violating. I'm not fat, so I wouldn't have to buy an extra seat, but I think that people who bathe in perfume/deoderant/cologne should have to pay for the space they pollute.

BlackKos Tu/Fri. yes, I drank my bitchy juice today!

by terrypinder on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:04:42 PM PST

•  If it was an epidemic like obesity.. (0+ / 0-)

...no argument from me!

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:06:55 PM PST

•  it is an epidemic (4+ / 0-)
              crose, m00finsan, DruidQueen, Valdearg

especially among GenY.

at any rate I'm semi-snarking but I think my point stands.

also, I've flown recently and I'm small and the seats are extremely uncomfortable and small. Even if the people next to you are small/average sized, you won't have any space and it will get violated regardless. I think a lot of this is simply fat-hate, which is ironic.

BlackKos Tu/Fri. yes, I drank my bitchy juice today!

by terrypinder on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:09:49 PM PST

•  Couldn't you come to the opposite conclusion? (0+ / 0-)

Airplane seats in coach aren't Lay-z-boys, for sure, but they're adequate for the average-sized person. But if we accepted your premise that they're too small even for an average or small person, doesn't it follow then that being overweight will further exacerbate the plight of the others sitting in that row?

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:15:31 PM PST

•  my thoughts on that are (4+ / 0-)

it's a bus in the sky. that's the model the airlines have chosen. I ride the bus daily and it is not comfortable in the least. I suffer for an hour or so on the bus every day; I can suffer for 2 hours or so in the sky once every two years.

I also don't accept that the airline seats are too small is just a premise. I'm very uncomfortable, and I'm only 5'5". This is the model they've chosen to pack the most amount of money into the least number of planes. I'm not disputing that this is simply business and business is not in the business of even being considerate or fair. Customer comfort has long not been important to the airlines and I think my point about this being fat-hate is apt.

Certainly you could make a point on smaller planes but I've flown on smaller planes (the turboprops and smaller jets) and those seats are fucking huge compared to what Southwest uses.

It's not just airline seats either. We went to an arena and those seats were even more uncomfortable then airline seats and I knew exactly why they were that way---to make the most amount of money. Your comfort really isn't that important.

BlackKos Tu/Fri. yes, I drank my bitchy juice today!

by terrypinder on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:21:42 PM PST

•  Airline seats are not "too small" (0+ / 0-)

because people keep buying them.

Midwest airline tried the business model of roomier seats at higher prices.  That was not profitable.  The vast majority of the public will buy those smaller seats if the fares are cheap enough.

Frequent fliers know exactly the dimensions of seat and seat pitch on various airlines (and that's who the airlines care about -- the frequent fliers, not the people who fly once a year on vacation).  When an airline makes a seat small enough to lose a share of the frequent flier market, then seat size will change.

•  People keep buying them (0+ / 0-)

because flying is the only fast way to get from point "A" to point "Q". It has nothing to do with comfort. A recent poll (that I am trying to locate) stated plainly that people would pay more for better flight experiences, including comfortable seats. The bottom line is that people must pay what they pay and fly what there is because that's all there is, comfort or not.

Mal: "...So then the Shepherd says to the Companion, "Well, a good goat'll do that."

by crose on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:39:55 PM PST

•  Midwest airlines tried that business model (1+ / 0-)
                        Conure

of having larger seats for the entire plane, with a bit of a higher fare for everybody.  They've had to abadon that business model (there are lots of news articles about it, but see one here discussing it.

If airlines thought they would be more profitable by charging higher fares and offering larger seats, they would.  After all, isn't that mainly what first class is all about? If there were a larger demand for first class, airlines would expand the number of first class seats.  But they can't even sell all the first class seats that they have -- they largely are used as a perk for frequent fliers.  The number of people willing to pay more for a larger seat is fairly small.  The vast majority of the public will by the smallest seat, regardless of comfort.  That's the reality of the demand.  The airlines are trying to supply those cheap seats demanded by the public.

•  people keep buying them (0+ / 0-)

because they have no other choice. This nation and much of its population doesn't give a flying fuck about alternate high-speed transportation and its people are about instant gratification--get there fast, get it done fast, etc.

