View Diary: Dems letting Bunning win on UI/COBRA? (253 comments)

•  Why do we even have a Democratic Party? (6+ / 0-)

If they allow one guy to get away with this, they can't stand up to one guy, why do we even have a political party?  Is it any wonder that my desire to open my wallet for these guys is waning by the second?

No one I know is as cowardly as a Democratic politician.  I have dated women who are in the military.  My friends number veterans of Vietnam and the first Gulf War.  I once got into a fistfight in a bar because a guy wanted my friends and I to leave.  The ordinary Americans I've known and loved have hearts filled with courage and bravery, both in combat and in facing everyday challenges.  So who are these guys?  Who the hell is as lazy and cowardly as these guys?  No one I know.

Don't make excuses for them.

"It was like that when I got here." - Homer Simpson

by rbird on Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 09:02:47 AM PST

•  Jesus fecking christ. (4+ / 0-)

What fucking especially whiny lunatics here today. "Get away with it"? He did it. They can't shoot him in the face, for fuck's sake. They argued with him and tried to talk sense into him - good for them - and now he looks like a fucking idiot.

Everybody needs a fucking ambien and a few martinis.

•  That would have been great, though. (1+ / 0-)
        Little

Durbin unloads a shotgun into his brainpan. Or a hatchet. A long-handled axe--and Durbin leaps onto the desk and chases Bunning around the chamber until he hacks him up howling like a maniac. Or a chainsaw. Two chainsaws! Wait--Two chainsaws and a team of pitbulls. Yeah.

Yeah. That would be awesome. Hahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.

What?

If you've lamented the slipping morality of America while snorting cocaine off a male hooker's back during the filming "Jesus Camp", you might be a Republican.

by The Gryffin on Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 09:18:12 AM PST

•  Sorry, but 'fighting for us' and going home are (5+ / 0-)

not the same thing. If they REALLY wanted to, the dems could call on media and make humiliating statement about Bunning's action publicly so that it's shown on most of the 6 o'clock news around the country. I'd bet he'd back down then.

•  Try peddling that BS (3+ / 0-)
        PhilK, Alanhawaii, kwt3200

to the people about to get seriously screwed because their unemployment benefits ran out.

Bullies NEVER give in to cowardice, a lesson the Democratic Senators seem not to have learned.

But hey, maybe your "Democrats, just appease rat bastards like Bunning and everything will be fine" strategy will pay off with even more Senate & House seats come November.

Sure it will, on Bizarroworld.

When it comes to Texas Politics, "Stupid" Plays Very Well

by KingCranky on Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 11:03:39 AM PST

•  Another apologist for cowardice heard from (0+ / 0-)

Or maybe it's just laziness.  This is why they get away with it time after time.  Gotta cover their little asses every time, huh?  What are you a congressional staffer dependent for your job on sucking up to these guys?

"It was like that when I got here." - Homer Simpson

by rbird on Sat Feb 27, 2010 at 09:33:24 AM PST

•  You could not possibly be (0+ / 0-)

stupider.

•  Wonderful (0+ / 0-)

FDR took heads, not literally, but he knew how to push people around.  Do you think LBJ got the central reforms of the Great Society through by being a nice guy?  Even the non-violent civil rights movement pushed people around, once again, not literally, but with words and political action.  You can't get things done facing intransigent obstructionists by being a "nice guy."  You gotta get tough.

Your silly response makes me conclude that I am right:  you are a congressional staffer making excuses for his cowardly bosses.  Or they could just be exceptional lazy.  Hard to tell.

"It was like that when I got here." - Homer Simpson

by rbird on Sat Feb 27, 2010 at 08:46:06 PM PST

•  I will take one step back (0+ / 0-)

They may not be cowardly, just uncommitted to the causes they espouse.  Say anything to get elected, then just get along once you're in, not cause any waves, and raise money for your next campaign.

If you are a congressional staffer, I hope you're well-paid, cuz money's the only thing you'll be taking away from the job.  Anything for a buck, I guess.

"It was like that when I got here." - Homer Simpson

by rbird on Sat Feb 27, 2010 at 08:54:38 PM PST

•  You got me. I'm a congrssional staffer. (0+ / 0-)

I have to do this job via telepathy from my rural home between the Siskyous and Cascades, but hey - it's a living.

Sillly?

•  Just read a bio of FDR, (0+ / 0-)

so I kinda overreact when our contemporary Democratic politicians show such weakness.  Why can't we have an FDR?  This has been accentuated by the LBJ tapes.  You can actually hear him applying strong-arm tactics to southern politicians who were opposing his reforms.  The Right understands hardball politics.  We used to understand it.

Ever see the SNL skit where Obama turns into the Hulk?  That's what I'm waiting for.

There's a great line from the movie "Chariots of Fire":  "What we need are muscular Christians!"  We need a few muscular Democrats.

The congressional staffer bit?  It's a convenient fiction in aid of my vitriol.  Though given the frequency with which Democratic politicians and their staffers suck up to progressives when they need money, there might be a little truth to it.  The state of things as they are now, there are only two or three Democratic senators I'd ever give money to again.  And none of them are in the leadership.

"It was like that when I got here." - Homer Simpson