View Diary: Kevin Smith is not Too Fat - SWA is Too Bigoted (and Stupid) to Fly! - Updated (177 comments)

•  If it was an epidemic like obesity.. (0+ / 0-)

...no argument from me!

Donk: Poker term referring to someone who pretends to be talented, smart and good at life. Syn.: Poser, faker, wannabe, loser.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:06:55 PM PST

•  it is an epidemic (4+ / 0-)
      crose, m00finsan, DruidQueen, Valdearg

especially among GenY.

at any rate I'm semi-snarking but I think my point stands.

also, I've flown recently and I'm small and the seats are extremely uncomfortable and small. Even if the people next to you are small/average sized, you won't have any space and it will get violated regardless. I think a lot of this is simply fat-hate, which is ironic.

BlackKos Tu/Fri. yes, I drank my bitchy juice today!

by terrypinder on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:09:49 PM PST

•  Couldn't you come to the opposite conclusion? (0+ / 0-)

Airplane seats in coach aren't Lay-z-boys, for sure, but they're adequate for the average-sized person. But if we accepted your premise that they're too small even for an average or small person, doesn't it follow then that being overweight will further exacerbate the plight of the others sitting in that row?

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:15:31 PM PST

•  my thoughts on that are (4+ / 0-)

it's a bus in the sky. that's the model the airlines have chosen. I ride the bus daily and it is not comfortable in the least. I suffer for an hour or so on the bus every day; I can suffer for 2 hours or so in the sky once every two years.

I also don't accept that the airline seats are too small is just a premise. I'm very uncomfortable, and I'm only 5'5". This is the model they've chosen to pack the most amount of money into the least number of planes. I'm not disputing that this is simply business and business is not in the business of even being considerate or fair. Customer comfort has long not been important to the airlines and I think my point about this being fat-hate is apt.

Certainly you could make a point on smaller planes but I've flown on smaller planes (the turboprops and smaller jets) and those seats are fucking huge compared to what Southwest uses.

It's not just airline seats either. We went to an arena and those seats were even more uncomfortable then airline seats and I knew exactly why they were that way---to make the most amount of money. Your comfort really isn't that important.

BlackKos Tu/Fri. yes, I drank my bitchy juice today!

by terrypinder on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:21:42 PM PST

•  Airline seats are not "too small" (0+ / 0-)

because people keep buying them.

Midwest airline tried the business model of roomier seats at higher prices.  That was not profitable.  The vast majority of the public will buy those smaller seats if the fares are cheap enough.

Frequent fliers know exactly the dimensions of seat and seat pitch on various airlines (and that's who the airlines care about -- the frequent fliers, not the people who fly once a year on vacation).  When an airline makes a seat small enough to lose a share of the frequent flier market, then seat size will change.

•  People keep buying them (0+ / 0-)

because flying is the only fast way to get from point "A" to point "Q". It has nothing to do with comfort. A recent poll (that I am trying to locate) stated plainly that people would pay more for better flight experiences, including comfortable seats. The bottom line is that people must pay what they pay and fly what there is because that's all there is, comfort or not.

Mal: "...So then the Shepherd says to the Companion, "Well, a good goat'll do that."

by crose on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:39:55 PM PST

•  Midwest airlines tried that business model (1+ / 0-)
                Conure

of having larger seats for the entire plane, with a bit of a higher fare for everybody.  They've had to abadon that business model (there are lots of news articles about it, but see one here discussing it.

If airlines thought they would be more profitable by charging higher fares and offering larger seats, they would.  After all, isn't that mainly what first class is all about? If there were a larger demand for first class, airlines would expand the number of first class seats.  But they can't even sell all the first class seats that they have -- they largely are used as a perk for frequent fliers.  The number of people willing to pay more for a larger seat is fairly small.  The vast majority of the public will by the smallest seat, regardless of comfort.  That's the reality of the demand.  The airlines are trying to supply those cheap seats demanded by the public.

•  people keep buying them (0+ / 0-)

because they have no other choice. This nation and much of its population doesn't give a flying fuck about alternate high-speed transportation and its people are about instant gratification--get there fast, get it done fast, etc.

BlackKos Tu/Fri. yes, I drank my bitchy juice today!

by terrypinder on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 05:13:42 AM PST

•  I appreciate this info (1+ / 0-)
            Charles CurtisStanley

It gives me all the more reason to stay away from Southwest. I am taller than you are and broad-shouldered for a woman; shoulderpads make me look like a linebacker. I have shoulder definition enough already. And I am overweight and carry an extra 2 liters of fluid inside my abdomen at all times - it's my dialysis. Which is also why I am overweight; it is not safe to eat 0-400 calories a day but that is what I would have to do to mitigate for the empty dextrose calories I get every night from my dialysate fluid.

Living kidney donor needed; type B, O, or incompatible (with paired donation). Drop me a note (see profile).