BlackKos Tu/Fri. yes, I drank my bitchy juice today!

by terrypinder on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 05:13:42 AM PST

•  I appreciate this info (1+ / 0-)
                    Charles CurtisStanley

It gives me all the more reason to stay away from Southwest. I am taller than you are and broad-shouldered for a woman; shoulderpads make me look like a linebacker. I have shoulder definition enough already. And I am overweight and carry an extra 2 liters of fluid inside my abdomen at all times - it's my dialysis. Which is also why I am overweight; it is not safe to eat 0-400 calories a day but that is what I would have to do to mitigate for the empty dextrose calories I get every night from my dialysate fluid.

Living kidney donor needed; type B, O, or incompatible (with paired donation). Drop me a note (see profile).

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:18:58 PM PST

•  And don't forget about those of us (5+ / 0-)

extremely sensitive to cigarette odor having to sit next to someone whose very clothes reek of the stuff.

And people talk about this stuff by saying "Obesity is a choice." Well, if you ride a motorcycle without a helmet and end up a paraplegic, that's a choice too, so we should do away with all accommodations for the disabled?

Civility is the way of telling someone to go fuck themselves in such a way that the someone agrees it probably is a good idea.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:31:04 PM PST

•  Give an example (0+ / 0-)

of an accommodation that is similar to giving a free extra seat to an obese person OR allowing another's rented space to be encroached upon.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:09:37 PM PST

•  The child that climbs all over the seats.. (2+ / 0-)
                    Cali Scribe, Kitsap River

and kicks them. I know I don't pay to have a freaking animal kicking my seat and screaming at me the entire flight, but I put up with it, because I'm a civil person.

•  Nope (0+ / 0-)

You can request a flight attendant deal with the situation.

I appreciate how civil of a person you try to be. I suspect your life is a bit more stressful because of it, however.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:17:14 PM PST

•  You absolutely do not have to put up (0+ / 0-)

with that.  Flight attendants will remedy that if called.  I'm a frequent traveler, and if a kid was messing with my seat, I'd (1) ask the parent to make him stop; and (2) if that didn't work, call the flight attendant.

If the person next to me is too big to fit into a seatand takes up a third of my already small seat, however, flight attendants cannot remedy that.

•  The person who needs lifesaving dialysis (1+ / 0-)
                    Charles CurtisStanley

and needs to do an exchange mid-flight.

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:21:31 PM PST

•  Where (0+ / 0-)

is anyone advocating giving a free seat to an obese person?

by crose on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:41:21 PM PST

•  Free extra seat (0+ / 0-)

see above, comparing giving another seat and/or "accommodating" someone in your space to the accommodations at the post office for someone in a wheel chair.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:14:03 PM PST

•  Not for all the disabled (1+ / 0-)
                  Charles CurtisStanley

Disability is rarely incurred by choice, but if you're going to follow the model of dark daze and DonkSlayer, make sure you identify anyone who has become disabled by engaging in reckless behavior by making him or her wear a scarlet letter. I suggest an A.

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:20:49 PM PST

•  I think we have 2 issues here (1+ / 0-)
                terrypinder
                One is that arlines cram as many people in as possible for economic reasons. And yes, you are right, even my 5'9" 145lb skinny ass finds the seats uncomfortable, so I live with it and try to be polite and cosiderate of people larger than me and yield a little space because I can. The solution to that his wider seats and higher airfare, or better yet, more trains because they are bigger and cheaper.

Next is the fact an increasing number of American are overweight because of life-style choices; they overeat, eat poorly and don't excercise. They are unhealthy and killing themselves, and in many cases living in denial about it. They need to eat less, eat better, excercise and stop making excuses. If they do so they will be healthier and happier and so will I. When I see such people out in resturats with jumbo plates piled to the sky it sometimes makes me ill and I think that's a rational reaction.

So let's not beat up on people because they are bigger than lousy cheapo arline seas, but let's also not brush the problems under the carpet.

Get healthy. Please.

Hi Terry, long time no see. How's PA?

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 02:16:21 PM PST

•  Poverty (2+ / 0-)
                  Charles CurtisStanley, koNko

An increasing number of Americans are overweight or obese because they are poor and cheap food is stuffed full of empty calories. Fresh vegetables and the time to cook a healthy meal are both dear.

