View Diary: Kevin Smith is not Too Fat - SWA is Too Bigoted (and Stupid) to Fly! - Updated (177 comments)

•  I disagree (0+ / 0-)
    With all due respect, a large and increasing percentage of americans are overweight because they eat too much and/or poorly. This is not my opinion, but a statistical trend.

It is partly a result of growth hormones put in livetock but one can chose not to eat unhealthy food.

Whenever I visit the USA I'm really apalled by the number of overweight people and also the size of portions in resturants, which could feed a familly of 3-4 people in most countries.

Certianly obesity is a genetic condition for many people but a majority of Americans are above optimum and over 30% are clinically obese, and that suggests behavioral problems.

My reaction to this case which I posted was "I hope you lose weight, you are unhealthy".

Let me help you with this. In China, where I live, we also have an increasing trend of childhood obesity and this has been positively linked to diet, particularly the increasing amount of meat and junk food affluent people are feeding their kids and the tendancy to push food on children because our older generations experienced so much hunger. So now we also have increasing tends of related illness such as diabetes and colsteral related heart disease.

We did not suddenly develop a genetic pre-disposition; the diet and lifestyle of affluent people has simply become unheathy.

So with all due respect, and not passing judgement, I have to disagree and take issue with you broad generalization because it is living in dennial of a problem.

Maybe not yuor girlfriend's problem, but a general, social problem.

Overeating, poor eating and lack of excercise is causing a lot of people to be overweight and unhealthy, and they have another choice I hope they will take.

Thanks.

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:49:19 PM PST

•  Typical American schedule (2+ / 0-)

Where do you fit in regular exercise and time to prepare food in the schedule below?

Wake up at 4 am
      Grab a cup of coffee, get a chance to read the news, make a sandwich or other lunch
      In the shower by 5 am
      Get dressed: 5:30 am
      Out the door: 5:45 am
      Drive 6 miles to the boat. Park and get out. Walk to the boat. Take the boat to the other side. Dock at 6:45 am.
      Take a bus downtown.
      Take another bus to work.
      Arrive at work at 7:50 am.
      Work until lunch.
      Quickly grab your sandwich or other lunch and shovel it down while you're working during your lunch hour
      Work some more
      Start wrapping up at 5:00 (when you're officially off); sign out and leave the office at 5:15 pm
      Take a bus downtown
      Take a bus to the dock
      Run down the dock to the boat
      Take the 6:35 boat home. Walk from the boat to the parking lot with your car; drive 6 miles to get home unless you have to go to the pharmacy to pick up medication, or go to the store.
      Arrive home at 7:30 at the earliest, possibly later depending on errands.
      Fall asleep by 9 pm, usually in front of your computer.
      Get awakened by your wife at 11 or so and feed the dogs. Go to bed.

lather, rinse, repeat

Where is the time for healthy eating? Where is the time for exercising? I have suggested that he exercise at lunch, but he works through lunch; so many Americans do. We do not get breaks. Working through lunch is entirely typical and expected. if you don't do it, you're generally thought to be slacking. This is a dangerous perception for a manager to have of his or her employee - dangerous for the employee, in this economic climate.

We don't really have another choice, at least most of us do not, not if we want to keep our jobs.

Living kidney donor needed; type B, O, or incompatible (with paired donation). Drop me a note (see profile).

by Kitsap River on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 03:39:28 PM PST

•  Snark (0+ / 0-)

This has to be. Otherwise I missed the article explaining that all fit (or not overweight) folks don't have a full-time job.

Donk: Poker term referring to someone who pretends to be talented, smart and good at life. Syn.: Poser, faker, wannabe, loser.

by DonkSlayer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 04:18:05 PM PST

•  How many hours do you spend commuting a day? (1+ / 0-)
          Charles CurtisStanley

The above schedule is my partner's and I have written it in all honesty. He spends about 4 hours a day commuting. How many hours a day do you spend commuting?

There is absolutely no snark whatever in that schedule. No dishonesty. Nothing added, and nothing left out.

Where do you suggest he fit in exercise? Because he needs to and he isn't getting it.

by Kitsap River on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 12:40:41 AM PST

•  I think thatt's more exercise (1+ / 0-)
        Kitsap River

Than many people get. Really.

The point is this: what do you chose to eat? I'm also very busy and seldom have time for a good lunch. So I take fruit to work - I'm famous where I work for that. And it's faster and cheaper than grabbing junkfood.

If you eat better, you could save some trips to the pharmacy, and the money you spend on drugs would be better spent on something healthy to eat.

I think in any given workplace you sill find healthy and unhealthy people, the healthy ones tend to have different habits and make different choices, and the result is their quality of life is better.

And I don't buy the excuse that people who pile on the food don't have another choice; actually, if time is the issue, they could save time by eating less.

And I'm not saying people don't have problems or that we don't ages, etc. After my wife's pregnancy, it took her more than a year to get back to normal weight and really took effort on her part, but she had the desire to lose the weight and made the effort.

Not everyne is going to be rail thin, that's not even healthy for some people beacuse of body type. And certianly some beople have conditions that lead to obesity that really can only be controlled.

