View Diary: VA Legislative Sentry: Have a Miscarriage, Go to JAIL? (231 comments)

•  Yeah (4.00)
    I've read a few good comments on BFA when I first mentioned this story last night...like that if this becomes law, all menstruating women should call their police departments every month to report possible losses of products of conception.  I mean, we wouldn't want to run afoul of the law, right?  Since something like 30-50% of all pregnancies are lost in the first few weeks, usually without the woman knowing, it might be better to be safe than sorry.

ARRRRRGGGHHH!

•  exactly (3.96)

The majority of fertilized egges are sloughed off. Clearly the women of Virginia, at least those who still have sex,  need to be sending Delegate Cosgrove their used tampons and napkins.. After all, they wouldn't want to break the law. I'm guessing we could get women from all over the country to do this with a nice little note expl;aining basic fucking biology and suggesting that he determine the gender of the fetus.

What a bonehead. I'm so glad the pro-life movement isn't peopled by misogynistic assholes. we would really be in trouble then.

"...the definition of a gaffe in Washington is somebody who tells the truth but shouldn't have." Howard Dean

by colleen on Thu Jan 06, 2005 at 05:19:27 PM PST

•  Housedust (none)
        Housedust and shower wastewater have precious human skin cells in them which can be converted into human embryos via nuclear transplantation and therapeutic cloning.  Therefore, we will need to outlaw both housecleaning and bathing in order to be completely consistent.

I keep wondering where these maniacs intend to find all the wombs to house all the embryos they seek to save.  A dystopic enslavement of women is the only way.

They keep forgetting that, if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass when it jumps.

"Force always attracts those of low morality." -- Albert Einstein

by eyeswideopen on Thu Jan 06, 2005 at 06:15:52 PM PST

•  Gack! (none)
        I am SOOO glad I had the office door closed when I read that... wouldn't want to have to explain to a dozen retired (male) Army officers why I'm guffawing.

I think it's illegal to send human blood products through the mail without the proper packaging.  This means you'd either have to procure the proper packaging or just deliver these potential children yourself to the Honorable Delegate.

I'd so do it if I lived in Virginia...

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely in my name.

by A Texan in Maryland on Thu Jan 06, 2005 at 11:12:39 PM PST

•  grand idea (none)
        "Clearly the women of Virginia, at least those who still have sex,  need to be sending Delegate Cosgrove their used tampons and napkins.. After all, they wouldn't want to break the law. I'm guessing we could get women from all over the country to do this with a nice little note expl;aining basic fucking biology and suggesting that he determine the gender of the fetus."

I'm game, anyone else? I'll ship them directly to Cosgrove.
        Sent an email to him, happy to hear from Miss Maura!

•  That's the first thought I had as well. (none)
      Swamp the police departments with "menses" reports.     What a pinhead.

Socially libertarian, Fiscally conservative, 100% Democrat. Cheney unity!

by No One No Where on Thu Jan 06, 2005 at 08:43:40 PM PST

•  Actually (4.00)
      Since I proposed the idea, I'd like to clarify:

We should personally call Cosgrove himself each time we menstruate.  Not in order to obey the law, but because millions of hormonal women calling constantly might shut him up, or at least make him reconsider his little hobby of preoccupying himself with the product of our reproductive systems...

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." -- Wendell Phillips

by poemless on Fri Jan 07, 2005 at 09:17:14 AM PST

•  Told Mr. Cosgrove about my possible fetal death: (4.00)
      Every time I check the new comments to this thread, I get more and more angry. So I sent an email. (I tried calling first, but got a machine.)

Dear Mr. Cosgrove,

I have recently learned of the state of Viriginia's HB 1677. Athough
      this legislation is not yet law, I would  like to notify you as if it were.