What do you plan to do about that?

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:24:10 PM PST

•  Don't spend money on airplane rides. (0+ / 0-)

To start with.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:15:22 PM PST

•  Yes because there are train route in every city, (0+ / 0-)
                      and bus's don't take several days to complete a trip a plane can make in a matter of hours..

I'm so glad you live in the future but for the rest of us, we're dealing with reality here.

•  Agree thats a problem (1+ / 0-)
                    Kitsap River

A social problem that can be solved with public education and, in some cases, neighborhood co-ops.  But i most cases I think people have healthier choices if they know about them and make effort.

I know lots of people get themselves addictited to cheap junk food and don't even think about the alternatives, but they exist in almost any supermarket. An apple is not more expensive than a big bag of potato chips but you have to make the choice.

But what I'm thinking about is what I see often in resturants; portions in many are too big already and that even pushes food on people just to raise prices. And then so many people really pile it on and simply overeat, and these a middle class or wealthy people who really have a choice.

One observation I have about the US and the UK is everythink is portions are so big - really, the amount of food could feed 2-4 people elsewhere. People should share food more.

Anyway, I hope this thread makes more people think about it - it is your health, your life.

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 10:44:43 PM PST

•  There do exist "food deserts" here, though (1+ / 0-)
                      Charles CurtisStanley

Places where one cannot find or buy healthy food, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, do exist in the U.S. and are well-documented. They especially persist in areas of high poverty. This is not a problem that can be solved by education.

by Kitsap River on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 01:19:40 AM PST

•  You bring up a good point. (4+ / 0-)

Mass transportation will almost ALWAYS be uncomfortable in some way, shape, or form.

Why discriminate against fat people that make your flight uncomfortable? From now on, I'm going to demand that people who smell bad, people with annoying children, ESPECIALLY the ones who kick my seat, and people who snore loud pay extra, too.

The fact is that there needs to be a certain level of civility in handling these issues. Now, if someone is INCREDIBLY large and really causing issues, fine, it's understandable to kick them off. However, if someone is only slightly intrusive, why worry about it? If I have to put up with screaming children, you should have to put up with the reasonably minor inconvenience of slight cramping, that I really do try to minimize in those situations.

•  exactly (6+ / 0-)

add a fee for people who talk to me when I'm trying to look out the window. I don't need to hear about your personal God, thanks. It's violating my space.

(heh)

BlackKos Tu/Fri. yes, I drank my bitchy juice today!

by terrypinder on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:15:35 PM PST

•  Most frequent fliers would disagree (0+ / 0-)

with this:

Here's the deal.  I paid for a seat. I'm entitled to a seat.  Not half of a seat, not 2/3 of a seat.  But a seat.  If a person next to me takes up a portion of my seat (for whatever reason!), they are taking from me something that I paid for.  Because my fare guarantees me a seat.

My fare does not guarantee me quiet, or freedom from noxious smells.  However, if any person is otherwise intruding on me or my seat (kicking it, etc.) I have the right to call the flight attendant and ask that the situation be addressed. If the person next to me tried to carry on a golf bag took it out of the overhead during the flight (because they wanted to do something with it) and that came over into my seat, that's intrusion into my seat that I paid for and I'd call the flight attendant and have the situation remedied.  If the person next to me took over my seat for any reason, I'd call the flight attendant and have it remedied.  Why should some people have the right to take a portion of the seat that I paid for, simply so that they do not have to spend the money necessary for the more-than-one-seat that they require?

The question is, how much of the seat that I paid for must I be willing to give up so that a person of size does not have to buy 2 seats?  How much must I be willing to subsidize that person's flight?

•  None (1+ / 0-)
                Charles CurtisStanley

But you have to put up with the person next to you taking up the entirety of the seat they paid for, from the edge of one side to the edge of the other side, which may touch you when you are near or at the edge of your seat, and you have to remain absolutely silent about it.

How much of the seat they paid for can they take up? Every single millimeter, without you being able to complain, by the terms you've laid out above.

