View Diary: Breaking - Light plane hits office building in Austin, Texas - Updated (398 comments)

•  Geez (4+ / 0-)

We had a light plane crash here in our little city in the Bay Area yesterday morning.  The three in the plane were killed and blessedly although pieces of the plane hit a private home and a day care center, nobody else was injured.

They don't know whether it was low-lying fog or something else.

So to read this today in Texas just shivers me out.  When it rains it pours =(

If you don't stand for something, you will go for anything. Visit Maat's Feather

by shanikka on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 08:40:38 AM PST

•  Two buildings hit in TX in 24 hours (5+ / 0-)

I typed plane hits building into Google News, and the first story that popped up was from Amarillo 19 hours ago.

Weird.

Coincidence?  Yeah, I think that's what a coincidence is.

Snarka Snarka Snarka!

by Hunter Huxley on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 08:51:28 AM PST

•  The big problem with this all is .... (1+ / 0-)
      Texas Blue Dot

the FAA.  Small airports all accross the country that have been 'donated' to communities after WW II actually hold the communities hostage to their actions, and the FAA will not provide the local residents any relief or assist.

I know, I live across a small river from one of those airports, the flight pattern does not call for the planes to fly over our heavily populated area, but they do it constantly.  Foreign flight schools make the bulk of the 'training ' programs in small airports here in FL, and well, we all know where some of those trained pilots ended up.

Local governemnets are impotent against the FAA, they are told that any and all who want to utilize those small airports for incessant touch and goes and training are to be welcomed, no restrictions whatsoever.

Look for more homes, office buildings and otherwise heavily populated areas to be hit in the future.  This si America now under our FAA.

Democrats left unsupervised from the very top are incapable of governing in any meaningful way. That's the bottom line.

by emsprater on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 09:22:51 AM PST

•  Booo! (5+ / 0-)

Stop the fear mongering. The "America under the FAA" crap is crazy and stupid.

•  DO you live in ... (0+ / 0-)

an area adjacent to any of the hundreds of small airports in the country that communities are forced to keep up because they were once 'gifted' to them?

You are not likely to even understand the issue, given your most 'heinous' response.

by emsprater on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 10:00:31 AM PST

•  why yes, yes I do (2+ / 0-)
            janmtairy, Sarbec

I understand the issue because I'm a pilot who flies out of some of those small airports.  I also live within five miles of three airports and have traffic overhead all the time when I'm not flying, so I know it from both sides.

What I understand is that there are always a bunch of crazy NIMBY activists that live around every airport, whose mission in life is to get the local airport closed.  They are usually ignorant of most matters aviation related, quick to generalize, prone to exaggerate, and not above just plain fabricating grievances.  I am very thankful for AOPA and the FAA's defense of our national transportation infrastructure.

"They let 'em vote, smoke, and drive -- even put 'em in pants! So what do you get? A -- a Democrat for President!" ~ Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

by craiger on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 10:32:08 AM PST

•  Great. One of the pilots who ... (0+ / 0-)

has more rights than the folks on the ground beneath him.

My son in law and my future son in law are both pilots trained at airports around my home.  My home is not in the path of any runway, yet every touch and go flies directly over my house, on the south bank of the river, instead of flying over the north bank of the river which is uninhabited wetland, where the flight pattern published by the airport calls for those planes to fly.

The airport is welcome to be in my community as long as it acts like a good neighbor.  It's the folks who disregard the 'voluntary' rules (yep folks, most of the rules that apply are voluntary, no enforcement, no recourse) that give folks like yourself a bad rap and cause folks to be all 'NIMBY'.

But, why do planes fly over ( it's the take offs and landings that count) heavily populated areas when there is an acceptable alternative?  BECAUSE THEY CAN.

We'll see more of planes into homes in the future, bet on it.

by emsprater on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 01:51:54 PM PST

•  Because they can? (0+ / 0-)

Please specify exactly which airport you are talking about.

by craiger on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 03:45:22 PM PST

•  It's ... (0+ / 0-)

a small municipal airport in Florida used mostly for the many local small flight schools that train mostly people from out of the country.  Even the owners of one of the schools are from out of the country.  Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but by and large folks who have no ties to the community are not apt to be 'good neighbors' and follow the 'voluntary' flight patterns.

I won't give the specific name because in this day and age, freedom of information acts and such, you or anyone with a minimum amount of ability to research could show up on my front doorstep tomorrow morning.

And yes, even the local government officials response has now become 'because they can'.

by emsprater on Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 05:40:44 AM PST

•  Don't build next to the airport (6+ / 0-)

And don't live next to it either.  If it's been there since WWII, every resident chose to live there.  Suround the airfields with cropland then.

Sorry, but the FAA didn't force anyone to build homes and buildings under the flight path of an existing runway.

It's the same argument as the idiots who move to Wrigleyville and then whine about the noise and crowds of Cubs games.  If you don't like it, why do you live there?

•  Although I will say that (1+ / 0-)
          janmtairy

my grandmother had a right to complain about her house in Des Plaines... when they bought it in the 30s, O'Hare was nowhere NEAR the monstrosity it is today.

That said, I live so close to Love Field now that I don't even notice the planes when they go over.

"I hope they'll know that fools with megaphones or runny mouths just don't count." - Donal Og Cusack

by Texas Blue Dot on Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 10:19:43 AM PST

•  Folks with your usual response .. (0+ / 0-)

have no real understanding of the issue.

Most of these small airports that were 'gifted' to local communities after WW II were designed to be small community airports.  They had one runway, often a dirt runway, no tower, and was base for only local sport pilots and thus only a few flights per week occurred. Local governments are required to keep those airports open to everything, with threat of 'owing' the FAA for every fund ever obtained from the FAA if they are closed or restricted in any way.

Now, these same airports have grown in some places to be overly aggressive and host hundreds of flights per day for training schools that train pilots mostly from other countries.

My home was built in the early 1980's.  The airport at that time was one runway, with few flights per week.  It expanded to two runways (a third has been proposed), and in 2004, with local government assistance, it obtained a grant and got a tower.  Once the tower was placed, all heck has broken loose. As many as 6 single engine and twin engine small training flights go directly over my home every 5 minutes for the large part of most nice days. This doesn't even account for the latest addition, a helicopter training school. I am not at the end of any runway, they actually have to bank right about 40 degrees from the extended center of the runway to target my home.  The voluntary flight pattern requests the planes to bank left about 10 degrees to take the flights further over non populated area.

Anyway, what you suggest, 'don't build your home near an airport' is a lame response.  What has occurred over time is he same as building your home on a two lane street and having it become an 8 lane interstate with no recourse.

Also, since the placement of the tower in 2004 and the increase in flights over my home, homes on both sides of me were 'for sale' and went unsold because of the airport.  Unsold waterfront property in Florida with direct river access that connects to the intercoastal waterway is not a normal occurrence.

by emsprater on Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 06:09:53 AM PST

•  It's been a bad week for small-plane crashes... (0+ / 0-)

There was one on Monday in Monmouth, NJ at a small airport that killed five people.

"Specialization is for insects." -- Heinlein