I started my menstrual period last night. Because I am a sexually active
      adult, it is possible that what I believe to be my period is, in fact, a
      miscarriage and a fetal death, so I would like to report my period to
      you, as there are currently no other designated proper authorities.
      Would you also like me to forward all of my used tampons and napkins to
      your office so that you can test them to determine if what I believe is
      my period is, in fact, a fetal death? Once this fine piece of
      legislation becomes law, I suspect that testing of female sanitary
      napkins, tampons, and blood and waste vials resulting from every woman's
      period/possible fetal death would be an outstanding use of police and
      medical lab time and money, especially since I'm sure that those labs
      are currently not busy at all dealing with true medical issues and
      crimes. I have no doubt that taxpayers would also relish seeing their
      tax dollars testing the menstrual blood of each and every female past
      puberty in the state of Virginia.

Also, I would like to apologize for the time it has taken for me to
      report this possible fetal death to your office. My period actually
      started last night, so I am outside the 12-hour reporting period that
      you have designated for reporting of a fetal death. However, since my
      period is still happening, I suppose the potential fetal death could be
      currently ongoing, and I am would be within my 12-hour time frame
      according to your proposed legislation. I have felt ill since the
      onstart of my period and/or fetal death, and have not been up to the
      task of immediately jumping up and reporting this to you. I am sure that
      a woman in her ninth week of a welcome, celebrated and  joyous pregnancy
      would be more than happy, in the midst of her terrible physical pain, mental anguish and grief, to be more prompt than I in reporting her
      fetal death to the proper authorities.

Though I live in the state of Texas, your legislation is important and could have ramifications to the others states of this nation, so I feel it is my responsibility to examine your proposed legislation and also
      take the preemptive action of notifying you of the onset of my period.
      Next month, I will attempt to be more prompt with my fetal death report.

[personal contact information]

Typically when I contact my senators and representatives, I try to be a little less snarky. Not this time. I'm too angry at the stupidity of this one to send a rational argument.

Oh well, I wasn't using that civil liberty anyway.

by think2004 on Fri Jan 07, 2005 at 02:57:20 PM PST

•  excellent letter (none)

I feel you've adopted the appropriate tone here and, may I just say, Texas women are just wonderful. I'd move there if it weren't for the fundies.

by colleen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 at 05:00:34 PM PST

•  I received a reply to my letter (none)
        Would I be infringing on anything if I reproduced it here to share with everyone concerned about this issue? I'd like to, but don't want to do anything against the law or privacy rights.

His response included the blurb mentioned here about the Chesapeake PD's request, and goes on to say this his bill in no way intends to charge women who suffer miscarriages and don't report it.  He says he would not want to "inflict this type of emotional torture on a woman who has suffered such a traumatic event as a miscarriage, and I am confident that the General Assembly of Virginia would also not pass such a terrible imposition on a woman" and says that he hopes "that you will understand the original intent of this bill."

While I appreciate his response, I do not see his "intent" in the bill. I see no reason to back off of Cosgrove and anyone else who supports this bill until this bill is withdrawn and completely rewritten to properly encompass his actual, and ONLY his actual, intent. If the intent of his bill is as he has responded, he and his lawyers have done a very, very poor job writing this bill.

Can anyone in Virginia get to the bottom of what the Chesapeake PD requested, and how it morphed into this HB1677 that does not address what Cosgrove claims to intend, and is dangerous in its language as it currently stands? Does anyone have info on Cosgrove's  stance as to a woman's reproductive rights?

I plan to respond to his response with a composed letter pointing out the holes in the bill, and that while I appreciate his original intent, nothing should be left open to interpretation in a bill that includes anything relating to reproductive rights. His bill needs to be rewritten in full, and I will tell him so.

If we continue to email, write, and phone his office, and get the message out to the public as to this terrible infringement on a women's rights as this bill is currently written, perhaps we can make a difference.

The pressure he's receiving is apparent in his response, and he's already discussing this with his "legislative services lawyers" to "include language that will define the bill to apply only to those babies that are abandoned."

We need to stay on this. I will do what I can and urge others to do the same.

Oh well, I wasn't using that civil liberty anyway.

by think2004 on Sat Jan 08, 2005 at 07:55:04 AM PST

•  was this the response you received? (none)
          Cross post (to another forum discussing this issue) of a form letter received in response to an email sent to Cosgrove.  Was this the form response that you received, too?