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:27:18 PM PST

•  Thanks for this. (1+ / 0-)
            terrypinder

I am obese, and it so very much less of a choice than most people wrongly believe. But by god the wearing of 15 differently-scented products IS a choice, especially the last heavy dousing that people engage in these days. I find heavily-scented products to be more than offensive--they stink, period. It's like people are shouting "Smell THAT! I can take up more airspace than anyone else!!" And if the person next to you hasn't swathed themselves in perfume, they have indulged in a lovely garlic and onion-based preflight meal for your pleasure.

by crose on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:35:05 PM PST

•  He knows (1+ / 0-)
        Alexandra Lynch

because he's a fucking genius and Shut Up That's Why.

by Dr Squid on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:54:39 AM PST

•  I think he was reproducing some of (3+ / 0-)
      ColoTim, M Sullivan, Cassandra Waites

the tweets Kevin Smith was getting.

"Looks like we got ourselves a Reader" - Bill Hicks

by blueoregon on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:18:29 AM PST

•  Yes, I compare it... (8+ / 0-)

being a particular religion is a CHOICE - yet that is protected.

For some being gay seems to be a matter of hormones inutero based on the latest science, for others it might be a choice or not, being heavy absolutely IS GENETIC for most people but either way people should be treated equally.

The fact that (some) people can change their weight via diet, exercise, starvation and surgery doesn't mean that everyone should - as the health risks of anorexia, bulimia and body morphic disorder makes clear.

Also I don't think having a so-called "policy" is valid when they didn't follow their own policy.  Only after he bitched about it did they call him up and admit that he did fit in the seat.

They just didn't have the guts to admit their mistake on their blog. The point is that claiming he's "Too fat to Fly" is a LIE.

So that argument is also a FAIL.

Commmunism = Government Run Corporations. Fascism = Corporate Run Government. Freedom = Government Protecting People from Corporate Criminals

by Frank Vyan Walton on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:24:41 AM PST

•  Look, I don't know if they lied or not. (3+ / 0-)
        ozsea1, Conure, JerseyGirl in Florida

And if they did LIE, then sure that's bad, and he deserved (and got) compensation.

But your argument that being overweight or obese is almost always genetic is an absolute joke. Perhaps some people have some genetic favorability toward being smaller than others, but it can almost always be manipulated, and it's really offensive that you immediately talk about anorexia and starvation when dealing with weight maniuplation methods.

"People should be treated equally" when they're equal..before the law. Weight does not make a person a person.  If one person is huge and impedes on another's paid-for space, than those people aren't equal, are they?

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:36:50 AM PST

•  You should listen to Kevin comments (0+ / 0-)

in both the video and his blog and compare it to their comments in their blog (which I've provided) - his story makes sense, there's doesn't.

And, no it's not a joke - my wife was 12lbs when she was born.  What was she over straining her umbilical cord?  My grandson is headed the same way.  Can it be manipulated with ridiculous amounts of over-exercising and/or overeating?  In some case, but not all.

The real question for me, and I've seen this automatic asumption that she just HAS to be diabetic at her size - she's not, she's actually hypoglycemic which is the opposite effect and requires she eat regularly to keep her blood sugar from crashing - is just how much stress being constantly told "SHAPE UP FATTY" by every commercial and tv, and treated like a lazy slob by most people she meets does to damage her mood.

Vyan

Vyan

by Frank Vyan Walton on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 05:06:43 PM PST

•  Free Tickets is not compensation. (0+ / 0-)

How about paying for the embarrasment, or his flight on a airline of his choice because he sure as fuck aint flying with those fail motherfuckers ever again is his fucking life!

•  I disagree (0+ / 0-)
        With all due respect, a large and increasing percentage of americans are overweight because they eat too much and/or poorly. This is not my opinion, but a statistical trend.

It is partly a result of growth hormones put in livetock but one can chose not to eat unhealthy food.

Whenever I visit the USA I'm really apalled by the number of overweight people and also the size of portions in resturants, which could feed a familly of 3-4 people in most countries.

Certianly obesity is a genetic condition for many people but a majority of Americans are above optimum and over 30% are clinically obese, and that suggests behavioral problems.

My reaction to this case which I posted was "I hope you lose weight, you are unhealthy".