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:18:58 PM PST

•  And don't forget about those of us (5+ / 0-)

extremely sensitive to cigarette odor having to sit next to someone whose very clothes reek of the stuff.

And people talk about this stuff by saying "Obesity is a choice." Well, if you ride a motorcycle without a helmet and end up a paraplegic, that's a choice too, so we should do away with all accommodations for the disabled?

Civility is the way of telling someone to go fuck themselves in such a way that the someone agrees it probably is a good idea.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:31:04 PM PST

•  Give an example (0+ / 0-)

of an accommodation that is similar to giving a free extra seat to an obese person OR allowing another's rented space to be encroached upon.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:09:37 PM PST

•  The child that climbs all over the seats.. (2+ / 0-)
            Cali Scribe, Kitsap River

and kicks them. I know I don't pay to have a freaking animal kicking my seat and screaming at me the entire flight, but I put up with it, because I'm a civil person.

•  Nope (0+ / 0-)

You can request a flight attendant deal with the situation.

I appreciate how civil of a person you try to be. I suspect your life is a bit more stressful because of it, however.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:17:14 PM PST

•  You absolutely do not have to put up (0+ / 0-)

with that.  Flight attendants will remedy that if called.  I'm a frequent traveler, and if a kid was messing with my seat, I'd (1) ask the parent to make him stop; and (2) if that didn't work, call the flight attendant.

If the person next to me is too big to fit into a seatand takes up a third of my already small seat, however, flight attendants cannot remedy that.

•  The person who needs lifesaving dialysis (1+ / 0-)
            Charles CurtisStanley

and needs to do an exchange mid-flight.

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:21:31 PM PST

•  Where (0+ / 0-)

is anyone advocating giving a free seat to an obese person?

by crose on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:41:21 PM PST

•  Free extra seat (0+ / 0-)

see above, comparing giving another seat and/or "accommodating" someone in your space to the accommodations at the post office for someone in a wheel chair.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:14:03 PM PST

•  Not for all the disabled (1+ / 0-)
          Charles CurtisStanley

Disability is rarely incurred by choice, but if you're going to follow the model of dark daze and DonkSlayer, make sure you identify anyone who has become disabled by engaging in reckless behavior by making him or her wear a scarlet letter. I suggest an A.

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:20:49 PM PST

•  I think we have 2 issues here (1+ / 0-)
        terrypinder
        One is that arlines cram as many people in as possible for economic reasons. And yes, you are right, even my 5'9" 145lb skinny ass finds the seats uncomfortable, so I live with it and try to be polite and cosiderate of people larger than me and yield a little space because I can. The solution to that his wider seats and higher airfare, or better yet, more trains because they are bigger and cheaper.

Next is the fact an increasing number of American are overweight because of life-style choices; they overeat, eat poorly and don't excercise. They are unhealthy and killing themselves, and in many cases living in denial about it. They need to eat less, eat better, excercise and stop making excuses. If they do so they will be healthier and happier and so will I. When I see such people out in resturats with jumbo plates piled to the sky it sometimes makes me ill and I think that's a rational reaction.

So let's not beat up on people because they are bigger than lousy cheapo arline seas, but let's also not brush the problems under the carpet.

Get healthy. Please.

Hi Terry, long time no see. How's PA?

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 02:16:21 PM PST

•  Poverty (2+ / 0-)
          Charles CurtisStanley, koNko

An increasing number of Americans are overweight or obese because they are poor and cheap food is stuffed full of empty calories. Fresh vegetables and the time to cook a healthy meal are both dear.

What do you plan to do about that?

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:24:10 PM PST

•  Don't spend money on airplane rides. (0+ / 0-)

To start with.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:15:22 PM PST

•  Yes because there are train route in every city, (0+ / 0-)
              and bus's don't take several days to complete a trip a plane can make in a matter of hours..

I'm so glad you live in the future but for the rest of us, we're dealing with reality here.

•  Agree thats a problem (1+ / 0-)
            Kitsap River

A social problem that can be solved with public education and, in some cases, neighborhood co-ops.  But i most cases I think people have healthier choices if they know about them and make effort.

I know lots of people get themselves addictited to cheap junk food and don't even think about the alternatives, but they exist in almost any supermarket. An apple is not more expensive than a big bag of potato chips but you have to make the choice.

But what I'm thinking about is what I see often in resturants; portions in many are too big already and that even pushes food on people just to raise prices. And then so many people really pile it on and simply overeat, and these a middle class or wealthy people who really have a choice.

One observation I have about the US and the UK is everythink is portions are so big - really, the amount of food could feed 2-4 people elsewhere. People should share food more.

Anyway, I hope this thread makes more people think about it - it is your health, your life.

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 10:44:43 PM PST

•  There do exist "food deserts" here, though (1+ / 0-)
              Charles CurtisStanley

Places where one cannot find or buy healthy food, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, do exist in the U.S. and are well-documented. They especially persist in areas of high poverty. This is not a problem that can be solved by education.

by Kitsap River on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 01:19:40 AM PST