But I din't think that is the case with most overweight people.

One observation: between 1988-1995 I was out of the US and the first time I returned I immediately noticed a big change. The number of overweight people was drmatically increased, the amount of food people were eating in resturants was, um, like huge plates, and it seemed to be the new status quo.

In other words, there was a cultural change, a lifestyle change, and it wouldn't surprise me to find over this period obesity related disorders increased.

I just urge people to think about it and take control. Sincerely I do.

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:03:30 PM PST

•  I can tell you what the change is (2+ / 0-)
          Charles CurtisStanley, koNko

It's not just restaurants super-sizing portions. I can tell you in four words what a lot of the change is:
          high fructose corn syrup

The government subsidizes growing corn, and there is so much corn grown that a lot of it is converted into this poison. It permeates American processed food, restaurant food, treats, breads (most supposedly wholesome breads in the market contain this), soft drinks, sauces, anything with any sort of sweetening in it at all. Even savory sauces have this crap in it. You'd be surprised how conditions change not too far from us, in Vancouver, where the portion sizes in restaurants are about the same but you don't have the obesity problem that you do in the U.S. Both Vancouver and Seattle residents get a similar amount of exercise, I would imagine. The climate is close to identical and when it's raining in Van, it's going to rain here, or vice versa. People eat a similar diet in both places. Yet there's a greater obesity problem in Seattle than  there is in Vancouver, and I think it's because Canada doesn't subsidize corn sweeteners and encourage their addition to everything. In fact, in sugary pop, the U.S. versions are sweetened with corn syrup and the Canadian versions outlaw it. No joke. I am pretty convinced that HFCS is the culprit in a lot of obesity and so are quite a few other people. But try to find regular mainstream brands that don't use it; it's almost impossible, depending on the foodstuff, and you may wind up having to make it yourself.

This is one reason I have a bread machine. When you buy whole wheat bread in the market, unless you spend a long time reading all the labels, you might buy some that is not 100% whole grain and that contains HFCS. Depending on where you live and the size of your market, you might have a hard time finding any that meets the not-too-stringent criteria of being 100% whole grain and containing no HFCS; try it sometime. It's pretty difficult unless you live in or near a fairly good sized town. If you're in or near a small town and you've got one, maybe two small markets, good luck to you; you'll need it! Anyway, I make my own bread for this reason. I know what is in it. There are no preservatives. You can pronounce everything I put into it. You don't need a chemical dictionary to understand what any of it is. Yes, I sweeten my bread; you have to in order to make the yeast happy. I use local honey, or pure maple syrup, or (once in a while) actual cane sugar. There is never any corn syrup in it. The only corn that might once in a while get into it is corn meal. There is salt in my bread, too, because I've forgotten and left it out and boy, does it rise funny. It's not overly salty, though, which an awful lot of American food is.

In recent years, really within the last decade to decade and a half or so, food scientists working for the big food corporations have learned how to maximize cravings for their particular kind of food. They've learned how to make us crave cheap fats, salt, and sweeteners. They've learned that the cheaper sweetener - corn syrup - contains less nutritive value as the body interprets it per calorie consumed, so they can use this to make us buy more and more. They do everything they can to make addicts out of the general population, and then we get criticized for being the most obese nation on earth.

Yes, there are things individuals can and should do to take back ownership of their bodies and break the addiction cycle, but the fact that we are all addicted is less our fault and more the fault of those who snuck this up on us and profited richly thereby.

by Kitsap River on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 01:00:44 AM PST

•  Very interesting (2+ / 0-)

Thanks for explaining that, it makes sense.  Actually, in chinese cooking we commonly use green bean powder or corn starch as a coating of thickening agent. Traditionally bean powder is preferred because i't adds protien and has a good flavor while corn starch is, well, starchy and flavorless. But generally, resturants (except vegetarian of fine resturants)generally use corn starch and MSG to enhance the flavor of food so you will want more and I wonder if the corn starch has a similar effect as the corn sweetener. MSG is actually a by-prouct of sugar refining, in home cooking we normally use a pinch of brown cane sugar instead and cane juice is actually considered to be a health-food drink in winter (but that is unrefined, just the juice from steamed canes sometimes mixed with ginger juice).

by koNko on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 08:14:08 AM PST

•  It's not just portions... (0+ / 0-)

there's also the fact we tend to have food in the U.S. that is less and less nutritious for the same cost.  People are eating more but getting less out of it because of factory farming.

Vyan

Commmunism = Government Run Corporations. Fascism = Corporate Run Government. Freedom = Government Protecting People from Corporate Criminals

by Frank Vyan Walton on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 05:10:20 PM PST

•  True (0+ / 0-)

And the worst things are the steroids and antibiotics in meat, the saturated fats and the incredible amount of sugar in prepared foods. Sugar is definately additive.

Seriously, eating commercial poultry, beef or pork in any great amount probably is a significant contributor to obesity. The same chemicals used to plump up the livestock plumps up the humans too.  People need to think about that.

Eat your friggin vegetables like Mom said.

by koNko on Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:09:12 PM PST