Let me help you with this. In China, where I live, we also have an increasing trend of childhood obesity and this has been positively linked to diet, particularly the increasing amount of meat and junk food affluent people are feeding their kids and the tendancy to push food on children because our older generations experienced so much hunger. So now we also have increasing tends of related illness such as diabetes and colsteral related heart disease.

We did not suddenly develop a genetic pre-disposition; the diet and lifestyle of affluent people has simply become unheathy.

So with all due respect, and not passing judgement, I have to disagree and take issue with you broad generalization because it is living in dennial of a problem.

Maybe not yuor girlfriend's problem, but a general, social problem.

Overeating, poor eating and lack of excercise is causing a lot of people to be overweight and unhealthy, and they have another choice I hope they will take.

Thanks.

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:49:19 PM PST

•  Typical American schedule (2+ / 0-)

Where do you fit in regular exercise and time to prepare food in the schedule below?

Wake up at 4 am
          Grab a cup of coffee, get a chance to read the news, make a sandwich or other lunch
          In the shower by 5 am
          Get dressed: 5:30 am
          Out the door: 5:45 am
          Drive 6 miles to the boat. Park and get out. Walk to the boat. Take the boat to the other side. Dock at 6:45 am.
          Take a bus downtown.
          Take another bus to work.
          Arrive at work at 7:50 am.
          Work until lunch.
          Quickly grab your sandwich or other lunch and shovel it down while you're working during your lunch hour
          Work some more
          Start wrapping up at 5:00 (when you're officially off); sign out and leave the office at 5:15 pm
          Take a bus downtown
          Take a bus to the dock
          Run down the dock to the boat
          Take the 6:35 boat home. Walk from the boat to the parking lot with your car; drive 6 miles to get home unless you have to go to the pharmacy to pick up medication, or go to the store.
          Arrive home at 7:30 at the earliest, possibly later depending on errands.
          Fall asleep by 9 pm, usually in front of your computer.
          Get awakened by your wife at 11 or so and feed the dogs. Go to bed.

lather, rinse, repeat

Where is the time for healthy eating? Where is the time for exercising? I have suggested that he exercise at lunch, but he works through lunch; so many Americans do. We do not get breaks. Working through lunch is entirely typical and expected. if you don't do it, you're generally thought to be slacking. This is a dangerous perception for a manager to have of his or her employee - dangerous for the employee, in this economic climate.

We don't really have another choice, at least most of us do not, not if we want to keep our jobs.

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:39:28 PM PST

•  Snark (0+ / 0-)

This has to be. Otherwise I missed the article explaining that all fit (or not overweight) folks don't have a full-time job.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:18:05 PM PST

•  How many hours do you spend commuting a day? (1+ / 0-)
              Charles CurtisStanley

The above schedule is my partner's and I have written it in all honesty. He spends about 4 hours a day commuting. How many hours a day do you spend commuting?

There is absolutely no snark whatever in that schedule. No dishonesty. Nothing added, and nothing left out.

Where do you suggest he fit in exercise? Because he needs to and he isn't getting it.

by Kitsap River on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 12:40:41 AM PST

•  I think thatt's more exercise (1+ / 0-)
            Kitsap River

Than many people get. Really.

The point is this: what do you chose to eat? I'm also very busy and seldom have time for a good lunch. So I take fruit to work - I'm famous where I work for that. And it's faster and cheaper than grabbing junkfood.

If you eat better, you could save some trips to the pharmacy, and the money you spend on drugs would be better spent on something healthy to eat.

I think in any given workplace you sill find healthy and unhealthy people, the healthy ones tend to have different habits and make different choices, and the result is their quality of life is better.

And I don't buy the excuse that people who pile on the food don't have another choice; actually, if time is the issue, they could save time by eating less.

And I'm not saying people don't have problems or that we don't ages, etc. After my wife's pregnancy, it took her more than a year to get back to normal weight and really took effort on her part, but she had the desire to lose the weight and made the effort.

Not everyne is going to be rail thin, that's not even healthy for some people beacuse of body type. And certianly some beople have conditions that lead to obesity that really can only be controlled.

But I din't think that is the case with most overweight people.

One observation: between 1988-1995 I was out of the US and the first time I returned I immediately noticed a big change. The number of overweight people was drmatically increased, the amount of food people were eating in resturants was, um, like huge plates, and it seemed to be the new status quo.

