View Diary: GOP Smackdown: Obama Threw Down The Gauntlet At The Health Summit (234 comments)

•  Would have been happier (2+ / 0-)
    doinaheckuvanutjob, HylasBrook

if they could cast something in stone before then, i.e. give the GOP a week then announce a definite course of action. Even if they don't move for 5 weeks or so the definitive statement would be in place.

This still looks like hedging to me.

Harry Reid's lack of backbone is an act, his obstructionism isn't.

by stevej on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 03:35:55 PM PST

•  didn't see it (2+ / 0-)
      littlenomad, HylasBrook

don't understand the context. but 4-6 weeks seems really long and only gives them time to screw things up even more.

I hear gardening is a nice hobby.

by SeanF on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 03:41:25 PM PST

•  Budget reconciliation will not be done until (13+ / 0-)

April - believe it or not, HCR is not the only thing that will be in there.

So, the time is there regardless of what the Repubs choose to do or not do with it.  The Dems will have their fix ready - it does not delay their timeline to tell the Repubs to step up during this time frame.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 03:56:47 PM PST

•  Yes. (0+ / 0-)

Absolutely.  There's plenty of time to screw this up all over again and have more Lieberman-esque antics from ConservaDems.  Plus, if a bill is passed, it won't be worth a damn to most Americans.

Forget this "step in the right direction" bullshit.  This was the one chance at meaningful HCR for a generation, and it has been blown.

•  Yes. Like "Summer Recess." Remember that? (1+ / 0-)
          jennylind

"You can never sink so low in life that you can't be a bad example for somebody." - My Dad

by briefer on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 04:20:40 PM PST

•  boo effin hoo (3+ / 0-)
          vcmvo2, claytonben, majii

i'll keep my defeatism oriented towards my love life not HCR thank you very much.

I hear gardening is a nice hobby.

by SeanF on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 04:32:26 PM PST

•  Sean, (1+ / 0-)
            blueoasis

Then what was the point of all of this?  Could you please tell me?  Minor insurance reforms?  That wasn't what people fucking campaigned on.  It's not okay.  I'm not a Firebagger, I'm not a Naderite, I'm not suggesting Barack be primaried, or any such garbage.  But I am extremely disappointed in the President and Congress--especially in regards to this issue.  Single Payer or Public Option.  That was the point.  The point was missed.

•  I feel your pain (2+ / 0-)
              Mgleaf, MooseHB

But try not to get too bummed out. You (probably) and I would both love nothing better than single payer universal health care, a federal maximum wage, and the return of the 70% top marginal tax rate.

But we're in the minority on this, and those things aren't gonna happen, at least not for a while. In the meantime, "the point of all this," for me at least, is the national acknowledgment that it is the federal government's job to see to it that all Americans have healthcare.

Right now, if you don't have health insurance, it's your problem. After this bill passes, it'll be America's Problem, and we'll committed as a nation to solving it.

You and I can think of better ways to solve it than this, but a fundamental shift in thinking that adds health coverage for all Americans to our nation's larger social contract is not a trivial one.

"Not all conservatives are assholes, but most assholes are conservatives." --me

by Blank Frank on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 08:02:40 PM PST

•  i look at HCR as a sweater (2+ / 0-)
              ozsea1, ultraviolet uk

a la Weezer. Pull a thread from my sweater. and it starts to fray. Make any change and much more change becomes possible. I look at the HCR debacle as an impossible knot with no solution.

Other than unraveling it. Any change starts the process. That means that the priority is passing something so we can start. The details are details.

I hear gardening is a nice hobby.

by SeanF on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 11:36:03 PM PST

•  and i appreciate your substantive (0+ / 0-)

response to my somewhat provocative post! ;)

I hear gardening is a nice hobby.

by SeanF on Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 11:37:07 PM PST