View Diary: The Combustible Mix of Populism and Hyperbole (79 comments)

•  And yet... (6+ / 0-)

For all your outrage and frustration, you did not challenge the central point of that diary in that we live in a system in which not only may the regulators (whether on the agency level or the Congressional level) leave government and go to work for the business they supposedly regulate, they routinely do so, and at massive salaries, meaning that every single regulator in Washington or the states knows that they can have a profitable future if they do not upset the industries they regulate.

The system is, in and of itself, corrupting to the officials and toxic to people's faith in that system, even if you (and many others) are not personally corrupted by the system.

•  Whatever. The central point of MY diary (20+ / 0-)

does not have to do with the central point of the other diary.

My diary deals with when in all the outrage against government, one crosses the line into hyperbole.

That has a tendency to be dangerous.

Want to solve the problem you cite? Pay the regulators salaries that are at least competitive with the private sector.  That's been a sticking point by OPM and the federal government for years.

Because nobody wants to see their taxes go up for good government.

When you get too big a majority, you're immediately in trouble. -- Sam Rayburn

by wmtriallawyer on Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 11:18:32 AM PST

•  your center is hyperventilating nonsense (1+ / 2-)
        GillesDeleuze
        Hidden by:
        wmtriallawyer, vcmvo2

You would have to still be wearing your 3d Avatar glass and be high to read Cenk's diary and come out with a Norquist-like hatred for government.

Cenk was attacking a system that gives regulators a direct incentive to sell out to special interests so they can go work for those same special interests and add a zero to the end of their salaries.

Who outside of Dick Army could possibly have a problem with that?

I'm a part of the reality-based community, not the personality-based community.

by Uberbah on Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 01:44:08 PM PST

•  HR'ed for the personal attack. (0+ / 0-)

Lots of people read it that way, so the 3D Glasses/must have been high crack applies to a hell of a lot of people.

I get his point.  He went way over the top in making it.  And I think he did it exactly that way on purpose.  Considering he didn't debunk it, or change it, despite a pretty large response calling him on it, I'll stand by what I said...his rhetoric is inflammatory and dangerous.

When you get too big a majority, you're immediately in trouble. -- Sam Rayburn

by wmtriallawyer on Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 01:55:16 PM PST

•  HR abuse on 2 levels (0+ / 0-)
            1. You aren't supposed to do it in your own diary
            1. You aren't supposed to do it with someone you are arguing with

Then, of course, it's not an ad hominem if it's true.  The only person on the planet that should be complaining about Cenk's diary is Dick Army.

Yawn.  Some more "inflammatory and dangerous" rhetoric:

I'm a part of the reality-based community, not the personality-based community.

by Uberbah on Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 01:58:07 PM PST

•  Funny...I wasn't "fighting" with you. (0+ / 0-)

In fact, it was the first response I made back to you.

And I read nothing that says I can't do it in my own diary.

Perhaps instead of saying people are "high" and throwing personal attacks throughout your comments I'd respect your comments more.

But you've gotten to the point of spamming the diary as well.  I'll stand by my hide rating.

When you get too big a majority, you're immediately in trouble. -- Sam Rayburn

by wmtriallawyer on Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 02:04:34 PM PST

•  who said "fighting"? making more shit up, I see (0+ / 0-)

In fact, it was the first response I made back to you.

When you decided to argue.

And I read nothing that says I can't do it in my own diary.

Maybe you should read more:

Don't HR people in your own diary. n/t (0+ / 0-)

I refuse to accept "no can do" as a proper slogan for progressives.

by Meteor Blades on Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 03:50:49 PM PST

Perhaps if you weren't making a hyperventilating, over the top, knee jerk response reaction diary, you wouldn't find people rising to your level.

But now I have an argument of convenience to dismiss you out of hand without bothering to address the points raised.

Fixed that for you.

I'm a part of the reality-based community, not the personality-based community.

by Uberbah on Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 02:17:09 PM PST

•  The rules on HR say "fighting" (0+ / 0-)

Not arguing.

But whatever.  I've seen your game before. Stir shit up in diaries and then nail yourself on a cross when you get called on it.  It gets old.

When you get too big a majority, you're immediately in trouble. -- Sam Rayburn

by wmtriallawyer on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 03:35:45 AM PST

•  Cenk offers no solutions and neither do you (2+ / 0-)
      vcmvo2, ThisIsMyTime

So he didn't deal with HIS OWN central point very well, did he?

That's because his point was to throw red meat and rile some people up. He's becoming a s#!t-stirrer for populist dems.

"Look Ferb, there's a red herring! Lets follow it and see where it leads us!" - Phineas

by malharden on Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 12:17:52 PM PST

•  more irrelevant complaints (0+ / 0-)

Cenk offers no solutions

That's what the neocons said when we wanted to GTFO of Iraq.  That was a bullshit complaint then, and it is now.

Hint: we elected leaders to you know, lead.  Not to elect people and also have to tell them how to do their jobs.

I'm a part of the reality-based community, not the personality-based community.

by Uberbah on Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 01:45:58 PM PST

• Rescued (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Politics (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Freddie Gray (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site