In other words, there was a cultural change, a lifestyle change, and it wouldn't surprise me to find over this period obesity related disorders increased.

I just urge people to think about it and take control. Sincerely I do.

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:03:30 PM PST

•  I can tell you what the change is (2+ / 0-)
              Charles CurtisStanley, koNko

It's not just restaurants super-sizing portions. I can tell you in four words what a lot of the change is:
              high fructose corn syrup

The government subsidizes growing corn, and there is so much corn grown that a lot of it is converted into this poison. It permeates American processed food, restaurant food, treats, breads (most supposedly wholesome breads in the market contain this), soft drinks, sauces, anything with any sort of sweetening in it at all. Even savory sauces have this crap in it. You'd be surprised how conditions change not too far from us, in Vancouver, where the portion sizes in restaurants are about the same but you don't have the obesity problem that you do in the U.S. Both Vancouver and Seattle residents get a similar amount of exercise, I would imagine. The climate is close to identical and when it's raining in Van, it's going to rain here, or vice versa. People eat a similar diet in both places. Yet there's a greater obesity problem in Seattle than  there is in Vancouver, and I think it's because Canada doesn't subsidize corn sweeteners and encourage their addition to everything. In fact, in sugary pop, the U.S. versions are sweetened with corn syrup and the Canadian versions outlaw it. No joke. I am pretty convinced that HFCS is the culprit in a lot of obesity and so are quite a few other people. But try to find regular mainstream brands that don't use it; it's almost impossible, depending on the foodstuff, and you may wind up having to make it yourself.

This is one reason I have a bread machine. When you buy whole wheat bread in the market, unless you spend a long time reading all the labels, you might buy some that is not 100% whole grain and that contains HFCS. Depending on where you live and the size of your market, you might have a hard time finding any that meets the not-too-stringent criteria of being 100% whole grain and containing no HFCS; try it sometime. It's pretty difficult unless you live in or near a fairly good sized town. If you're in or near a small town and you've got one, maybe two small markets, good luck to you; you'll need it! Anyway, I make my own bread for this reason. I know what is in it. There are no preservatives. You can pronounce everything I put into it. You don't need a chemical dictionary to understand what any of it is. Yes, I sweeten my bread; you have to in order to make the yeast happy. I use local honey, or pure maple syrup, or (once in a while) actual cane sugar. There is never any corn syrup in it. The only corn that might once in a while get into it is corn meal. There is salt in my bread, too, because I've forgotten and left it out and boy, does it rise funny. It's not overly salty, though, which an awful lot of American food is.

In recent years, really within the last decade to decade and a half or so, food scientists working for the big food corporations have learned how to maximize cravings for their particular kind of food. They've learned how to make us crave cheap fats, salt, and sweeteners. They've learned that the cheaper sweetener - corn syrup - contains less nutritive value as the body interprets it per calorie consumed, so they can use this to make us buy more and more. They do everything they can to make addicts out of the general population, and then we get criticized for being the most obese nation on earth.

Yes, there are things individuals can and should do to take back ownership of their bodies and break the addiction cycle, but the fact that we are all addicted is less our fault and more the fault of those who snuck this up on us and profited richly thereby.

by Kitsap River on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 01:00:44 AM PST

•  Very interesting (2+ / 0-)

Thanks for explaining that, it makes sense.  Actually, in chinese cooking we commonly use green bean powder or corn starch as a coating of thickening agent. Traditionally bean powder is preferred because i't adds protien and has a good flavor while corn starch is, well, starchy and flavorless. But generally, resturants (except vegetarian of fine resturants)generally use corn starch and MSG to enhance the flavor of food so you will want more and I wonder if the corn starch has a similar effect as the corn sweetener. MSG is actually a by-prouct of sugar refining, in home cooking we normally use a pinch of brown cane sugar instead and cane juice is actually considered to be a health-food drink in winter (but that is unrefined, just the juice from steamed canes sometimes mixed with ginger juice).

by koNko on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 08:14:08 AM PST

•  It's not just portions... (0+ / 0-)

there's also the fact we tend to have food in the U.S. that is less and less nutritious for the same cost.  People are eating more but getting less out of it because of factory farming.

