View Diary: The Left is Coming! The Left is Coming!! (22 comments)

•  I hope you can too. (0+ / 0-)

If not, spread the word. I think this will be an incredible opportunity.

I know we scare the shit out of them. I think that's one reason the Tea Party gets so much coverage, but movements on the left get nothing - the Tea Party is no threat whatsoever to the dominant economic system, as evidenced by who is funding it. Our movements seek to create something new and sustainable, and that means the capitalist press tends to ignore it.

Which is why we need to spread the word! :)

See you in Detroit this June for the United States Social Forum! http://www.ussf2010.org/

by cruz on Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 05:56:39 AM PDT

•  Cruz let me ask you (1+ / 0-)
      cruz

Reading this group's literature ... it appears that the mission statement, its goals, and most of the work it will be doing is very race-centered.  There is a mention of race in just about everything I've read in the link you've provided.  I support equality in opportunity, justice, and voice.  But my city has been so racked with such a polarized sense of itself racially for so many decades I'm curious as to whether this doesn't seem like more of the same.

I hope not.

But perhaps you can shed some light on why the literature has such a segregated feel to it (ala people of color and indigenous versus the white community).  Why does it sound so EXclusive instead of INclusive?

I honestly want to understand the thinking.

My problem, if there is no clear mission behind it, nor a plan for outreach to ALL communities - then it will not be good for the City of Detroit.  Because like it or not, the one thing this city is missing ... is money.  And the money is tucked neatly away in the white communities in Auburn Hills, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, and other points north.  The last thing in the world this city needs is a sense that more polarization is coming.  Because there is currently a movement afoot that some may not yet be able to detect that could result in a reintegration of affluent families into the city and I don't want to see ANYTHING disturb that progress.  It will benefit everyone in the city and outlying areas to have the city revitalized, new housing, new buildings, new roads, new commerce.  And that can only happen if the walls between the races come down.

"This Space for Rent"

by Detroit Mark on Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 06:07:26 AM PDT

•  I'll do my best. (3+ / 0-)
        wu ming, lounovak, Burned

First, the emphasis is on people of color and indigenous peoples because from a global perspective, those groups are the majority. Second, these groups are the most impacted by the neo-liberal (and primarily white and male-led) economic policies that have dominated the past several decades, both here in Detroit and around the globe, and wreaked such havoc and destruction.

These groups are also the most marginalized and ignored - both in the mainstream media, and among progressive/left activists. The Forum is not a place for white people to once again take the lead and tell people of color what they need to do. The Forum is about these communities and organizations taking the lead and working with others to fight these struggles.

Now, the Forum in no way excludes whites. In fact, there are many whites working on the Forum and in some cases leading certain groups. The Forum is committed to inclusion, and in practice it is probably the most inclusive thing I've ever seen. In fact, I'd challenge anyone to find an organization more inclusive.

But I don't believe that focusing on the issues facing people of color and indigenous communities are by their nature exclusive. Everyone suffers under rapacious state-capitalism, including whites (how many poor whites in the U.S. are getting the shit kicked out of them right now?). But we have to recognize that racism has been central to both the success of this economic system, and also to the failure of traditionally white/wealthy dominated organizations on the left to battle it.

You and I will disagree on the solution for Detroit - that rich white families need to move back in. I don't believe there is anything inherently valuable in being white or rich. For myself, a community is successful based not on how many rich or white people there are (which was the motive behind all the high-priced condos that were built - how'd that work out?), but on how its working class is doing. The solution for Detroit involves the empowerment of its working class communities, and these communities have to take the lead.

I urge you to read the information on the Forum closely, and look at the organizations and people involved. It is not exclusive - as I said, it is the most inclusive and supportive political process I've ever seen.

I'm white, by the way, if that helps.

by cruz on Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 06:30:01 AM PDT

•  Thanks for your thorough answer! (nt) (1+ / 0-)
          cruz

"This Space for Rent"

by Detroit Mark on Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 07:25:54 AM PDT

•  Thanks for your thoughtful question (0+ / 0-)

and I hope you can help spread the word.

by cruz on Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 07:26:53 AM PDT

•  No ma'am (0+ / 0-)

I cannot support your organization.  You are correct.  We do disagree on some very fundamental ways in which the City of Detroit needs to address its problems.  I believe accentuating racial differences is the status quo.  It has always been the approach in Detroit, and it has produced nothing but failure in both fiscal and governmental modes.  The city needs change.  Good luck in your endeavor.

"This Space for Rent"

by Detroit Mark on Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 07:29:57 AM PDT

•  And I believe (1+ / 0-)
                lounovak

that by ignoring the central aspect of race in American politics we do nothing but strengthen the status quo.

I suppose it is a matter of perception and experience. I don't see the Forum as "accentuating racial differences," and if you decided to take part and see how it is run, I can almost guarantee you would agree.

by cruz on Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 07:45:16 AM PDT