View Diary: Kevin Smith is not Too Fat - SWA is Too Bigoted (and Stupid) to Fly! - Updated (177 comments)

•  And don't forget about those of us (5+ / 0-)

extremely sensitive to cigarette odor having to sit next to someone whose very clothes reek of the stuff.

And people talk about this stuff by saying "Obesity is a choice." Well, if you ride a motorcycle without a helmet and end up a paraplegic, that's a choice too, so we should do away with all accommodations for the disabled?

Civility is the way of telling someone to go fuck themselves in such a way that the someone agrees it probably is a good idea.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:31:04 PM PST

•  Give an example (0+ / 0-)

of an accommodation that is similar to giving a free extra seat to an obese person OR allowing another's rented space to be encroached upon.

Donk: Poker term referring to someone who pretends to be talented, smart and good at life. Syn.: Poser, faker, wannabe, loser.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:09:37 PM PST

•  The child that climbs all over the seats.. (2+ / 0-)
        Cali Scribe, Kitsap River

and kicks them. I know I don't pay to have a freaking animal kicking my seat and screaming at me the entire flight, but I put up with it, because I'm a civil person.

•  Nope (0+ / 0-)

You can request a flight attendant deal with the situation.

I appreciate how civil of a person you try to be. I suspect your life is a bit more stressful because of it, however.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:17:14 PM PST

•  You absolutely do not have to put up (0+ / 0-)

with that.  Flight attendants will remedy that if called.  I'm a frequent traveler, and if a kid was messing with my seat, I'd (1) ask the parent to make him stop; and (2) if that didn't work, call the flight attendant.

If the person next to me is too big to fit into a seatand takes up a third of my already small seat, however, flight attendants cannot remedy that.

•  The person who needs lifesaving dialysis (1+ / 0-)
        Charles CurtisStanley

and needs to do an exchange mid-flight.

Living kidney donor needed; type B, O, or incompatible (with paired donation). Drop me a note (see profile).

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:21:31 PM PST

•  Where (0+ / 0-)

is anyone advocating giving a free seat to an obese person?

Mal: "...So then the Shepherd says to the Companion, "Well, a good goat'll do that."

by crose on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:41:21 PM PST

•  Free extra seat (0+ / 0-)

see above, comparing giving another seat and/or "accommodating" someone in your space to the accommodations at the post office for someone in a wheel chair.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:14:03 PM PST

•  Not for all the disabled (1+ / 0-)
      Charles CurtisStanley

Disability is rarely incurred by choice, but if you're going to follow the model of dark daze and DonkSlayer, make sure you identify anyone who has become disabled by engaging in reckless behavior by making him or her wear a scarlet letter. I suggest an A.

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:20:49 PM PST

•  So obese people are all disabled involuntarily? (0+ / 0-)

Or are you just emotionally taking this way too far?

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:14:52 PM PST