Vyan

by Frank Vyan Walton on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 05:10:20 PM PST

•  True (0+ / 0-)

And the worst things are the steroids and antibiotics in meat, the saturated fats and the incredible amount of sugar in prepared foods. Sugar is definately additive.

Seriously, eating commercial poultry, beef or pork in any great amount probably is a significant contributor to obesity. The same chemicals used to plump up the livestock plumps up the humans too.  People need to think about that.

Eat your friggin vegetables like Mom said.

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:09:12 PM PST

•  Here is the problem with your argument (3+ / 0-)
      Kitsap River, crose, Cassandra Waites

If SWA posts the policy on their web site, then every single person in the USA who flies SWA and fits their definition of being overweight should be thrown off the plane or made to buy a second ticket.  But this is not the case, SWA randomly and discriminatory throws people off their planes.  Do you get that?  They pick and choose!!  Thats illegal.  Either throw everyone off, or throw none off, but it cant be some.. And that's Kevin Smiths point.  The policy should be all or none, Not all or some.

•  I wasn't arguing with that point at all. (0+ / 0-)

But whether charging for an extra seat is wrongly discriminatory or not is a separate issue, and the one I took exception to.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:54:54 AM PST

•  Interesting screen name (0+ / 0-)

Care to explain?  Are you ignorant of the fact that right wing neanderthals use donk for Democrat?

•  Why should I (1+ / 0-)
      Charles CurtisStanley

have to show you my dialysis catheter, which is implanted in my abdomen, to justify the way I look?

"Back off the twinkies" indeed; the nearest I've come to Twinkies is listening to Dan White's Twinkie Defense (and do you know how long ago that was?). "Hit the gym" - if only I could! Why don't you give me one of your kidneys so I can?

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:13:02 PM PST

•  You don't. You just have to pay for your space. (0+ / 0-)

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:18:36 PM PST

•  Listen, turkey (1+ / 0-)
          Charles CurtisStanley

I weighed 130 - a normal weight for my height and gender - when I started dialysis. One of the first things that happened is that my abdominal walls "relaxed" in order to accomodate the fact that I have about 2 liters of fluid in me at all times, sometimes as much as a liter and a half more. So I look either like I am fat or like I am pregnant, take your pick. It is neither. It is dialysis.

I get somewhere between 400 at minimum and about 1200 at the most calories every single night while I sleep, from dextrose. It's what makes my dialysis exchanges work. Without that molecule, there is no osmosis to rid my bloodstream of the toxins that would otherwise quickly kill me. Most nights it's somewhere between 750-800 calories or so. I can measure that with my blood glucose meter and watch my blood sugar spike. It quickly goes back down. There is no way for me to avoid these calories and live.

That is in addition to what I eat. I eat one to two small meals per day. I try to minimize what I eat as much as possible in order to make sure that I can deal with the calories I get from dialysis, but I still have to eat something sometime during the day. It's not healthy for me to eat as little as I do and my dialysis clinic wants me to eat more, not less. But even with this regimen, I've gained about 45 pounds from my starting weight. I am not happy about it, either.

But exercising a lot is not an option I have. I have the time; I have no energy, no stamina, no strength. I have lost a lot of ground since I started dealing with kidney disease. Time was when I could do a yoga class with a lot of movement, take a breather for half an hour, and launch into a combo aerobics and strength training class, or do an hour of spinning. On days when I did do one or the other, I'd throw in an hour and a half of cardio. That was where I started, back in January 2007. Today I can barely walk two blocks. It's not because I am carrying too much weight around, although I am; it's because my goddamn kidneys do not work and I have had two years of a slow toxin buildup until my creatinine is over 7.0 (normal is below 1.0).

It's not like I didn't keep working out for a long time after I got so sick; I did. I kept losing ground. I'd lose more and more.

I am damned if I know what to do except what I am already resolved to do once Charles sets up the Wii Fit we bought for this reason. I don't know how much more ground there is to lose. What I do know is that I shouldn't have to put up with prejudicial jerks who condemn me because my dialysis has put 45 pounds on my already not-small frame.

by Kitsap River on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 01:15:57 AM PST

• Recommended (122)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (23)
  • Elections (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Culture (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Health Care (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site